ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Would you vote for strike action?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

Would you vote for strike action?

Yes
366
76%
No
117
24%
 
Total votes: 483

kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

Would you vote for strike action?

Post by kingeric »

fishtank wrote:There's a lot of justifying cowardice and self interest going on in this thread, there's absolutely no need to slag off colleagues or invent "golden pensions" or talk about how a completely unworkable "work to rule" would be so much better.

It's an anonymous forum, if you're too scared to strike or you're more interested in yourself than others just be honest. Nobody knows who you are....well except yourself of course and I'm sure you can handle looking at yourself in the mirror.

Those who believe in the core ethos of the trade union movement, that an injury to one is an injury to all will support the call for strike action no matter what has gone on in the past. The rest will make up excuses in an attempt to convince themselves that they're not really self interested cowards. You're not convincing me and I doubt to be honest that you're really convincing yourselves.
It's called giving a different opinion and people sharing their experiences. It's nothing to do with being a coward so your "all for one and one for all "rallying call falls flat on its face when you start abusing people who are sharing what they are dealing with on a daily basis.

You seem to be totally ignoring how some part timers or lesser timed service posties feel on various issues. Which is unlikely to get them to vote to strike on something which they perceive as unlikely to affect them.

I have thrown out some points for debate here to make more people think about their colleagues. I remember when I started I had some good lads around me who looked after me and treated me as one of their own. Unfortunately a lot of those have left or retired and those that are left are selfish sods who only look out for themselves and do nothing to help new starters and don't care about part timers being made up.

I remember when a full timer was leaving a fellow colleague came and said "you'll be full time in 2 weeks xxxx has handed in his notice." Then the full timers would be on at the manager to make sure I was made up on that date.

Now I work with full timers who just say "you've got no chance of full time anymore mate" but go and ask the managers for early hours for themselves. While part timers are left scrapping around for overtime to try and get near the 39 hour mark. So asking these guys to not do overtime over this pension issue is not going to happen. I guarantee it.

My point is it isn't one for all and a lot of part timers and newer posties feel let down by colleagues who aren't fighting for them on other important issues. So I'm saying it's a good time for everyone to look at each colleague alongside each other and start to treat each other like we used to.

Be honest, how many full timers would go out on strike to get more part time jobs made up to full time? I would but I can say about 80% of the full timers in my office wouldn't. Yet these full timers will want the other guys going out to support them over this.

Calling people cowards etc is keeping your head firmly in the sand to what actually does go on where part timers feel screwed by full timers. You only need to read these pages on a daily basis to see that. It's also not very helpful to start the name calling either is it?
Godric
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 855
Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 12:08
Gender: Male
Location: The Kingdom of Alba

Would you vote for strike action?

Post by Godric »

i support a strike ... but i have no belief that the higher echelon of our union ward/pullinger/pec have our best interest at heart they are more interested in being at the top table with the Royal mail big wigs ... they have marched us to the top of the hill numerous times and backed down ... we have had royal mail by the balls after several days strike with a massive backlog of mail and they have backed down .... to back this one the union bigwigs must prove to us they are in it all the way
"Vi har haft århundraden av kärlek och tillit till varandra."
Stunl3y
Posts: 73
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 11:57
Gender: Male

Would you vote for strike action?

Post by Stunl3y »

kingeric wrote:
Be honest, how many full timers would go out on strike to get more part time jobs made up to full time? I would but I can say about 80% of the full timers in my office wouldn't. ?
Really ? a miserable office you must work in then because as a full timer I would gladly strike over the dwindling fulltime force that is left in this job and I would say pretty much every fulltimer in my office would do as well we are all fed up with full timers not being replaced when they leave, most of the problems that this job is facing today is purely down to the fact RM is trying to make the job a part time workforce , all the guys in my office can see this and all are as concerned about protecting and increasing the fulltime workforce as much as protecting their pensions. Fine if you don't wish to strike over pensions that's your choice but if you think its JUST about pensions then your not seeing the broader picture here because its about pensions, hours, fulltime/part time , the way they want us to work etc etc , if you don't believe that then you watch the oncoming negotiations and at the end of the day these things effect everyone. As soon as they see a splintered support for a strike do you honestly believe they will stop at pensions ,not a cat in chance of hell and then the guy who told you that you will never get a full time position will have only told you the truth because RM will simply do as they please to everyone.
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

Would you vote for strike action?

Post by aposter »

Sorry you don't get it, RM is a shareholder owned company now. Lots of people out there willing to ignore picket lines and deliver mail for £7.2 ph.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Would you vote for strike action?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

aposter wrote:Sorry you don't get it, RM is a shareholder owned company now. Lots of people out there willing to ignore picket lines and deliver mail for £7.2 ph.

Its still illegal to hire casuals to cover striking workers. Although the Conservatives want to change that.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Would you vote for strike action?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Stunl3y wrote:
kingeric wrote:
Be honest, how many full timers would go out on strike to get more part time jobs made up to full time? I would but I can say about 80% of the full timers in my office wouldn't. ?
Really ? a miserable office you must work in then because as a full timer I would gladly strike over the dwindling fulltime force that is left in this job and I would say pretty much every fulltimer in my office would do as well
I agree with your feelings but you have to remember that there's a 1000 Delivery Offices across the country and they're all different. I'd estimate that there's probably about 25% of FTers in my DO that are Selfish Arseholes, and only care about their own little world. Believe it or not a few of them aren't even in the Union. :shock: I know the PTers get a shite deal and it doesn't take a lot of effort to just give them a bit of encouragement. :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
cobrakai
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 320
Joined: 13 Dec 2007, 17:17

Would you vote for strike action?

Post by cobrakai »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
aposter wrote:Sorry you don't get it, RM is a shareholder owned company now. Lots of people out there willing to ignore picket lines and deliver mail for £7.2 ph.

Its still illegal to hire casuals to cover striking workers. Although the Conservatives want to change that.
Royal Mail already employ the agency workers though as they own Anguard.... I'm fairly sure that they would just say they are staff that chose to work.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Would you vote for strike action?

Post by Tman »

Certainly the last time my office walked out the place was stuffed with agency staff to cover for them.
RM aren't that dumb.