ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Loneliness

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by crimson king »

Murdoch wrote:This is hilarious. I'm sure old dear Betty used to love the fact her postie had time to check in on her, ask how she was.

Well, those days are gone. You can't privatise a public service, track and measure us to within an inch of our lives, pile on more workload, consistently apply the pressure of "efficiency cuts", generally make your staff feel overworked and unrewarded. And then turn around to Betty and say, hey if you pay us 20 quid a month we'll get a postie to check in on you, remember like the good old times, remember Betty, when the postie didn't get pissed off at you if you took a few minutes to come to the door? It'll just be like the good old times. Except the postie will begrudge having to do it, will have to ask stupid prescribed questions listed on the PDA, it will be timed, and at the end, you'll probably have to get a barcode on your forehead scanned.

What a joke.

Betty has probably voted Tory for the last 40 years too.
Brilliant! :Applause
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
PorkPie
Posts: 42
Joined: 07 Feb 2011, 23:14
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by PorkPie »

The mind boggles at those that still hold a romanticised view of what being a postman is actually like these days .. do these people believe that Postman Pat is based on true events ? .. although I do have a rural round I can't say I've ever been called on to hire the Royal Mail helicopter to rescue a stranded cow up a mountain and winch it to safety.

I imagine that Royal Mail management's eyes lit up at the thought that they could potentially charge for this service .. either through subsidy from the government's social care budget or via relatives of the elderly or vulnerable .. let's face it, RM aren't exactly going to suddenly come over all philanthropic, are they ? .. there has to be something in it for them and, as per usual, this will be at the expense both physically and mentally, of those of us at the coalface .. I say physically because you'll still be expected to complete your ever increasing round as well as taking your lapsing as the visits will, like scanning every 2D barcode and "delivering to neighbours", take "no additional time" .. Can you honestly say for certain that a year to 18 months from now we will not all be facing a minimum "visit quota" of, for example, 20 per week ? .. as for the mental aspect .. I look around my office and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of postmen that I would suggest are capable of delivering this service without potentially making the situation worse .. after a previously highly stressful 30 year career in corporate industry, one of the joys of this job for me is not taking any aspect of the day's job home with you and starting afresh the next day .. I care about people and love the interaction with the general public but I can't say I've ever harboured an ambition to be a carer or social worker.

As for the time factor .. I don't know about you but every time I see a publicised statement concerning the "reduction in letter volume" I feel my blood start to boil .. I find the transparent intent to reinforce the public perception that our job is declining incredibly annoying .. our bags have never been heavier .. the rounds are getting longer .. young people enter the business fit and healthy and are physical wrecks within months .. I know the packet volumes of today would make using cycles completely impractical but I would love, for instance, to know the official figures relating to staff turnover regarding IHR and general sickness and the comparison between pre-bike and post-bike periods .. I have a feeling the truth would be horrific.

Finally, kind of unrelated, but while I'm here I need to offload on the share issue .. I cannot understand how the "unscheduled" statement and profit warning can be seen as anything else but utterly scandalous .. if insider trading is a criminal offence, how is this blatant market manipulation any different ? .. the fact that many of us had forecast exactly what would happen months before the event didn't stop us staring open mouthed with incredulity at the sheer bare-faced audacity of the timing of the statement .. three days after the sale date and the shares are already on the rise as we obviously approach our busiest period of the year .. fortunately I was not in a position where I needed to sell but I feel for those that are not so fortunate and had banked on a pre-Christmas windfall to make their lives a little less stressful.

Rant over .. and you might be forgiven for asking why I work for such an apparently uncaring and cynical organisation as RM ? .. in truth, I love my job .. I love the "craic" with the people I work with .. I love meeting people on my round and getting to know them where time allows .. I love being out in the fresh air all year round and, on a beautiful sunny and warm Autumn day like today, is there a better job out there ? .. I don't think so ….................
Last edited by PorkPie on 18 Oct 2018, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
hero22
Posts: 595
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by hero22 »

PorkPie wrote:The mind boggles at those that still hold a romanticised view of what being a postman is actually like these days .. do these people believe that Postman Pat is based on true events ? .. although I do have a rural round I can't say I've ever been called on to hire the Royal Mail helicopter to rescue a stranded cow up a mountain and winch it to safety.

I imagine that Royal Mail management's eyes lit up at the thought that they could potentially charge for this service .. either through subsidy from the government's social care budget or via relatives of the elderly or vulnerable .. let's face it, RM aren't exactly going to suddenly come over all philanthropic, are they ? .. there has to be something in it for them and, as per usual, this will be at the expense both physically and mentally, of those of us at the coalface .. I say physically because you'll still be expected to complete your ever increasing round as well as taking your lapsing as the visits will, like scanning every 2D barcode and "delivering to neighbours", take "no additional time" .. Can you honestly say for certain that a year to 18 months from now we will not all be facing a minimum "visit quota" of, for example, 20 per week ? .. as for the mental aspect .. I look around my office and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of postmen that I would suggest are capable of delivering this service without potentially making the situation worse .. after a previously highly stressful 30 year career in corporate industry, one of the joys of this job for me is not taking any aspect of the day's job home with you and starting afresh the next day .. I care about people and love the interaction with the general public but I can't say I've ever harboured an ambition to be a carer or social worker.

As for the time factor .. I don't know about you but every time I see a publicised statement concerning the "reduction in letter volume" I feel my blood start to boil .. I find the transparent intent to reinforce the public perception that our job is declining incredibly annoying .. our bags have never been heavier .. the rounds are getting longer .. young people enter the business fit and healthy and are physical wrecks within months .. I know the packet volumes of today would make using cycles completely impractical but I would love, for instance, to know the official figures relating to staff turnover regarding IHR and general sickness and the comparison between pre-bike and post-bike periods .. I have a feeling the truth would be horrific.

Finally, kind of unrelated, but while I'm here I need to offload on the share issue .. I cannot understand how the "unscheduled" statement and profit warning can be seen as anything else but utterly scandalous .. if insider training is a criminal offence, how is this blatant market manipulation any different ? .. the fact that many of us had forecast exactly what would happen months before the event didn't stop us staring open mouthed with incredulity at the sheer bare-faced audacity of the timing of the statement .. three days after the sale date and the shares are already on the rise as we obviously approach our busiest period of the year .. fortunately I was not in a position where I needed to sell but I feel for those that are not so fortunate and had banked on a pre-Christmas windfall to make their lives a little less stressful.

Rant over .. and you might be forgiven for asking why I work for such an apparently uncaring and cynical organisation as RM ? .. in truth, I love my job .. I love the "craic" with the people I work with .. I love meeting people on my round and getting to know them where time allows .. I love being out in the fresh air all year round and, on a beautiful sunny and warm Autumn day like today, is there a better job out there ? .. I don't think so ….................
Excellent post. Agree with it all. The share thing is disgusting.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Loneliness

Post by Interested-seeker »

Tomolo208 wrote:I completely agree... if we were still a government run workforce.

Unless the government pay royal mail for this service then it won't happen.
Exactly
gerrys
Posts: 33
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 16:15
Gender: Male

Loneliness

Post by gerrys »

great post "porkpie"