ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Christmas Tips
-
villa_rule_123
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 19 Sep 2008, 12:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Christmas Tips
I got £5 off someone, and £1 off another.
Sickens me to see people getting above £100. :(
Sickens me to see people getting above £100. :(
-
Thorby Bislam
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 495
- Joined: 04 Jan 2008, 20:45
- Gender: Male
- Location: Desolation Row
Re: Christmas Tips
Only got £14:00 this year = Bad
£14:00 more than last year = Good
£14:00 more than last year = Good
Just spilt stain-remover down my shirt. Now how do I get that out?
-
apple
- Posts: 496
- Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pluto
Re: Christmas Tips
got about £100 this year, back on a walk, the year before was in a rotating driving section which split tips, spent over 2 years on the same walk got £350 when i was on that, got moved in a repick and despite spending 10 months of the year on that round the section gave me nothing! one of them left with early alzeimers, have heard that they have cut him out of the tips this year, was i glad to get out of that section
my relief that does my walk would take nothing from me, so got him a bottle of bells, anyone that gives me tips gets a card to say thank you and wish them well, if i go back in that section as i could as i have seniority then i will be keeping me tips, come to think of it might do it just to piss them off
good will to all men and that!
my relief that does my walk would take nothing from me, so got him a bottle of bells, anyone that gives me tips gets a card to say thank you and wish them well, if i go back in that section as i could as i have seniority then i will be keeping me tips, come to think of it might do it just to piss them off
good will to all men and that!
-
uprising95
- Posts: 321
- Joined: 30 Aug 2008, 12:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Christmas Tips
villa_rule_123 wrote:I got £5 off someone, and £1 off another.
Sickens me to see people getting above £100. :(
must be the credit crunch lol
Heavy Bags Or What
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Christmas Tips
My tips this year average out as about £1 for each household I delivered to through December - also bottles of wine, sherry and a tin of chocolates.
-
riverdale
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 66
- Joined: 08 Oct 2008, 14:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Christmas Tips
Got a very affluent area, do very well ,pays for a trip to the States every year.

-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Christmas Tips
The tips are really dropping off now.
Only £3 today.
Only £3 today.
-
ar26
- Posts: 155
- Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 19:55
- Gender: Male
Re: Christmas Tips
I'm really surpirsed that you got good tips in the affluent area. I got £15 this year from 3 people , funny thing is they were all council houses, the more affluent customers all 500 or so off them gave nothing, funny that I only deliver to 26 council houses in total.
-
lover
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 04 Oct 2008, 23:16
- Gender: Female
Re: Christmas Tips
same here,the wealthy give sweet fa and the mainly old and in my view ,least able to afford it give generously,which is why i tell them they dont need to but they get more insulted if you dont take it.
its the wealthy that are the biggest pains in the arses all year round.expecting you to do them"favours".
get every large flat going
parcels every day.
feel myself winding up
gets me so mad
i guess thats how they got weathy though expecting favours.
like the guy just before christmas who stopped his car in the high street on the opposite side to me,blocking up all the traffic behind him and shouted do me a favour as he held out a bundle of letters .i was about 10 ft from the box but i was trying to unlock a door to the drop off.i ignored his first call.then he did it again with an oii in front.that gets my back up every time.turned round their was a man 50's ish grinning at me in a new merc,holding out the letters car patiently waiting behind him.do me a favour he said.no i replied with a abruptly.the cloud descended on his face.bollox to you then twat,merry fooking christmas..he wanted me to do him a favour right .if i had would he of thrown me a tenner...no.would he of in the future done me a favour..fat chance...if he had taken it curtiously i would have felt guilty all day.as it was i wouldnt mind meeting him in a dark alley.......sccccuuuummmmm
its the wealthy that are the biggest pains in the arses all year round.expecting you to do them"favours".
get every large flat going
parcels every day.
feel myself winding up
gets me so mad
i guess thats how they got weathy though expecting favours.
