ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas Tips

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by citypostie »

Next to nothing on my round, best tips I've had have come from the "poorer" areas I deliver to the more affluent ones don't give anything, probably explains how they afford the nice cars and houses
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by sindba »

Few hundred quid most years, plus the odd bit of chocolate, wine etc.

I'm not bragging, just lucky to have 'one of those' rounds.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by miles_peters »

just hit the £900 mark, very happy, from past experience I should get another £100 to £200 on Monday. zero sick this year, never come in early, rarely go over my time.

now what should I buy....


happy days!!!
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by wacko74 »

citypostie wrote:Next to nothing on my round, best tips I've had have come from the "poorer" areas I deliver to the more affluent ones don't give anything, probably explains how they afford the nice cars and houses

Definitely the poorer areas are most generous but some of the genuinely wealthy areas aren't too bad either (so I've heard)

It's the middle class ''aspirational'' types that are the real tight arses and they more than likely can't afford the nice houses and cars... they'll be mortgaged and PCP'd up to their eyeballs living their ten bob millionaire fake lifestyles.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Sir Henry »

One more working day until the 25th and as predicted the grand total so far stands at a whopping f**k all.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
doob
Posts: 61
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 21:52
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by doob »

Thr
doob
Posts: 61
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 21:52
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by doob »

Maybe buy some modesty. I do hate that this job has soo much difference in the money we get. We all get the same money which is good in one way but not good when u see some of the awful posties there are. The tips thing is another reason xmas sucks for some of us more than others. U know that some of the posties are taking home hundreds of £ as well as in tips/wine Chocolate. Whereas others get nothing. I know some have done along time on a round etc but still hurts. Especially as they know only 1 round in the office and I know most of them
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by aiden01 »

doob wrote:Maybe buy some modesty. I do hate that this job has soo much difference in the money we get. We all get the same money which is good in one way but not good when u see some of the awful posties there are. The tips thing is another reason xmas sucks for some of us more than others. U know that some of the posties are taking home hundreds of £ as well as in tips/wine Chocolate. Whereas others get nothing. I know some have done along time on a round etc but still hurts. Especially as they know only 1 round in the office and I know most of them
Bit of jealousy creeping in.. do you tip your postie :hmmmm
doob
Posts: 61
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 21:52
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by doob »

Yeah I’m jealous. Damn right. Yes I do actually.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by crimson king »

Edited by me due to content being drunken rubbish :roll:
Last edited by crimson king on 23 Dec 2018, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by crimson king »

clashcityrocker wrote:I once took over a post round in late October. It was rumoured to be excellent for xmas tips.
One particular household got loads of mail and packets. i was always very polite and attentive to the woman who answered the door.
Come Christmas Eve and I took a large parcel to the door. A completely different woman came to the door.
I had spent 2 months being polite and attentive to their cleaner.
Mate! That's about the luck I'd have, ha ha
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
scoobymunster
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by scoobymunster »

What's the general consensus about tips in your offices? Do all Duty Holders tend to give something to their floater? if the same reserve always covers for certain peoples annual leave, would any of them be tipped also? It's amazing how much aggro this topic can cause within the office.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Newbie001 »

Never heard of a duty holder giving anything to floater. Maybe some do but in most offices, probably not. Once covered a duty for six month including Christmas because of dutyholder sickness. Had lots say they would see dutyholder when they come back for their tip. A few gave the tips to partner instead. Thanks very much.
Reserves pretty much get nothing for doing same amount of work as dutyholder. Is it fair, not really. But let's be honest how could you change it without causing major arguments. Me, I expect nothing. And if I get something then I'm happy.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by Sir Henry »

Well I must admit as a cover I didn't do the same job as a duty holder, none of the punters got any favours and I did the job to suit myself. Duty holders may as well write a directory of customers individual needs and I wasn't playing that game.

Anyone consider that you showing up at a door every now and again isn't going to endear you as much to Joe Public compared to showing up 300+ days like a walkholder?
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

Christmas Tips

Post by DiamondSmiles »

I would give a 1/6th of my tips to my day off colleague, but he is so crap at his job and i end up fending off countless complaints from my customers the following day that he can go whistle.