It's suprising what you learn on here compared to what you learn at work!!! I'm glad i know this now.meercat wrote:Didn't know a passenger can not legally drive the vehicle. More people need to know this!TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Driver Responsibility
Only the driver whose name is recorded in the logbook may drive the vehicle until responsibility is transferred. Subsequent drivers must carry out at least a “duty” level (roadworthiness) vehicle check before driving and the vehicle logbook must be completed in line with the example used in the Overnight Retention of Vehicles Policy.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
trackers in vans
-
maximus12
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 08:59
- Gender: Male
Re: trackers in vans
-
Splappy_McSplap
- Posts: 235
- Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 13:55
- Gender: Male
Re: trackers in vans
I now have these in 4 out of the 5 vans I use for town centre duties and:
1) You cannot stop on an amber light without getting a "beep".
2) You cannot stop when a pedestrian steps out into the road in front of you without getting a "beep".
3) You cannot get into a gap on a busy roundabout without getting a "beep".
So I suppose we are just supposed to sit there with a queue of 10 cars behind us then when rush hour ends, slowly drive off through a red light into a pedestrian.
1) You cannot stop on an amber light without getting a "beep".
2) You cannot stop when a pedestrian steps out into the road in front of you without getting a "beep".
3) You cannot get into a gap on a busy roundabout without getting a "beep".
So I suppose we are just supposed to sit there with a queue of 10 cars behind us then when rush hour ends, slowly drive off through a red light into a pedestrian.
-
Izzy
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 23:09
Re: trackers in vans
I recently did 2days on a rural in a van with one of these devices fitted. I've also looked at the sheet in our office explaining its purpose.
I'm a bit of a hypermiler in terms of driving style so it didn't bother me until I got to a bit of the delivery where I have to pull onto and off a 60mph bypass for a few calls. The traffic is continuous and you just have to go for any gap u see. After that no bother again.
The device is designed to improve mpgs. That is all. You can ignore it. It doesn't know who's driving. It cannot be used in conduct cases. It is not a tracker. It just detects harsh acceleration, braking and cornering.
I'm a bit of a hypermiler in terms of driving style so it didn't bother me until I got to a bit of the delivery where I have to pull onto and off a 60mph bypass for a few calls. The traffic is continuous and you just have to go for any gap u see. After that no bother again.
The device is designed to improve mpgs. That is all. You can ignore it. It doesn't know who's driving. It cannot be used in conduct cases. It is not a tracker. It just detects harsh acceleration, braking and cornering.
-
franco1
- Posts: 185
- Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Re: trackers in vans
Can i get my van fitted with a device that talks to me like in 'Knight Rider'?

-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: trackers in vans
They told you it's not a tracker? Even if they told me that I wouldn't believe them because I think it clearly is one.Izzy wrote:I recently did 2days on a rural in a van with one of these devices fitted. I've also looked at the sheet in our office explaining its purpose.
I'm a bit of a hypermiler in terms of driving style so it didn't bother me until I got to a bit of the delivery where I have to pull onto and off a 60mph bypass for a few calls. The traffic is continuous and you just have to go for any gap u see. After that no bother again.
The device is designed to improve mpgs. That is all. You can ignore it. It doesn't know who's driving. It cannot be used in conduct cases. It is not a tracker. It just detects harsh acceleration, braking and cornering.
I worked for a company once some years ago which had a similar device fitted to their small fleet so that they could 'send immediate assistance if a vehicle was hijacked and stolen', they told us. The truth was that they just used them to keep tabs on all the employees every minute of the day, making sure they didn't nip down to burger king when on a call!
Last edited by wannabeek on 16 Oct 2015, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12185
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: trackers in vans
What, this?franco1 wrote:Can i get my van fitted with a device that talks to me like in 'Knight Rider'?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/iiti/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: trackers in vans
Izzy wrote:I recently did 2days on a rural in a van with one of these devices fitted. I've also looked at the sheet in our office explaining its purpose.
I'm a bit of a hypermiler in terms of driving style so it didn't bother me until I got to a bit of the delivery where I have to pull onto and off a 60mph bypass for a few calls. The traffic is continuous and you just have to go for any gap u see. After that no bother again.
The device is designed to improve mpgs. That is all. You can ignore it. It doesn't know who's driving. It cannot be used in conduct cases. It is not a tracker. It just detects harsh acceleration, braking and cornering.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: trackers in vans
I wonder if they'll fit them to HCTs? Not sure how they'd power them though, perhaps with a dynamo running off the side of one of the wheels?Lounge Lizard wrote:Izzy wrote:I recently did 2days on a rural in a van with one of these devices fitted. I've also looked at the sheet in our office explaining its purpose.
I'm a bit of a hypermiler in terms of driving style so it didn't bother me until I got to a bit of the delivery where I have to pull onto and off a 60mph bypass for a few calls. The traffic is continuous and you just have to go for any gap u see. After that no bother again.
