ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Suicide

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Suicide

Post by NewPostieUK »

clashcityrocker wrote:Do you lot listen to Black Sabbath records backwards?
tseirP saduJ |
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Suicide

Post by DGP1 »

clashcityrocker wrote:Do you lot listen to Black Sabbath records backwards?
I thought it was Judas Priest :hmmmm
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Suicide

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Judas Priest Subliminal Messages Suicide Trial - http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/ev ... ide-trial/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Suicide

Post by DGP1 »

NewPostieUK wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:Do you lot listen to Black Sabbath records backwards?
tseirP saduJ |
I see what you did there :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Suicide

Post by clashcityrocker »

Heavy Metal all sounds the same to me.
Or:
em ot emas eht sdnuos lla letaM yvaeH
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by TheCobra »

venger wrote:This is a good thread and I'd like to contribute.

I've had thoughts of suicide since the age of 12. Since I left junior school and went to comprehensive. Although these thoughts have passed for a length of time they're always there, somewhere, lingering in the back of my mind.

I try to fill my life with things. I read, write, draw, play instruments. I've worked for charities, been a youth worker in a local church. It helped but I was only really putting the problems away for a little while.
Some people may think that this job - being outside in the fresh air, no boss looking over your shoulder would be really good, and it is (To a degree). But with it comes one problem I don't think anyone has mentioned; It gives you an awful lot of time to THINK. I don't see many people on my delivery anymore, so 90% of the time I'm on my own. Far too much time to think.

I'm sure there are worse jobs to have but there are many problems not only within RM but this job also creates problems. I've lost a few friends because they got sick of me not being able to attend get-togethers and other things. I've had to miss out on holidays with people because I simply couldn't get the time off work. I realise that it's really their problem that they can't understand the structure within RM, but it's just another thing to add on top.
This job HAS got worse, I don't care what anyone says. When I first started. I came in at 5:20am, was out on delivery by 7:00 - 7:30 and finished by 9:30 - 10:00. Back in the office and actually had time to have something to eat. Then did sorting for the remainder of the shift. I understand "Things change" but all the broken promises get on top of you after a while. The weather also doesn't help.

It's not a case of 'talk to someone about it" as BS male bravado often gets in the way. I completely agree with the '5 minutes either way' because that's all it takes.
I haven't even mentioned the things in my personal life but I want to keep this more focused around the job.
Good post mate, I feel that since P&L came in it's a bit less of a lonely job. I get on pretty well with the guy i work with, so we have a laugh and if we're having a s**t day at least we're both having a s**t day, the old way I did get more lonely out and about on my own for 4 hours.

Yes I agree it does give you a lot of time to think but it also keeps my mind busy to enough degree to not be able to wallow too much, if I think too deeply about other stuff I end up making mistakes!

Agree also about the social side, for everything this job gives me, it takes soemthing away. It gives me freedom from a boss once out and about and gets me outside and seeing people every day, they are the 2 things I like. It takes away most of my social life and also when I get home I'm pretty tired so don't have much energy left to do anything much really, e.g. I play a few instruments and write songs but that hasn't really happened as much or as well since I was in this job.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Suicide

Post by krussel »

TheCobra wrote: get more lonely out and about on my own for 4 hours
As you have brought it up and as its not a very macho thing to admit but it is actually TRUE :sad:

Too much time to think is a problem with the job esp now we get out later and most folks on the round are at work so you see less and less people. I think it depends on your personal life and how its going but if you have problems then they tend to go round and round in your head. :roll:

A few years ago when i had shite going on it was a nightmare on the round but i found a MP3 , radio helped with the best being audio books (librivox.org). Only trouble is you have to think really hard about delivering or you make mistakes. Maybe thats the whole idea though :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Suicide

Post by Lounge Lizard »

krussel wrote:
TheCobra wrote: get more lonely out and about on my own for 4 hours
As you have brought it up and as its not a very macho thing to admit but it is actually TRUE :sad:

Too much time to think is a problem with the job esp now we get out later and most folks on the round are at work so you see less and less people. I think it depends on your personal life and how its going but if you have problems then they tend to go round and round in your head. :roll:

