ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by dvbuk55 »

97gaz wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
97gaz wrote:This is why I am constantly considering leaving the Union. I've been a Union man for 38 years and a rep 4 times for two different companies. Then I come on here and I see people prepared to throw the people they've worked with for years on the dole. Just so they can have a Saturday off. And no, they won't get a job easily. Or at anywhere near the rate a postie gets.

I suspect all those clamouring for a Mon-Fri probably have some seniority and see themselves as safe.

Well yeh,let's have a vote but before we do let's chuck seniority out of the window and see what the result is then. I suspect the company would prefer to get rid of a lot of long timers before some of the new starters.
The emphasis has been on working longer and harder and so leisure time is at a premium and of course people would look to having a two day weekend, but it doesn't mean they want to throw their colleagues on the scrap heap.
I get the feeling from some on here that if it came to a vote then the result would be a foregone conclusion. I see the same selfish attitude in some of the people I work with. That's why I am considering leaving the "Union"
TBH gaz, I don't see it is a consideration for leaving the union, and I am not a great supporter of the present regime. There wouldn't seem to be a move to go to a five day week and certainly the national union haven't been pro active on the subject nor called for a vote. Each person would have their own agenda for a Saturday/Sunday weekend and though I am ambivalent about it, even having lost Mon - Fri for a Tue - Sat change due to revision I'm pretty certain a vote would go for a 5 day week Mon - Fri.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by clashcityrocker »

The potential loss of another 20 000 sub paying union members would be the end of the CWU.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by DirtyHarry »

Even with those 20,000 presently still in situ, and let's presume all are fee paying union members, the CWU is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
Minus another 20,000 members, would not make a whole lot of difference, in my opinion. :cuppa
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by dvbuk55 »

DirtyHarry wrote:Even with those 20,000 presently still in situ, and let's presume all are fee paying union members, the CWU is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
Minus another 20,000 members, would not make a whole lot of difference, in my opinion. :cuppa
I don't know though I'll bet the Greggs on Broadway would have to lay staff off.........there wouldn't be as much pie money about :chuckle
Lateagainpostie
Posts: 393
Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 18:17
Gender: Male

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by Lateagainpostie »

You would still need some floaters for annual leave and sickness cover.

We were promised 1 in 4 Saturdays in the 2010 agreement, is anyone getting that ?.

Mon - Fri is the way forward, the reductions in the workforce can be managed by retirements and people leaving, no-one should have to lose a job.
If you love Man Utd, you'll love my forum Talkingreds
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by fishtank »

Remember if we move to a Mon-Fri the 4 day weeks go,the 9 day fortnights,the 1 week in 6...in fact all of the innovative attendance patterns will go.
The CSS attendance patterns will have to change and many processing jobs will be "absorbed".
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by clashcityrocker »

fishtank wrote:Remember if we move to a Mon-Fri the 4 day weeks go,the 9 day fortnights,the 1 week in 6...in fact all of the innovative attendance patterns will go.
And so would people working their day off........
The only redeeming feature I can see in the proposition.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by DGP1 »

I thought this thread had died a long time ago.........we all know that if RM offered 5 days then it would get voted in.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Martin Walsh
Posts: 4276
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 20:12
Location: neverland

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by Martin Walsh »

I know this is a discussion board but moving to a Monday to Friday delivery serivice is dead in the Water for a number of reasons.One is that the USO has now enshrined in the new act with no get out clauses. In addition the board are against any thing which will damage them getting a bigger share of the packet market. They have been meeting various companies in terms of the packet market who want Saturdays deliveries. Mark Higson answered a question from a rep from a branch who annually supports the removal of Saturday from the USO.

Mark Higson replied that it would be suicide if Royal Mail ditched Saturdays and would kill any attempts to grow the packet or unaddressed area. Remember the UK has the highest Internet postal Marlet in Europe .

In addition remember Moya has been bought into fatten up Royal Mail for privatisation and the only one she wants is an IPO where Royal Mail management still run the business in a similar way to BT.

Now lots of people obviously mention the issues of delivery office jobs being lost but it is a lot wider than that. What about all the Logsitcs staff running the work around the country Friday into Saturday would be no need for that , or for mail centres to operate on Friday night as the work would be going nowhere. Why would you need collections and the various waves on a Friday ?

From a delivery point of view you would come in on a Monday to Thursdays 2nd classs, Fridays First class, the weekends First class , Fridays 2nd class , the DSA from Friday and all the mail you normally would have delivered on Saturday and on a typical Monday.

in addition no doubt there would be legal challenges from the DSA contractors who will have their mail delayed.

So it can be debated to the cows come home it is not going to happen for at least a few years.

Now I understand people want to finish early on a Saturday and I am old enough to remember having to come back after a first delivery on a Saturday and then do an hour and half on the IPS before finishing.I remember when the union got the shorter working week in 88 and also for first time allowed for offices to move to a 5 day most simply took the shorter working week on the Saturday .

Now my advice is to reduce the amount of Saturdays you work. The workplan cannot change on a saturday to facilitate the same finishing time as the mail you deliver on a Saturday comes from all over the UK and has to go through the same machines and that means you mail will arrive later than before walk sequencing and the one sort plan.

Now I know some managers don't want people to have better attendances and that this has to be stopped , but equally many of our members are scared to move to better attendances as it often does mean on paper your finishing time is later including on a Saturday.
Captain Scarlet
Posts: 322
Joined: 02 Jul 2007, 15:23
Location: Fifer

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by Captain Scarlet »

Who said it would be mon-fri.....the quietest day is tues if you believe management, so you may find that would be your universal day off :crazy:
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by dvbuk55 »

Bit rich from people who never work Saturday. Most of us older ones remember working every Saturday BUT we were rarely out beyond 9 a.m. and we worked a six day week. Those negotiating for the longer Saturday working don't work on Saturday and do a half day on Monday and Friday for travelling...............so it's a no brainer for them.
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by BELIAL »

Well said Dingo . A pointless waste of effort even talking about it. IF you really do want Saturdays off then come up with an attendance plan and be prepared to fight for it. With the revisions you could get what you want with a bit of effort on your part , much more practical than some pie in the sky dream that a kindly employer will hand you your most cherished desire on a plate.
Bye
Martin Walsh
Posts: 4276
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 20:12
Location: neverland

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by Martin Walsh »

Dvbuk are you deciding now who can comment on what thread ? For the record I was working today and regular have to on a Saturday. Plus have had to got to work the last four Sundays ans at another AGM tomorrow.

often have work late and did a night meeting only this week so I think I am as entitled to comment as you are entitled to comment.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by dvbuk55 »

dingo wrote:Dvbuk are you deciding now who can comment on what thread ? For the record I was working today and regular have to on a Saturday. Plus have had to got to work the last four Sundays ans at another AGM tomorrow.

often have work late and did a night meeting only this week so I think I am as entitled to comment as you are entitled to comment.
You can say what you like dingo. Change the date of the AGMs if Sundays don't suit. Somethings are by choice and others by design created by those who don't actually do the time. I'm sure there are other advantages to doing the odd weekend.
heathrow86
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 136
Joined: 22 Oct 2008, 11:23
Gender: Male

Re: 21 out of 27 in EU have a 5 day week mail operation

Post by heathrow86 »

A few years after privatisation has happened, who is to say that the Saturday deliveries will continue? We all know that the laws can be changed. The USO is not guaranteed. After all the new shareholders will want profits.