ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
No I in Team
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: No I in Team
If Apple was in chrage then surely there would be an ITeam 
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
Talking of testing the postmen/women on their walks, I think the planners should be tested as well .
Plus the DOM's in my office has never done a P/L walk since revision.
Lets see how they do, at least they can see the problems we face.
Plus the DOM's in my office has never done a P/L walk since revision.
Lets see how they do, at least they can see the problems we face.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: No I in Team
As a lefty I'll quote, well part quote Marx
If my partner is being a w****r, then I'll play the same game. I certainly wouldn't shop him to management for being slow, thats the managers task to find out why a duty is not working, I'll leave the blame game to them.
As to going the extra mile for the business, why should we. We did that when we had job and finish and ghost overtime, managers had no trouble getting docket covered and rarely did people cut off, they saw it as swings and roundabouts, what you lost one day you made up the next . Nowadays if you work hard and do the job beyond expectations you end up with more work and eventually end up chasing your own arse. The moral of the story is work within the limits and rules they set and go home when your hours are up and they can't touch you. Work overtime if you want, but don't be forced into it. Certainly don't judge peoples actions based on your own values and perceptions - if you want to do that then by all means become a manager, its part of their job description, not ours.
as long as people aren't taking the piss with me and if we are meant to be a team then I would help them out in my duty time. I know at some point, like after a night out or when I am a little under the weather then a decent partner will return the favour.From each according to his ability,
If my partner is being a w****r, then I'll play the same game. I certainly wouldn't shop him to management for being slow, thats the managers task to find out why a duty is not working, I'll leave the blame game to them.
As to going the extra mile for the business, why should we. We did that when we had job and finish and ghost overtime, managers had no trouble getting docket covered and rarely did people cut off, they saw it as swings and roundabouts, what you lost one day you made up the next . Nowadays if you work hard and do the job beyond expectations you end up with more work and eventually end up chasing your own arse. The moral of the story is work within the limits and rules they set and go home when your hours are up and they can't touch you. Work overtime if you want, but don't be forced into it. Certainly don't judge peoples actions based on your own values and perceptions - if you want to do that then by all means become a manager, its part of their job description, not ours.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:As a lefty I'll quote, well part quote Marxas long as people aren't taking the piss with me and if we are meant to be a team then I would help them out in my duty time. I know at some point, like after a night out or when I am a little under the weather then a decent partner will return the favour.From each according to his ability,
If my partner is being a w****r, then I'll play the same game. I certainly wouldn't shop him to management for being slow, thats the managers task to find out why a duty is not working, I'll leave the blame game to them.
As to going the extra mile for the business, why should we. We did that when we had job and finish and ghost overtime, managers had no trouble getting docket covered and rarely did people cut off, they saw it as swings and roundabouts, what you lost one day you made up the next . Nowadays if you work hard and do the job beyond expectations you end up with more work and eventually end up chasing your own arse. The moral of the story is work within the limits and rules they set and go home when your hours are up and they can't touch you. Work overtime if you want, but don't be forced into it. Certainly don't judge peoples actions based on your own values and perceptions - if you want to do that then by all means become a manager, its part of their job description, not ours.
All good point except the judging?
Terrier, I will like to know what you will do if you were the poster. You have covered the fluffy bits around the topic but this is an issue that is affecting this postman consistently. In his scenario, it appears he is driver and he cannot just take off and load all his bags to do his own loop. Even if he could, he will still have to find alternative transport arrangement to get to the depot or get home.
So what should he do? He will have to complain to management if he was not to put his health at risk but working much harder than he needed to do. Its sounds weird that some people said he should just ploy on and possibly do 65-70% of the work while the other bloke gets the same pay. We are not in a communist system even if we might be leftist?
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
Asfor testing the planners. I suggested to the planner in a team brief that some of the walks should be tested by management and planners to see whether the software, system and assumption/variables are going to work. She said it is unrealistic as they are not as fit as a postman and will not be doing so.
And what has she gone and done, she is putting loops in on computer without consulting postmen on the walks. they spend so much time doing the wrong things and pretend they are consulting. When my Union rep told me one day to get involved in front of planner(after the walks have been put) - I simply said that it is all BS because to consult after things have been done is only going to result in cosmetic changes and the planners will most unlikely change everything if they are wrong.
She has skulked off and says she is going to report the office because her work has been trashed because of the sheer incompetence. She was supposed to have been a manager in the office before - what?
And what has she gone and done, she is putting loops in on computer without consulting postmen on the walks. they spend so much time doing the wrong things and pretend they are consulting. When my Union rep told me one day to get involved in front of planner(after the walks have been put) - I simply said that it is all BS because to consult after things have been done is only going to result in cosmetic changes and the planners will most unlikely change everything if they are wrong.
She has skulked off and says she is going to report the office because her work has been trashed because of the sheer incompetence. She was supposed to have been a manager in the office before - what?
