ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Threatened with no overtime.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32819
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened with no overtime.
Royal Mail insurance-to let posties use their cars on delivery-signed off and agreed by our union. 
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened with no overtime.
they would have gotten those 6 points and £300 pound fine anyway as they wouldnt have had the correct type of business insurancehantsman wrote:zx135 wrote:Doesnt need any extra insurance if he is covered by RMs insurance bond, in fact the whole you need business insuarnce when using your car is a myth as its not the correct type of business insurance you would be getting, you would actually need a policy from your insurance company which allows the carrying of mail, not just "ordinary" business insurance and that type of policy costs a fortunehantsman wrote:I've seen yr answer re post in yr car but what insurance do you have?hantsman wrote:Do you just drive to the other DO and then deliver post or do you actually deliver from your private vehicle?Postal Postie II wrote:Oh excellent. So most people advice on here is complain about it to the managers and get no overtime? Living off just 20 hours a week pay.
Very helpful.
Do you have business insurance? Has RM given you permission to do this?
Tell that to a few postman who got 6 points and a £300 fine
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened with no overtime.
your own insurance company do not cover you for carrying mail on a standard business insurance policy, its a specialist policy you need, so if you think all you need to do is call up and ask to get business ocver added onto your policy thats incorrect, yes you can tell them you are a postman and need business cover but that does not cover you for carrying mail, it only covers you for traveling as part of your job not for carrying the mail, if you are carrying mail it will invalidate the business policy thats why royal mail have the insurance bondP13 wrote:Royal Mail's bond is only third party it doesn't cover any damage to your own vehicle and you do have to inform your own insurance company what you are using your car for and they provide the correct insurance for your needszx135 wrote:Doesnt need any extra insurance if he is covered by RMs insurance bond, in fact the whole you need business insuarnce when using your car is a myth as its not the correct type of business insurance you would be getting, you would actually need a policy from your insurance company which allows the carrying of mail, not just "ordinary" business insurance and that type of policy costs a fortunehantsman wrote:I've seen yr answer re post in yr car but what insurance do you have?hantsman wrote:Do you just drive to the other DO and then deliver post or do you actually deliver from your private vehicle?Postal Postie II wrote:Oh excellent. So most people advice on here is complain about it to the managers and get no overtime? Living off just 20 hours a week pay.
Very helpful.
Do you have business insurance? Has RM given you permission to do this?
-
TheCobra
- Posts: 249
- Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened with no overtime.
Now we've gone to P&L I would never use my own car again. I used my own car for 3-4 months over the winter and my car isn't the newest, basically using it every day as a work car has severely erm 'weakened' it, it doesn't drive very well anymore.
I had to replace a starter motor and the gears are crunching from so many short trips and the reversing, general stopping and starting I did using it as a postwagon. Not to mention the weight of stuff I used to carry in the boot and how wrecked your seats get from getting in and out when you are piss wet through.
So in my view, using your own car is just a total mugs game, you are reducing the value of your car, putting hard miles on it and not even insured if someone does break into it. Oh and not forgetting how expensive petrol is these days.
I had to replace a starter motor and the gears are crunching from so many short trips and the reversing, general stopping and starting I did using it as a postwagon. Not to mention the weight of stuff I used to carry in the boot and how wrecked your seats get from getting in and out when you are piss wet through.
So in my view, using your own car is just a total mugs game, you are reducing the value of your car, putting hard miles on it and not even insured if someone does break into it. Oh and not forgetting how expensive petrol is these days.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened with no overtime.
Now you have park and loop, you would never be covered as part of the agreement stated that the band is removed for private cars on delivery after a park and loop revision is implementedTheCobra wrote:Now we've gone to P&L I would never use my own car again. I used my own car for 3-4 months over the winter and my car isn't the newest, basically using it every day as a work car has severely erm 'weakened' it, it doesn't drive very well anymore.
I had to replace a starter motor and the gears are crunching from so many short trips and the reversing, general stopping and starting I did using it as a postwagon. Not to mention the weight of stuff I used to carry in the boot and how wrecked your seats get from getting in and out when you are piss wet through.
So in my view, using your own car is just a total mugs game, you are reducing the value of your car, putting hard miles on it and not even insured if someone does break into it. Oh and not forgetting how expensive petrol is these days.
-
ElvisGaddafi
- Posts: 249
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Scotland
Re: Threatened with no overtime.
I've always refused to use my car but, as I understand it, if you do use your car it is only to take you to the start of your delivery with your first bag only, not to use as a 'postwagon' . So if your car is knackered with all the stopping and starting, and in and out, and carrying loads of weight in the boot, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.TheCobra wrote:Now we've gone to P&L I would never use my own car again. I used my own car for 3-4 months over the winter and my car isn't the newest, basically using it every day as a work car has severely erm 'weakened' it, it doesn't drive very well anymore.
I had to replace a starter motor and the gears are crunching from so many short trips and the reversing, general stopping and starting I did using it as a postwagon. Not to mention the weight of stuff I used to carry in the boot and how wrecked your seats get from getting in and out when you are piss wet through.
So in my view, using your own car is just a total mugs game, you are reducing the value of your car, putting hard miles on it and not even insured if someone does break into it. Oh and not forgetting how expensive petrol is these days.
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
-
TheCobra
- Posts: 249
- Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened with no overtime.
Easy to say when you don't know the in's and out's of what the round involved.ElvisGaddafi wrote:I've always refused to use my car but, as I understand it, if you do use your car it is only to take you to the start of your delivery with your first bag only, not to use as a 'postwagon' . So if your car is knackered with all the stopping and starting, and in and out, and carrying loads of weight in the boot, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.TheCobra wrote:Now we've gone to P&L I would never use my own car again. I used my own car for 3-4 months over the winter and my car isn't the newest, basically using it every day as a work car has severely erm 'weakened' it, it doesn't drive very well anymore.
I had to replace a starter motor and the gears are crunching from so many short trips and the reversing, general stopping and starting I did using it as a postwagon. Not to mention the weight of stuff I used to carry in the boot and how wrecked your seats get from getting in and out when you are piss wet through.
So in my view, using your own car is just a total mugs game, you are reducing the value of your car, putting hard miles on it and not even insured if someone does break into it. Oh and not forgetting how expensive petrol is these days.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Threatened with no overtime.
TheCobra wrote:Easy to say when you don't know the in's and out's of what the round involved.
The in's and out's involved exactly the same in's and out's of any other delivery.
There never was any need for anyone to use their own car other than the need to get finished early which as Elvis said is entirely your own choice/fault/blame/responsibility.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
ElvisGaddafi
- Posts: 249
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Scotland
Re: Threatened with no overtime.
I understand that if you are on a 20hr P/T contract you want to get some O/T but if you are going out with your car stuffed full of mail and packets it's only a matter of time before the s**t hits the fan. I may be wrong but it seems to me lately that the most expansive area of the business is security patrols. In the last year I have seen more security checks in the street than in the previous 15 years. I myself was stopped twice in the same week and asked to show my I.D etc. I also had to show that I was carrying all of my specials for the delivery and didn't have any in drop-bags. A driver in an adjacent office (with, I'm told, over 30 years experience was sacked because his van was not locked and contained mail), another guy was given a 2 year final written warning for something similar. Based on what I've seen, I'm pretty sure that if one of these patrols saw you getting out of your car and going off to deliver mail while leaving other mail and packets visible in the back/ passenger seat of your car, your feet wouldn't touch the ground. And the managers who told you that you could only have O/T if you used your own car will be conspicuous by their absence when you try to get any back up from them. As for your comment that I don't know the ins and outs of the round - I think I probably do mate.
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.