ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Going Home Early
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
oh and these elite posties start at least an hour before there time everyday , run round , have no break , to finish on time , so whos the idiots ? 
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
So you believe that management should be allowed to ignore the IWT and allocate work as they see fit? As a union rep I couldn't allow that to stand.Those consistently getting back early should be given more IPS or walk prepping to ensure they fill their paid hours.
What happens when the "flyer" is off and some other guy gets his extra hour of IPS because the flyer can manage it? You haven't solved any problems, you've just lost us another hour of IPS.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
Since for some reason people are comparing us to the building trade or mechanics I thought I would throw this one out there. You want your driveway blockpaved, you get two quotes. One guy says he can do it for £2000 and it would take three days. The other guy quotes you £3000 and it will take a week. Both the workmanship is of the same standard, which do you choose?
By the way, I start on my time, take my break, I am not a runner (I wouldn't even run for a bus) and I still finish before my time. My rotation does the same but always goes over.
By the way, I start on my time, take my break, I am not a runner (I wouldn't even run for a bus) and I still finish before my time. My rotation does the same but always goes over.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Going Home Early
worktotime wrote:then get a job what revolves round your circumstances and not get paid for sat at home or picking kids up etc . it is when it affects me when they use these clowns who start early and are killing the job and dims saying well they can do it , anywayJudgee wrote:But it doesn't affect you so why moan? You have a finish time that is yours not thiers, that's the point!worktotime wrote: to be honest I don't give a s**t what time or what joe bloggs does but I do when it affects me . its funny because these selfish people are the first to go crying to the rep and blame the cwu when the dim wants to give them more work .![]()
You also cannot justifiably label them selfish if you have no idea why they are flying around. There may be various reasons why they need to get home early, picking up kids from school, caring for a parent or loved one, etc. But yet again this is not your concern nor your business is it!
Oh FFS am I not typing English or are you just really thick.... IT DOES NOT AFFECT YOU, IT DOESN'T INCREASE YOUR FINISHING TIME YOU ARE PAID TIL 2.30 OR AROUND THAT WHATEVER, NO MATTER WHAT TIME THE RUNNERS FINISH! IF THEY GIVE YOU ABSORBTION YOU STILL HAVE THE SAME FINISH TIME, YOU STILL GET PAID THE SAME HOW FECKING HARD IS THAT TO GRASP!!!!!!!!!
OK Giving up, obviously care in the community has one this one!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
I don't think anyone should be flying round to complete their deliveries, but you will always get some guys who are quicker or more efficient than others.
From a managers point of view they could give the faster guys who get back early on to doing more work, but to my mind all that does is increase division and resentment. Try and look at it from this way. We have IWT that are usually weighted to give the slowest guys a chance i.e. they do very little in the way of IPS and/or only prep their frames and no-one else's. Imagine how much the company would lose when they introduce clocking on/off cards. All those thousands of free hours of indoor work that get done by those who come in early and skip breaks....lost. And thats why it probably won't happen
And all I can see with clocking on/off cards are colleagues 'accidentally' clocking other peoples cards. It used to happen in the factories and it caused all sorts of problems. Add to this, monthly pay and you can quadruple the problem as regards your pay. So why on earth it would ever be introduced is a bit of a mystery - especially if you worked as a postie!
From a managers point of view they could give the faster guys who get back early on to doing more work, but to my mind all that does is increase division and resentment. Try and look at it from this way. We have IWT that are usually weighted to give the slowest guys a chance i.e. they do very little in the way of IPS and/or only prep their frames and no-one else's. Imagine how much the company would lose when they introduce clocking on/off cards. All those thousands of free hours of indoor work that get done by those who come in early and skip breaks....lost. And thats why it probably won't happen
And all I can see with clocking on/off cards are colleagues 'accidentally' clocking other peoples cards. It used to happen in the factories and it caused all sorts of problems. Add to this, monthly pay and you can quadruple the problem as regards your pay. So why on earth it would ever be introduced is a bit of a mystery - especially if you worked as a postie!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
I think this is part of why RM want all flats and letters sequenced. Between a couple of other technologies RM could have all parcels walk sorted, once every parcel has a 2D barcode the PDA would keep a track of which delivery points have got a parcelpostslippete wrote:I don't think anyone should be flying round to complete their deliveries, but you will always get some guys who are quicker or more efficient than others.
