ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
I would not put it like that on here as managers and other spies are lurking in wait for the big job cull of 2016/2017 of the workers.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
Mine bleeps all the time,told Dom I would refuse to drive it as its getting on my nerves! Would he drive His car with one in ? Was there a consultation with us And did the union ok this? It's the newer than the van itself!!!
-
toomuchcoke
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
The boxes don't seem to be set to the same sensitivity across all the vans. The Fiats in my experience tend to be worse than the Peugeots/Vauxhalls, and there's variance between the individual vans too. One of our Fiats is massively sensitive, though changing up at 2000rpm and not pressing the accelerator very much (i.e. drive like an excessively timid pensioner) avoids the worst of it - thought doubtless that doesn't do the engine the power of good.robbertwhitton wrote:Mine bleeps all the time,told Dom I would refuse to drive it as its getting on my nerves! Would he drive His car with one in ? Was there a consultation with us And did the union ok this? It's the newer than the van itself!!!
We did have a comedy Vauxhall for a while where the box only seemed to work in even-number hours ...
-
Postie_Rob
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 16 Jul 2010, 20:34
- Gender: Male
New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
Had WTL today and DOM plugged his laptop into big tv screen and showed us that this records everything. One van on a rural delivery had been noticed as parked up with engine idling for 1 hour 10 mins. He then showed us a picture of location of the van. DOM now has to explain to bosses above what happened. Beware they are watching everything!!
-
themoog
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 05 Nov 2008, 20:46
- Gender: Male
- Location: England
New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
Sodding things! The beep is very annoying...but I appear to be able to ignore it now. I have got round twice without any beeps and keeping the light green...trust me, you have to drive painfully slowly and treat the pedals as if they are made of glass!
The tracker slows you down, yet they want us to take out more and more work. How does that add up?
The tracker slows you down, yet they want us to take out more and more work. How does that add up?
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
Ours only beeps every now and then, maybe once a week, I think we have worn it out as it is always on orange and we drive just the same.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
They are pretty useless and annoying things, but they aren't THAT irritating. I've had it beep at me WHILE STATIONARY on more than one occasion, you get used to it, and it's fun to try and make it beep - it never seems to beep when you want it to even if you drive like Evel Kneivil! (which of course I never do..). Then the next minute it'll beep at you for carefully going round a roundabout! They always seem to beep when the turbo kicks in. It seems to me though that leaving it to idle for a little bit seems to make the light go back to green.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
Sorry to dig up an old post, and perhaps I'm reading this wrong anyway, but a lot in our office (myself included) "share" the two duties of a vanshare. i.e, instead of just being dropped off and doing the whole duty, we'll consolidate both duties together, essentially making more loops I guess. I'll take one bag and the partner will take the other.NewPostieUK wrote:The driver picks up the passenger.greengiant wrote: So for P&L routes which needs one of the pair to pick up the partner at the end of their "one way loop"?
I don't know how so many people have got Park and Loop so wrong. There are two duties put together to make a park and loop pair. The duty holder of Duty 1 (say) is the driver and the duty holder of duty 2 is the passenger. If a reserve or floater does Duty 1, he is the driver for that day. If he does Duty 2 , then he is the passenger for the day.
How else could it work?
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
Getting dropped off and doing the whole duty isn't van share. You 'park' and 'loop'. Sometimes you both go off on foot, sometimes the driver drives away and does his bit either on foot or in van or a bit of both. Then he picks up the passenger and you drive to a new location, and repeat. The drivers loops are meant to be smaller (or some of them are) to enable him to deliver oversize packets and to go off and get SD's done before 1pm.Chewster wrote:Sorry to dig up an old post, and perhaps I'm reading this wrong anyway, but a lot in our office (myself included) "share" the two duties of a vanshare. i.e, instead of just being dropped off and doing the whole duty, we'll consolidate both duties together, essentially making more loops I guess. I'll take one bag and the partner will take the other.NewPostieUK wrote:The driver picks up the passenger.greengiant wrote: So for P&L routes which needs one of the pair to pick up the partner at the end of their "one way loop"?
I don't know how so many people have got Park and Loop so wrong. There are two duties put together to make a park and loop pair. The duty holder of Duty 1 (say) is the driver and the duty holder of duty 2 is the passenger. If a reserve or floater does Duty 1, he is the driver for that day. If he does Duty 2 , then he is the passenger for the day.
How else could it work?
