ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Big changes
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Big changes
"Big changes" i.e. how can the screws make the business more efficient?
Look at Sickness/absence, Overtime claimed, Tracked scans etc etc and then find ways to try and rectify it by moving and utilising staff. I know of one postal worker who worked as a floater who regularly claimed overtime excess every day, they were put on a fixed duty, and boom....overtime gone. Is it fair?? They get around is 'individual circumstances' but the business really doesn't care, it only cares about efficiency. Is it fair that one guy only preps one duty indoors whilst someone else has to do two? What about the indoor plans which has someone doing an hour or walk sorting whilst someone else doesn't have to do any at all?
Its ironic in the Royal Mail that the only way that you make yourself super efficient is by doing as little work as possible!!
Look at Sickness/absence, Overtime claimed, Tracked scans etc etc and then find ways to try and rectify it by moving and utilising staff. I know of one postal worker who worked as a floater who regularly claimed overtime excess every day, they were put on a fixed duty, and boom....overtime gone. Is it fair?? They get around is 'individual circumstances' but the business really doesn't care, it only cares about efficiency. Is it fair that one guy only preps one duty indoors whilst someone else has to do two? What about the indoor plans which has someone doing an hour or walk sorting whilst someone else doesn't have to do any at all?
Its ironic in the Royal Mail that the only way that you make yourself super efficient is by doing as little work as possible!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Big changes
The way things are it is going to be hard for our union to argue against cuts because of the Data capture. We are and have always been our own worst enemies
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Big changes
I'm only speculating, but I take your point. A floater may be quicker because he is not as diligent as a duty-holder as he's not on it regularly so doesn't care as much or cuts corners, but in doing the round quicker just makes the DH look slow. I'd say you can only be compared to your own performance not someone else's, unless its apparent you are taking the piss. I do think there is the potential that this could lead to more B and H, if it is a course of action they decide to implement.citypostie wrote:So will that work the other way? Duty holders always hours over but then when they are off the cover people can complete it with plenty of spare time, so do the duty holders get pulled in for performance issues when their performance is compared to people who don't have a vested interest in making the duty too big so they don't have to do lapse or can claim lots of overtimemickeymacca wrote:When PDA actuals came in there was not going to be an immediate transformation. Information needed to be harvested for a period of time six months or so for it to be acted upon. The idea of dragging your heels for an hour or so on a light day won't be tolerated when there is a comparison for the duty holders regular performance, which has been harvested during the first six month period of PDA actuals operating. The OP will be disciplined for performance issues......j1mmyc wrote:Clocking in and out won't make a difference to people doing overtime, everyone thought it would be the end of ghosting etc when the pda actuals were brought in but that lasted all of a day, all clocking in and out will do is make people drag there feet and not do overtime, then the dom will turn a blind eye then it's back to square one
not sure how realistic this, as you say it all goes out of the window when a few go sick and the DOM needs a few favours........
'Libraries gave us power'
-
elteleltel
- Posts: 120
- Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 17:27
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hertfordshire
Big changes
Sitting in your van is not really a break is it
-
ripio
- Posts: 233
- Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
- Gender: Male
Big changes
How do you wash your hands after handling all the mail thats been travelling all over the country in contact with who knows what, and handling letterboxes which in some cases are filthy?gimba wrote:DGH wrote:
Sit in the car, have a sandwhich, nom nom nom
-
hero22
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Big changes
I have 40 mins paid break a day. If I take 20 before I leave office then is it not up to me when I take rest of it ? If I chose to go home I don’t see the issue. I’ve done my work and am taking my 20 mins paid break at end of day. Will inform the 120 other staff in my office though tomorrow there all wrong. !!!!!scoobydo79 wrote:Then Your entire office is in the wrong.JHC!!!! why do you think it’s called a break?
-
blue1873
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 8906
- Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
- Gender: Male
Big changes
No it is'nt, surely if you are out on delivery and without facilities you should be able to leave the vanelteleltel wrote:Sitting in your van is not really a break is it
to get something to eat / access toilets ,your break time is YOUR break time.
-
donein
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 10:53
- Location: north devon
Big changes
Duesouth wrote:I think these are trials on how to reduce the working week to 35hrs. Not sure where these trials are being held but the rumour has it that sequence mail would not be put in the frame but would be taken out with you in the van then you would have two bundles back to back. One being the sequenced mail and the other manual.
