ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Just want to work my hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by aiden01 »

p5aul789 wrote:I was supposed to start a 25 hour position today. So I go in at 9am and are told there are no vans AGAIN!!

One of the managers says to me "You can either wait and come back after midday or, if you do me a favour (that old chestnut again!) and do a couple of extra loops for me, I will find you a van"

There always seems to be f**king strings attached!

So, I agreed, because I did'nt want to wait for 3 or so hours for a van to come back.

And, guess what, I ended up finishing after 2pm much to my annoyance, In fact, I did'nt get back till about 5pm!

They're a bunch of C**ts the lot of them!!

Now you know why I hate the job! No I don't hate the job....I DESPISE the job!

All I want to do is a decent day's work without being f**ked around, Is that too much to ask?
Why are you still in job??
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by Newbie001 »

p5aul789 wrote:I was supposed to start a 25 hour position today. So I go in at 9am and are told there are no vans AGAIN!!

One of the managers says to me "You can either wait and come back after midday or, if you do me a favour (that old chestnut again!) and do a couple of extra loops for me, I will find you a van"

There always seems to be f**king strings attached!

So, I agreed, because I did'nt want to wait for 3 or so hours for a van to come back.

And, guess what, I ended up finishing after 2pm much to my annoyance, In fact, I did'nt get back till about 5pm!

They're a bunch of C**ts the lot of them!!

Now you know why I hate the job! No I don't hate the job....I DESPISE the job!

All I want to do is a decent day's work without being f**ked around, Is that too much to ask?
Think you went about this all wrong. If you can't get a van for 3 hrs, then its tough, they have to find something for you to do. Know it's overtime but you still have start/finish time of duty you are on. If you don't get out till 12 then only take 2hrs work with you. You'll still get paid 5 hrs. No such thing as Flexi time.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by Postie45 »

if your start time is 9am and theres no vans, then its their problem, whether they find work for you to do or not is up to them, you are on the clock and getting paid. If the van finally turns up at 12 then youre still only obliged to work your 9am start time hours. Anything over is overtime, or you can finish at your scheduled finish time. Also please tell me you booked the 3 hours OT. You only have yourself to blame really for what happened by agreeing to their tricks, put it down to a learning experience. Do you have a union rep ?
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by hothothot »

You only have to work your allocated hours and no more, if there's no van, no hct or whatever that's Thier tough shite. If your finish time is say 2.30 then that's the time you finish , it doesn't matter how little or how much work you've done. Or you claim docket. It's up to RM to supply you with the right equipment. They couldn't find me a trolley one day so I refused to go out with heavy bags. Eventually they did get a trolley and I simply worked my hours, they didn't like it but that's their tough shite.
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

Just want to work my hours

Post by p5aul789 »

Think you went about this all wrong. If you can't get a van for 3 hrs, then its tough, they have to find something for you to do. Know it's overtime but you still have start/finish time of duty you are on. If you don't get out till 12 then only take 2hrs work with you. You'll still get paid 5 hrs. No such thing as Flexi time.
They have done this to me before. Told me not to come in until 11am because there are no vans. I go in sometimes work is prepped, sometimes there is still work to prep. So I have to wait until after midday for a van. Only this time, no phone call, no text to tell me to go in later. This was before i had to 9 to 2 contract which started yesterday.

It seems there are going to start messing me about all over again.

They don't have to find me something else to do, they gave me a choice; take a van out with strings attached, or wait for a van to return. Either way it's not good enough!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Just want to work my hours

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

p5aul789 wrote:
Think you went about this all wrong. If you can't get a van for 3 hrs, then its tough, they have to find something for you to do. Know it's overtime but you still have start/finish time of duty you are on. If you don't get out till 12 then only take 2hrs work with you. You'll still get paid 5 hrs. No such thing as Flexi time.
They have done this to me before. Told me not to come in until 11am because there are no vans. I go in sometimes work is prepped, sometimes there is still work to prep. So I have to wait until after midday for a van. Only this time, no phone call, no text to tell me to go in later. This was before i had to 9 to 2 contract which started yesterday.

It seems there are going to start messing me about all over again.

They don't have to find me something else to do, they gave me a choice; take a van out with strings attached, or wait for a van to return. Either way it's not good enough!
Sorry to blunt mate but they are mugging you.

You have set hours and all overtime is voluntary.
If there is no van and they offer one with strings, or they say you have to wait till ones available - that matters not a jot - you have set hours and that's all you are required to do.

Your rep needs to be sent on here, why is he giving you such s**t advice.

Also to be even blunter, they are doing this to you because you, with the best intentions, are letting them.

Next time it happens, or if you get an inkling of it, all of a sudden have a commitment outside work that you can't possibly avoid. Watch them squirm.

Royal Mail wants flexibility, but you shouldn't be subservient to their demands.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.