From a managers point of view they could give the faster guys who get back early on to doing more work, but to my mind all that does is increase division and resentment. Try and look at it from this way. We have IWT that are usually weighted to give the slowest guys a chance i.e. they do very little in the way of IPS and/or only prep their frames and no-one else's. Imagine how much the company would lose when they introduce clocking on/off cards. All those thousands of free hours of indoor work that get done by those who come in early and skip breaks.
And all I can see with clocking on/off cards are colleagues 'accidentally' clocking other peoples cards. It used to happen in the factories and it caused all sorts of problems. Add to this, monthly pay and you can quadruple the problem as regards your pay. So why on earth it would ever be introduced is a bit of a mystery - especially if you worked as a postie!
-
TheTrolleyMan
- Posts: 776
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
Same at our office , about 10% of us do the job to spec , all the runners are starting early and ignoring meal reliefs , dodging huddles etc and not locking their vans up so when they finally get their Specials Deliveries from RLE they've already loaded up , it's pretty pathetic the things they do to save a second . And guess what they have the most complaints for doorstepping & not scanning items . Pay them upto their leaving time and not for ghost hours
-
Deadly
- Posts: 703
- Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
I visited Cornwall on holiday last year and the local postman would leave his van engine running as he disappeared up the long driveways to deliver the mail, crazy!TheTrolleyMan wrote:Same at our office , about 10% of us do the job to spec , all the runners are starting early and ignoring meal reliefs , dodging huddles etc and not locking their vans up
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
We'll always have posties who are quicker than others. You'll get this in any workplace. And when I say quicker than others, I'm not implying by running.
On another note. End of last week, I spotted one of my colleagues ACTUALLY RUNNING! Couldn't believe my eyes. When I read on here about 'running' I thought you were maybe defining 'running' as an incredibly brisk walk.
On another note. End of last week, I spotted one of my colleagues ACTUALLY RUNNING! Couldn't believe my eyes. When I read on here about 'running' I thought you were maybe defining 'running' as an incredibly brisk walk.
-
AceMark
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 08 Feb 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
Taken from the Delivery section of the new CWU document about Royal Mails planned changes.
"Royal Mail want to introduce clocking in and out of every task and finishing times and only want to pay for the hours actually worked."
I guess this closes the Going Home Early thread.
"Royal Mail want to introduce clocking in and out of every task and finishing times and only want to pay for the hours actually worked."
I guess this closes the Going Home Early thread.
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
The answer to this is simple, but it needs to start business wide NOW! Come in on time, take breaks, finish on time. It's all been said before.AceMark wrote:Taken from the Delivery section of the new CWU document about Royal Mails planned changes.
"Royal Mail want to introduce clocking in and out of every task and finishing times and only want to pay for the hours actually worked."
I guess this closes the Going Home Early thread.
-
AceMark
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 08 Feb 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
Says they are also planning on only delivering 1st class Mail 3 days a week to save on costs. As long as they realise that no-one can be sent home before their time to implement this cost-cutting. We sign a contract for a reason.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72754
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Going Home Early
they can if the agreement we vote for says they can, and reading between the lines this is exactly what they are looking for.AceMark wrote:Says they are also planning on only delivering 1st class Mail 3 days a week to save on costs. As long as they realise that no-one can be sent home before their time to implement this cost-cutting. We sign a contract for a reason.
At least lapsing will be a thing of the past.

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
ArthurPewty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
Ditto in East Anglia last year, though this was on a 'normal' suburban road - door open, engine running, no sign of postie. The missus talked me out of driving it round the corner out of sight!Deadly wrote:I visited Cornwall on holiday last year and the local postman would leave his van engine running as he disappeared up the long driveways to deliver the mail, crazy!TheTrolleyMan wrote:Same at our office , about 10% of us do the job to spec , all the runners are starting early and ignoring meal reliefs , dodging huddles etc and not locking their vans up
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Going Home Early
Document not very clear on this. If you read whole RM document. Does give impression they're talking about MC's only. Why would they want to give away all the free hours they get in DO's. And clocking in and out of every task does sound like something that could only be achieved in a MC setting.AceMark wrote:Taken from the Delivery section of the new CWU document about Royal Mails planned changes.
"Royal Mail want to introduce clocking in and out of every task and finishing times and only want to pay for the hours actually worked."
I guess this closes the Going Home Early thread.