If this is the case expect more cuts and more problems for us. I can't see how this would work as sorting mail in the back of the van on a windy day is going to be a nightmare. Lapsing duties will be interesting as everyone will be flicking through mail. Chaos springs to mind.
you have forgot to add a bundle of d2d,s to carry aswell
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12196
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Big changes
Higher up could well just see it as people finishing early and so believe there to be too many hours in the office. 20mins across all the 120 staff added up would give higher up or the DOM scope to remove a whole duty out of the office, meaning more lapsing for everyonehero22 wrote:I have 40 mins paid break a day. If I take 20 before I leave office then is it not up to me when I take rest of it ? If I chose to go home I don’t see the issue. I’ve done my work and am taking my 20 mins paid break at end of day. Will inform the 120 other staff in my office though tomorrow there all wrong. !!!!!scoobydo79 wrote:Then Your entire office is in the wrong.JHC!!!! why do you think it’s called a break?
-
gimba
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
- Gender: Male
Big changes
Hand Sanitiser, they do plenty of pocket size onesblue1873 wrote:No it is'nt, surely if you are out on delivery and without facilities you should be able to leave the vanelteleltel wrote:Sitting in your van is not really a break is it
to get something to eat / access toilets ,your break time is YOUR break time.
-
Tomolo208
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
- Gender: Male
Big changes
Having your most efficient staff in the right place is what needs to happen.
Every office has one or two super sorters who are twice as fast as anyone else. They should be given less time on delivery and brought in earlier each day. They should also not be prepping their own frames and the fastest frame preppers should be doing it. If you reward the most efficient with the easier outdoor duties, you will create a culture of efficiency and others will want to become more efficient indoor to get the easier jobs.
So often you see people with the cushty jobs intentionally prepping slower because they know they'll be finished too early. Take the slow work off them and give it to someone else more efficient.
We aren't killing the job. Becoming more efficient equals a shorter working week, we won't get it without it.
Every office has one or two super sorters who are twice as fast as anyone else. They should be given less time on delivery and brought in earlier each day. They should also not be prepping their own frames and the fastest frame preppers should be doing it. If you reward the most efficient with the easier outdoor duties, you will create a culture of efficiency and others will want to become more efficient indoor to get the easier jobs.
So often you see people with the cushty jobs intentionally prepping slower because they know they'll be finished too early. Take the slow work off them and give it to someone else more efficient.
We aren't killing the job. Becoming more efficient equals a shorter working week, we won't get it without it.
-
DGH
- Posts: 710
- Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
- Gender: Male
- Location: Neither here nor there
Big changes
That would mean it'd have to be acknowledged and accepted that some people are better than others (at least at certain things). People have conniptions if you even suggest that might be the case.Tomolo208 wrote:Having your most efficient staff in the right place is what needs to happen.
-
yubin282
- Posts: 994
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Big changes
I've never understood why RM pay people overtime everyday to do IPS work (where 'losing' indoor work apparently), surely the CWU should fight tooth and nail to stop this.
Essentially forcing some of us to finish early (not everybody)
Essentially forcing some of us to finish early (not everybody)
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Big changes
I don’t think it will wash.Managers will see Your going home early as far as they are concerned.hero22 wrote:I have 40 mins paid break a day. If I take 20 before I leave office then is it not up to me when I take rest of it ? If I chose to go home I don’t see the issue. I’ve done my work and am taking my 20 mins paid break at end of day. Will inform the 120 other staff in my office though tomorrow there all wrong. !!!!!scoobydo79 wrote:Then Your entire office is in the wrong.JHC!!!! why do you think it’s called a break?
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Big changes
You are entitled to take the second twenty minute break at the end of your duty after you have returned to the DO.scoobydo79 wrote:I don’t think it will wash.Managers will see Your going home early as far as they are concerned.hero22 wrote:I have 40 mins paid break a day. If I take 20 before I leave office then is it not up to me when I take rest of it ? If I chose to go home I don’t see the issue. I’ve done my work and am taking my 20 mins paid break at end of day. Will inform the 120 other staff in my office though tomorrow there all wrong. !!!!!scoobydo79 wrote:Then Your entire office is in the wrong.JHC!!!! why do you think it’s called a break?
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.