I can't understand how some people 'swap' being a passenger and a driver on the same day. Duty 1 is the driver, duty 2 is the passenger. If you are doing Duty 1 that day, you drive, if you are doing duty 2 that day you DO NOT DRIVE.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
Generally in my office, the driver is the driver and the passenger is the passenger, but we do usually swap from time to time. For example, on the "vanshare" duty I was on today, we were trained as, driver drops me off and I do the whole passenger duty (picking up bags from boxes), and they go off and do the whole of their duty and the large parcels for my duty, then picks me up at the end (passenger duty is bigger than driver duty to allow for extra time delivering packets). As I said up there, we've consolidated the duties together, but naturally there are a couple of bits of eachother's duty we're not too familiar with, so when delivering the large packets to those bits, we do sometimes swap. Against the rules technically, but against common sense? No.NewPostieUK wrote:Getting dropped off and doing the whole duty isn't van share. You 'park' and 'loop'. Sometimes you both go off on foot, sometimes the driver drives away and does his bit either on foot or in van or a bit of both. Then he picks up the passenger and you drive to a new location, and repeat. The drivers loops are meant to be smaller (or some of them are) to enable him to deliver oversize packets and to go off and get SD's done before 1pm.Chewster wrote:Sorry to dig up an old post, and perhaps I'm reading this wrong anyway, but a lot in our office (myself included) "share" the two duties of a vanshare. i.e, instead of just being dropped off and doing the whole duty, we'll consolidate both duties together, essentially making more loops I guess. I'll take one bag and the partner will take the other.NewPostieUK wrote:The driver picks up the passenger.greengiant wrote: So for P&L routes which needs one of the pair to pick up the partner at the end of their "one way loop"?
I don't know how so many people have got Park and Loop so wrong. There are two duties put together to make a park and loop pair. The duty holder of Duty 1 (say) is the driver and the duty holder of duty 2 is the passenger. If a reserve or floater does Duty 1, he is the driver for that day. If he does Duty 2 , then he is the passenger for the day.
How else could it work?
I can't understand how some people 'swap' being a passenger and a driver on the same day. Duty 1 is the driver, duty 2 is the passenger. If you are doing Duty 1 that day, you drive, if you are doing duty 2 that day you DO NOT DRIVE.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
Also sorry to spell everything out like that, I'm not meaning to sound condescending, I just don't know if different offices work the same as mine! No two offices seem to be the same.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2033
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
I thought the drop box had long gone, obviously not in some areas. Who fills them up?Chewster wrote:
Generally in my office, the driver is the driver and the passenger is the passenger, but we do usually swap from time to time. For example, on the "vanshare" duty I was on today, we were trained as, driver drops me off and I do the whole passenger duty (picking up bags from boxes), and they go off and do the whole of their duty and the large parcels for my duty, then picks me up at the end (passenger duty is bigger than driver duty to allow for extra time delivering packets). As I said up there, we've consolidated the duties together, but naturally there are a couple of bits of eachother's duty we're not too familiar with, so when delivering the large packets to those bits, we do sometimes swap. Against the rules technically, but against common sense? No.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
They're not supposed to be used anymore, but our doms still encourage us to use them if need be. Usually we fill them up on the way to drop the passenger off. Sometimes the hct duties will also need extra bags, in which case one of the locker staff fills them I thinkA2B wrote:I thought the drop box had long gone, obviously not in some areas. Who fills them up?Chewster wrote:
Generally in my office, the driver is the driver and the passenger is the passenger, but we do usually swap from time to time. For example, on the "vanshare" duty I was on today, we were trained as, driver drops me off and I do the whole passenger duty (picking up bags from boxes), and they go off and do the whole of their duty and the large parcels for my duty, then picks me up at the end (passenger duty is bigger than driver duty to allow for extra time delivering packets). As I said up there, we've consolidated the duties together, but naturally there are a couple of bits of eachother's duty we're not too familiar with, so when delivering the large packets to those bits, we do sometimes swap. Against the rules technically, but against common sense? No.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2033
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
Chewster wrote:
They're not supposed to be used anymore, but our doms still encourage us to use them if need be.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans
The correct procedure is that someone brings the bag out to us when we need it, but, as we're so understaffed, we rarely have someone available to do that...and that's after hiring new staff... hence still using the drop boxes, albeit rarelyA2B wrote:Chewster wrote:
They're not supposed to be used anymore, but our doms still encourage us to use them if need be.![]()
![]()