dvbuk55dvbuk55 wrote:I'm not suggesting that you are a 70s throwback nor a knight in shining armour but there is a tendency to blame anyone but the union, it's organisation at shop floor level, poor communication, poor agreements. How many offices do not have reps, how many where there is low membership, how many where the agreement is not adhered to? You see my opinion is that there should be less in the way of a reactive stance and a more pro active stance. The union should know the answer to those questions and organise area coverage where no reps exist. Because the union has relied far too much on local agreement within the national guidelines the result is a huge divide in acceptable practices. In order to rectify this the union must withdraw from the "Joint" activity and return to actually representing the membership and not merely a mouthpiece for Royal Mail. Unless the union becomes more member friendly with open negotiation and true financial accountability I am afraid it is a downward spiral.tommyrep wrote:dvbuk55
I do not profess to be a night in shining armour and you may be right about some offices having less members than non-members, but I will always maintain that if a workforce is united regardless of union membership - management would take a slightly different stance. I am not relic from union strength of the 70's, but I do see the dangers of RM's management tactics. They thrive on the division between staff members whether union or not, eg early starters/non break takers as compared to the ones who only wish to work their contracted hours.
Who does the manager in your reference go to when office matters are to be discussed, like weekly RM meetings ? or does he run the office like Stalin, bullying and intimidating staff at his whim ?
My wish and aim is only to see some level of fairness and respect displayed by management towards an ever more disillusioned staff, I am not some militant trouble maker !
There is an element of truth in some points you make! My general point in all these exchanges is that, as a workforce - whether union members or not - we all need to address the obvious "apathy" that exits throughout the business, because if it continues without a massive re-think by us all we are all truly doomed. My personal view is that this would be better achieved with a united worforce - within a strong trade union. I know my opinion may differ from yours but RM only see a workplace without union reresentation/recognition or units with large numbers of non-members as an easy target to exploit people and "use and abuse" them at their whim ! Who can these individual turn to ? If they have NO voice they hold no clout what so ever, I know that and I think you do as well. You may be able to stand up to a bullying manager but many others can be more easily intimidated and would benefit from some support even if it's from a lack luster union. As Fishtank stated things have become so bad we may now be beyond the point of turning things around - my honest opinion is we should not just accept RM's current direction of hammering a good workforce into the ground only because there is no resistance - and I accept the CWU must take a more Pro-active role in stopping this style of management behavior. The Union has it's faults but we all need to "man up" soon, as I loath the thought that their ploy of grinding us down slowly will win at the end of the day.