The device is designed to improve mpgs. That is all. You can ignore it. It doesn't know who's driving. It cannot be used in conduct cases. It is not a tracker. It just detects harsh acceleration, braking and cornering.The device is designed to improve mpgs. That is all.
and to monitor if you're stopping off anywhere for 'breakfast'.
-
bertieboy
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 25 Jul 2010, 19:53
- Gender: Male
Re: trackers in vans
With deliveries like they are,I think you mean supperLounge Lizard wrote:Izzy wrote:I recently did 2days on a rural in a van with one of these devices fitted. I've also looked at the sheet in our office explaining its purpose.
I'm a bit of a hypermiler in terms of driving style so it didn't bother me until I got to a bit of the delivery where I have to pull onto and off a 60mph bypass for a few calls. The traffic is continuous and you just have to go for any gap u see. After that no bother again.
The device is designed to improve mpgs. That is all. You can ignore it. It doesn't know who's driving. It cannot be used in conduct cases. It is not a tracker. It just detects harsh acceleration, braking and cornering.The device is designed to improve mpgs. That is all.
and to monitor if you're stopping off anywhere for 'breakfast'.
-
toomuchcoke
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Re: trackers in vans
You must have been lucky and got one of the vans with a lower sensitivity box! One of the vans I drive is so sensitive it basically adds about 2 hours to the delivery if you attempt to drive with no beeps, one of the others you can basically drive however you like and it won't beep!Izzy wrote:I recently did 2days on a rural in a van with one of these devices fitted. I've also looked at the sheet in our office explaining its purpose.
-
grabbertom
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 26 Jan 2011, 18:59
- Gender: Male
Re: trackers in vans
My first day in a van fitted with driver behaviour technology and it was shite. It beeps all the time for anything minor not just over revving it. Accelerate at a medium pace and it beeps brake slowly it still beeps. Dont do a u turn or drive round a bend or it will beep. Drive onto the curb to let traffic past while delivering and it beeps. Quite depressing really.
-
franco1
- Posts: 185
- Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Re: trackers in vans
My van is van is going in for a service tomorow reckon it will be fitted with tracker.
Question - if i buy earplugs from poundland will they work or should i spend a little more and get from Boots??
Question - if i buy earplugs from poundland will they work or should i spend a little more and get from Boots??
-
Broxi51
- Posts: 1154
- Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 19:04
- Location: Scotland
Re: trackers in vans
I hate the bloody things. It even beeped at me once when I had stopped and put on the handbrake.
I have conversations with it everyday usually ending in, off.
I am now driving within the green light and it slows you down. Junctions are terrible
as you have to make sure that nothing is on the horizon so that you can pull away slowly and safely,
this in turn causes OT, which in turn causes manager to talk to rep about it.
Some colleagues just drive in the amber but that wasn't what they were fitted for and I have
tried to explain that we should all drive in the green and Royal Mail can either accept the
increase of OT offsetting the fuel we have saved or they can take the trackers out.
As long as it is in a van I use then I will drive accordingly and continue to shout at the f*$#ing thing
when It reckons I have braked, turned or accelerated too aggressively.
I have conversations with it everyday usually ending in, off.
I am now driving within the green light and it slows you down. Junctions are terrible
as you have to make sure that nothing is on the horizon so that you can pull away slowly and safely,
this in turn causes OT, which in turn causes manager to talk to rep about it.
Some colleagues just drive in the amber but that wasn't what they were fitted for and I have
tried to explain that we should all drive in the green and Royal Mail can either accept the
increase of OT offsetting the fuel we have saved or they can take the trackers out.
As long as it is in a van I use then I will drive accordingly and continue to shout at the f*$#ing thing
when It reckons I have braked, turned or accelerated too aggressively.
The time has come to stop turning the other cheek, time to stop shaking our heads in bitter dismay, time to stop mumbling our angry words.
The time has come for union.
The time has come for union.
-
smudge64
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 19 Jan 2012, 18:17
- Gender: Male
Re: trackers in vans
I just got a couple of cloths and put them over it with an elastic band and turned my radio up a little and ignore it..I think the lights are a distraction to driving and take your eyes off the road..I can just about hear it beeping away sometimes but couldnt care less..
Its just another stupid idea along with the many others"colleague shares" "consignia" park and loop starburst..remember that one..need I go on eh!!!!
Its just another stupid idea along with the many others"colleague shares" "consignia" park and loop starburst..remember that one..need I go on eh!!!!
-
Deadly
- Posts: 703
- Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
- Gender: Male
Re: trackers in vans
I've only driven one van with these fitted and I can barely hear it beep so the first I know is when the orange light pops on. I'm a steady driver and won't be changing my driving style as they are stupidly over sensitive.