ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

priority shares

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by RobertT »

fishtank wrote:What kind of profit margin are we talking about really here?
The shares are likely to hit the ground at the higher estimate of £3.30.
If things go exceptionally well they may climb to £4.00
That's something like 28% minus the bits and bobs for trading you might walk out with 20%.
That's a decent return IF all goes well but how much are you guys putting up?

Anything more than a couple of grand for guys in our financial position is risky so at best case scenario and for all the high brow city slicker bollocks on this thread you might make about £400....less tax.

I could think of less morally dubious ways to make £400,like prostitution. :cuppa
A 20% return is great for potentially only a few days ‘work’ regardless of the sums involved. On the £2k investment you suggest it would take over 9 years to make the same amount in a savings account paying 2% interest.
Plus there’s also the possibility of actually holding to the shares for several years and taking the gains plus the dividends. Obviously assuming there are gains!

The only tax payable on the sale of shares is Capital Gains Tax, so unless you make gains of over £10,900 in this tax year, there would be no tax to pay anyway.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by chrisj »

It sure beats doing overtime on delivery or taking a second job or flogging junk on ebay...

£300 pounds pure profit within 2 weeks without laying a finger is a win-win situation if you have the money to invest. And with most privatisation, all the shares have risen soon after floatation - so the more you spend the more you can make asap.

I do not understand why people are trying to moralise.. There is no moral case here. The company has effectively been privatised and the vast majority of posties now have a financial stake in a private company; and I am not talking just about the free shares. The better RM does the better we 'might' do.

If for example, we completely disrupt RM activities and ability to make good profits then it will affect our future bonus and also T&C after the 3 year moratorium. RM cannot protect us if RM has very little protection (&profit) from Regulators and employees.
Last edited by chrisj on 08 Oct 2013, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by fishtank »

RobertT wrote:On the £2k investment you suggest it would take over 9 years to make the same amount in a savings account paying 2% interest.
Or you could actually just work for it,in which case it would take you about a week but who wants to work when there's money for nothing to be had.
The problem (and I realise this isn't your fault or the fault of any investor) is that this isn't really free money,It's actually coming from the government through the deliberate undervaluing of the company.
It's money the taxpayer is losing but who cares,we've plenty to lose.
It's all a bit grubby to be honest. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: priority shares

Post by cloherty1976 »

RobertT you know more than me on these issues so as I have not long to go. As you told me yesterday that you could not apply twice for shares which luckily I didn't. You did get me worried though. Can I still apply for more if apply through the Royal Mail site which I have already done?
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: priority shares

Post by cloherty1976 »

fishtank wrote:
Or you could actually just work for it,in which case it would take you about a week but who wants to work when there's money for nothing to be had.
The problem (and I realise this isn't your fault or the fault of any investor) is that this isn't really free money,It's actually coming from the government through the deliberate undervaluing of the company.
It's money the taxpayer is losing but who cares,we've plenty to lose.
It's all a bit grubby to be honest. :neutral:
Remember this is an investment and investments do go wrong. If they fall will the Labour Party say it was a good investment for tax payers. I think not . How many union officials are buying, as I don't think many would admit too just like Labour Party leaders but I bet some think they can make a few quid and will invest. Money makes the world go round they say.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by RobertT »

fishtank wrote:who wants to work when there's money for nothing to be had.
My thoughts exactly, although I see it more as making my money work for me.
The problem (and I realise this isn't your fault or the fault of any investor) is that this isn't really free money,It's actually coming from the government through the deliberate undervaluing of the company.
It's money the taxpayer is losing but who cares,we've plenty to lose.
It's all a bit grubby to be honest. :neutral:
I do agree with you there! But if it’s there for the taking, why not have some?
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by RobertT »

cloherty1976 wrote:RobertT you know more than me on these issues so as I have not long to go. As you told me yesterday that you could not apply twice for shares which luckily I didn't. You did get me worried though. Can I still apply for more if apply through the Royal Mail site which I have already done?
As far as I know you can't make more than one application regardless of the method/broker used.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: priority shares

Post by cloherty1976 »

RobertT wrote: As far as I know you can't make more than one application regardless of the method/broker used.
Thanks for that I suppose I'll have to put it in my sons name, he'll think its Christmas if he sees his bank account balance.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by chrisj »

It will take me more than a week to make £400 after tax. Secondly, as I already have a job, it will take me even longer to make that money whilst still doing my regular job.

Btw, we are not all Ft and OT is not available to everyone. It is so tight these days to get OT, and the manager will try their best to undercut you.

It is rather naive to slag off shareholding, usury, financial speculation and the financial sector of the economy. Even if the country has kept its industries and manufacturing base, we will find out that we will now be undercut by cheaper labour and products from developing countries.

And without the financial sector (sometimes corrupt), there will be hardly any Dole, no NHS, living standards will be lower and a postman wage will be even lower - at least compared to other economies. I wonder how much a postman makes comparatively in Japan or China or India or Brazil or Russia?
flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 819
Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by flaminmoses »

how longs it take you to lose 400 after tax?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by fishtank »

chrisj wrote:And without the financial sector (sometimes corrupt), there will be hardly any Dole, no NHS, living standards will be lower and a postman wage will be even lower.
The vast majority of tax receipts and GDP input from the financial sector come from retail banking and insurance services,everything from car insurance to pension providers and private medical cover come under the financial sector umbrella.
What comes from the city spivs is small in comparison,they certainly don't pay your wages.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
dubdaz
Posts: 264
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 15:55
Gender: Male
Location: london borough in kent

Re: priority shares

Post by dubdaz »

Although I've bought shares IF I had been given the choice of making a few quid off privatising RM or keeping it for the public obviously it would be the latter, but its been brought in against our and the publics wishes and that's it :-(
Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by chrisj »

flaminmoses wrote:how longs it take you to lose 400 after tax?

The Royal Mail privatisation is not a gamble! The business has been undervalued to help ease privatisation and the history of sell-off shows that they are easy money for those that have the money to invest.

In answer to the bizarre question or statement, I do not know how long it takes one (whomsoever and under whatever circumstance) to lose £400. I do not gamble and don't subscribe to scams and I do not carry cash (not more than £20).

Its their money - they can do whatever they want it.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013 ... vatisation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: priority shares

Post by k979aaa »

So it has been undervalued most of all postmen and managers have took their allocation of free shares as they were promised years and years ago so what I have no problem with this. Those who bought shares it is your problem don't come on here and tell me not to strike for my terms and conditions pension working conditions and a fair pay rise for all workers if this company is worth so much it is the employees who have made it a success. Not one woman and for that we demand more for our futures and the here and now if your Priority shares dip in value because of strike action don't come and cry on here!
BernardBresslaw
Posts: 381
Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 15:52
Gender: Male

Re: priority shares

Post by BernardBresslaw »

chrisj wrote: The better RM does the better we 'might' do.
That's all very well, but when jobs are slashed, hourly wage brought in line with competitors, benefits abandoned, and our pensions modified, suddenly making a few hundred quid from shares, doesn't seem like that good a deal.

Or are you suggesting we should put up with those minor inconveniences, just so our stock improves?