like the guy just before christmas who stopped his car in the high street on the opposite side to me,blocking up all the traffic behind him and shouted do me a favour as he held out a bundle of letters .i was about 10 ft from the box but i was trying to unlock a door to the drop off.i ignored his first call.then he did it again with an oii in front.that gets my back up every time.turned round their was a man 50's ish grinning at me in a new merc,holding out the letters car patiently waiting behind him.do me a favour he said.no i replied with a abruptly.the cloud descended on his face.bollox to you then twat,merry fooking christmas..he wanted me to do him a favour right .if i had would he of thrown me a tenner...no.would he of in the future done me a favour..fat chance...if he had taken it curtiously i would have felt guilty all day.as it was i wouldnt mind meeting him in a dark alley.......sccccuuuummmmm
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Christmas Tips
I have to admit the rich are the most arrogant tosssers, yesterday I had a woman expecting me to walk across a busy road to pick up a letter from her while she was sat in the car, I had my hands full of bags, packets as I was doing a collection ! so I had to (politely) tell I can't as I got my hand sfull and is too busy, please drop it off at the nearest box, she was slightly put out but didn't go off on one at least.
I tend to regard rich people as tight gets until proven otherwise, there are a few nice ones who are usually philanthropic types, I tend do my job as per proceedures until proven otherwise then I will do them favours, those that does not give tips I will be official but polite , if they expect me to take packets and letters in for them, I will tell them to put it in the box or to Sub Offices, as I am not allowed to do that.
I tend to regard rich people as tight gets until proven otherwise, there are a few nice ones who are usually philanthropic types, I tend do my job as per proceedures until proven otherwise then I will do them favours, those that does not give tips I will be official but polite , if they expect me to take packets and letters in for them, I will tell them to put it in the box or to Sub Offices, as I am not allowed to do that.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Christmas Tips
- not allowed to do that" - isn't taking mail for posting from the public still allowed in rural areas but NOT in urban areas ?NWpostie wrote:I have to admit the rich are the most arrogant tosssers, yesterday I had a woman expecting me to walk across a busy road to pick up a letter from her while she was sat in the car, I had my hands full of bags, packets as I was doing a collection ! so I had to (politely) tell I can't as I got my hand sfull and is too busy, please drop it off at the nearest box, she was slightly put out but didn't go off on one at least.
I tend to regard rich people as tight gets until proven otherwise, there are a few nice ones who are usually philanthropic types, I tend do my job as per proceedures until proven otherwise then I will do them favours, those that does not give tips I will be official but polite , if they expect me to take packets and letters in for them, I will tell them to put it in the box or to Sub Offices, as I am not allowed to do that.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Christmas Tips
I think the reason for that is, not sure on rural areas, but in Urban areas, is that if the mail went missing, the RM would ask where did you post it ? if the reply is I gave it to the Postman, then the spotlight would be on you, if it is put in the box, the blame then goes further up the line.Lounge Lizard wrote:- not allowed to do that" - isn't taking mail for posting from the public still allowed in rural areas but NOT in urban areas ?NWpostie wrote:I have to admit the rich are the most arrogant tosssers, yesterday I had a woman expecting me to walk across a busy road to pick up a letter from her while she was sat in the car, I had my hands full of bags, packets as I was doing a collection ! so I had to (politely) tell I can't as I got my hand sfull and is too busy, please drop it off at the nearest box, she was slightly put out but didn't go off on one at least.
I tend to regard rich people as tight gets until proven otherwise, there are a few nice ones who are usually philanthropic types, I tend do my job as per proceedures until proven otherwise then I will do them favours, those that does not give tips I will be official but polite , if they expect me to take packets and letters in for them, I will tell them to put it in the box or to Sub Offices, as I am not allowed to do that.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2040
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Christmas Tips
Today I have covered a walk, regular postman’s long weekend off & received over £60 in tips, would you keep schtum & pocket it or pass it on? It was given to me 
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Christmas Tips
What would they do if it was the other way around?twoloops wrote:Today I have covered a walk, regular postman’s long weekend off & received over £60 in tips, would you keep schtum & pocket it or pass it on? It was given to me
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Christmas Tips
Strange culture we have here. You are expected to tip a waitress a few quid for a few visits to your table, but not expected to tip a postman who delivers to you most days of the year.