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
fishtank and straightwhatever, you do not get it. And that has probably to do with literacy...
Post in a thread are not simply words. Just like words are not the only important part of a conversation but why try to enlighten you? You are a bit of a troll - always on the attack.
What is there to fear? I work for money!
Post in a thread are not simply words. Just like words are not the only important part of a conversation but why try to enlighten you? You are a bit of a troll - always on the attack.
What is there to fear? I work for money!
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
FFS how many times are we going to go over the same ground - if he has time he helps if he doesn't they leave in or take it back. You work the hours paid for at a reasonable pace - the pace being what it is for each individual. It is not your call what is or is not reasonable - have you got that. What others do is not your concern what you do is and your opinion is just that. As for working himself into the ground .............perleeease.
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: No I in Team
chrisj, since you still fail to understand let me put it to you a different way.
One person and their partner arrive a their first loop at 10:15 with a return to office time of 14:45, (i.e. 4½ outdoor work travel excluded). They are paid to both perform outdoor work for those four and a half hours, not to equally distribute nine hours work between two. As long as both persons are doing work for that duration they are fulfilling their duty requirements.
If I was that 'slower' colleague, (still doing my 4½ hours work), and you were the 'faster', (waiting at the van for 10 minutes at each of 3 parking loops), you would have failed to have performed your duty, (you've only done four hours work), and should be the person standing in front of the Manager.
One person and their partner arrive a their first loop at 10:15 with a return to office time of 14:45, (i.e. 4½ outdoor work travel excluded). They are paid to both perform outdoor work for those four and a half hours, not to equally distribute nine hours work between two. As long as both persons are doing work for that duration they are fulfilling their duty requirements.
If I was that 'slower' colleague, (still doing my 4½ hours work), and you were the 'faster', (waiting at the van for 10 minutes at each of 3 parking loops), you would have failed to have performed your duty, (you've only done four hours work), and should be the person standing in front of the Manager.
-
Straight4ward
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1621
- Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
(Apologies for the plagiarism) - I am returning this otherwise good typing space to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top.chrisj wrote:fishtank and straightwhatever, you do not get it. And that has probably to do with literacy...
Post in a thread are not simply words. Just like words are not the only important part of a conversation but why try to enlighten you? You are a bit of a troll - always on the attack.
What is there to fear? I work for money!
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
P/L isn't what it says on the tin on my round.
It should be Park and walk away from the van.
Used to be a HCT walk before and worked perfectly but my so called loopsafter revision are not loops at all.
I have open fields on one side and when I finish my so called "loop" along one side of the road I am half a mile away from the van each time for the 1st 3 "loops"
DOM knows the problem but says his hands are tied and he can't change it back
It should be Park and walk away from the van.
Used to be a HCT walk before and worked perfectly but my so called loopsafter revision are not loops at all.
I have open fields on one side and when I finish my so called "loop" along one side of the road I am half a mile away from the van each time for the 1st 3 "loops"
DOM knows the problem but says his hands are tied and he can't change it back
-
5plusbonusball
- Posts: 1136
- Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: up north of watford
Re: No I in Team
Something has to be done. Folks need to be tested and if they are not up to scratch then they have to be helped or let go. The job has changed - and we have been paid for the transition... The same should apply to newly employed staff that refuses to drive even though they have a licence - the new job requirements must have ability and willingness to drive as a mandatory... I hope it does!
innefficient colleague
Chrisj is right, what do we do with these? Just hope you never get to work with one because the doms don't care about you.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
-
flaminmoses
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 819
- Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
5plusbonusball wrote:Something has to be done. Folks need to be tested and if they are not up to scratch then they have to be helped or let go. The job has changed - and we have been paid for the transition... The same should apply to newly employed staff that refuses to drive even though they have a licence - the new job requirements must have ability and willingness to drive as a mandatory... I hope it does!innefficient colleague
Chrisj is right, what do we do with these? Just hope you never get to work with one because the doms don't care about you.
well according to a secret source lol
more and more posties are saying they cant cope and are being given ihr.
apparently in our region ihr doubled over a certain period compared to a period before.
their words were the job is getting a lot harder for people of a certain age and the length of walks is affecting certain types abilities to continually do them.
wont say in what context this was all stated in.....one or two may have an idea.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
5plusbonusball wrote: Chrisj is right, what do we do with these?.
What are these...?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
hantsman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 876
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 09:33
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
To be honest both of the 2 people you have mentioned above are very fair in their posts, are you the affected person chrisj?chrisj wrote:fishtank and straightwhatever, you do not get it. And that has probably to do with literacy...
Post in a thread are not simply words. Just like words are not the only important part of a conversation but why try to enlighten you? You are a bit of a troll - always on the attack.
What is there to fear? I work for money!
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16736
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: No I in Team
The slow fat numpties that the sprightly young things don't want to work with.fishtank wrote:5plusbonusball wrote: Chrisj is right, what do we do with these?.
What are these...?
This thread isn't very PC is it?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.