A few years ago when i had shite going on it was a nightmare on the round but i found a MP3 , radio helped with the best being audio books (librivox.org). Only trouble is you have to think really hard about delivering or you make mistakes. Maybe thats the whole idea though :hmmmm
I don't find too much time to think is a problem especially as some concentration is needed to drive safely enough and to deliver letters to the correct address.
I couldn't cope with an MP3, just as I can rarely watch the TV at home since being off work with depression for many months some years ago.
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by TheCobra »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
krussel wrote:
TheCobra wrote: get more lonely out and about on my own for 4 hours
As you have brought it up and as its not a very macho thing to admit but it is actually TRUE :sad:

Too much time to think is a problem with the job esp now we get out later and most folks on the round are at work so you see less and less people. I think it depends on your personal life and how its going but if you have problems then they tend to go round and round in your head. :roll:

A few years ago when i had shite going on it was a nightmare on the round but i found a MP3 , radio helped with the best being audio books (librivox.org). Only trouble is you have to think really hard about delivering or you make mistakes. Maybe thats the whole idea though :hmmmm
I don't find too much time to think is a problem especially as some concentration is needed to drive safely enough and to deliver letters to the correct address.
I couldn't cope with an MP3, just as I can rarely watch the TV at home since being off work with depression for many months some years ago.
I have tried the MP3 player/radio and couldn't hack it. I found it too hard to concentrate on delivering the letters, just made me less relaxed as I was having to conctrate a lot harder.

I prefer the peace and quiet to be honest, I get in a sort of meditative state, where I don't have to think about any one thing too much, sort of clear my mind of most things and just float round - most of my round is memory so I just get into a settled state of mind and chill out.

Sometimes if someone stops me to ask directions or something I am really quite startled, as I get into quite a relaxed flow, it takes me quite a while to be able to actually answer their question and be able to think straight!
Godric
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 855
Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 12:08
Gender: Male
Location: The Kingdom of Alba

Re: Suicide

Post by Godric »

alloria wrote:Just a general question. Has anybody on here ever thought about suicide? Whether work related or not?

I am more inclined to kill a manager than I would myself .... not that I would kill anyone ... if I ever got to that stage I would walk away from the job ... as it ain't worth dieing over
"Vi har haft århundraden av kärlek och tillit till varandra."
alloria
Posts: 176
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 22:48
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by alloria »

I think that with the way we are all generally treated, and the fact that jobs are so few and far between these days, we will be seeing a lot more suicides from now on. I for one am becoming a lot more tempted by the idea as the days go by. If I suddenly stop posting, you will know why. I am finished.
Vote no on the "Agreement"
royalmailslave
Posts: 126
Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 17:09
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by royalmailslave »

I personally think that anyone who takes their own life if they have children are very selfish and cowardly,my comments are not aimed at starting a big argument and I know some will agree but many wont,it's just what I think.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Suicide

Post by DB1100 »

royalmailslave wrote:I personally think that anyone who takes their own life if they have children are very selfish and cowardly,my comments are not aimed at starting a big argument and I know some will agree but many wont,it's just what I think.
I disagree.To a person who has completeley broken it can seem the only way out and that everyone will be better off without them,I hope you never get that low.
For we were soldiers once,and young
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by fishtank »

royalmailslave wrote:I personally think that anyone who takes their own life if they have children are very selfish and cowardly,my comments are not aimed at starting a big argument and I know some will agree but many wont,it's just what I think.
When you are suffering from depression and the default position from society is that you are a lazy,malingering chancer who is just a burden to everyone around them especially their children it can feel very selfish and cowardly not to at least consider the option.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
royalmailslave
Posts: 126
Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 17:09
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by royalmailslave »

The devastating lasting effect it can have on children is profound, a close friend of mine who is himself now an adult cant shake off the fact or come to terms with his own fathers suicide all them years ago when he was a child,its painful to see.I understand and respect your views and opinions....but I can't change mine,I hope I'm never in a place so low that I see that as an option.