ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
No I in Team
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
Young or old is not a factor in whether or not somebody is a c*nt.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
Budfrog wrote: The Union should not even be talking about 100Bs as that workrate is usually achieved over a shift by stff on piecework or output related bonus. If the Union were to accept that type of target I would expect some very hefty payrise to be negotiated at the same time but would still question whether it is appropriate for a customer facing job like deliveries ... mail centre work is another argument.
The CWU has constantly said it does not accept 100BSI and has not agreed to 100BSI.
Unfortunately that's not a very helpful position out in the field when RM attempt to apply 100BSI and above or use unrealistic starting points for revisions based on bad practice.
There is a massive difference between not agree and oppose.
The very idea that BSI could be used at all in such a variable and frankly unmeasurable job as delivery work is ridiculous.
That is what should have been opposed,from day 1 because that has been the major contributing factor in the failure of delivery revisions.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
Its is so typical for people to be picky about a post instead of replying to the sentiment behind the message.
To the OP, your thread made perfect sense except that you added the younger/fitter and that will surely get you some sort of against treatment - rightfully so!
However, I am dreading the same sort of scenario you have highlighted. No one should have to work 'way' beyond what is necessary (and what is paid for) just to help a colleague. Certainly not on a consistent basis.
Something has to be done. Folks need to be tested and if they are not up to scratch then they have to be helped or let go. The job has changed - and we have been paid for the transition... The same should apply to newly employed staff that refuses to drive even though they have a licence - the new job requirements must have ability and willingness to drive as a mandatory... I hope it does!
Lastly, I also dread having to work with the speedy gonzalez of these wolrd, the short-cutters, the risk takers and the early early starters and no break postmen. They are just as bad!
To the OP, your thread made perfect sense except that you added the younger/fitter and that will surely get you some sort of against treatment - rightfully so!
However, I am dreading the same sort of scenario you have highlighted. No one should have to work 'way' beyond what is necessary (and what is paid for) just to help a colleague. Certainly not on a consistent basis.
Something has to be done. Folks need to be tested and if they are not up to scratch then they have to be helped or let go. The job has changed - and we have been paid for the transition... The same should apply to newly employed staff that refuses to drive even though they have a licence - the new job requirements must have ability and willingness to drive as a mandatory... I hope it does!
Lastly, I also dread having to work with the speedy gonzalez of these wolrd, the short-cutters, the risk takers and the early early starters and no break postmen. They are just as bad!
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
With so much dread, is this really the job for you? As for testing old people to see if they are capable of doing the jobchrisj wrote:Its is so typical for people to be picky about a post instead of replying to the sentiment behind the message.
To the OP, your thread made perfect sense except that you added the younger/fitter and that will surely get you some sort of against treatment - rightfully so!
However, I am dreading the same sort of scenario you have highlighted. No one should have to work 'way' beyond what is necessary (and what is paid for) just to help a colleague. Certainly not on a consistent basis.
Something has to be done. Folks need to be tested and if they are not up to scratch then they have to be helped or let go. The job has changed - and we have been paid for the transition... The same should apply to newly employed staff that refuses to drive even though they have a licence - the new job requirements must have ability and willingness to drive as a mandatory... I hope it does!
Lastly, I also dread having to work with the speedy gonzalez of these wolrd, the short-cutters, the risk takers and the early early starters and no break postmen. They are just as bad!
I have never dreaded going to work - regardless of whatever colleagues or managers do or say I relish the thought of daily confrontation
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
You relish the thought of daily confrontation - really? Well, each to their own.
There we go again, picking on the words of the post not the post itself. Yes, am dreading things and cacking my pants and wishing not to go to work and confront my colleagues and have a right go at them, especially the elderly ones and young upstarts. Wow! I think I better go and see my shrink before the P&L starts.
I never said, older postmen should be tested. Some younger ones are also slow and/or badly organised and since it is a team job, badly organised postman or one that brings complaint from customers will land the pair in the same trouble.
People need to be tested; and make sure they are able to carry out their duty as proscribed.
It is only FAIR!
There we go again, picking on the words of the post not the post itself. Yes, am dreading things and cacking my pants and wishing not to go to work and confront my colleagues and have a right go at them, especially the elderly ones and young upstarts. Wow! I think I better go and see my shrink before the P&L starts.
I never said, older postmen should be tested. Some younger ones are also slow and/or badly organised and since it is a team job, badly organised postman or one that brings complaint from customers will land the pair in the same trouble.
People need to be tested; and make sure they are able to carry out their duty as proscribed.
-
newtimes
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 595
- Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
"People need to be tested; and make sure they are able to carry out their duty as proscribed.
It is only FAIR!"
I was always told life is not fair, if people are going to be "tested" then should the playing field be level. How many "rules" does RM ignore.
How can you be "fairly tested" on a duty when in real-life its not "fair". What's the point of taking a faulty car to get a MOT, fix the car then it will pass the MOT.
I was always told life is not fair, if people are going to be "tested" then should the playing field be level. How many "rules" does RM ignore.
How can you be "fairly tested" on a duty when in real-life its not "fair". What's the point of taking a faulty car to get a MOT, fix the car then it will pass the MOT.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
Yes confrontation is good.
I think you have an idealised opinion that there should be a "standard" and that everyone should conform to that - however who is to decide exactly what that standard should be - you? There are many diverse abilities which do not involve speed - accuracy is also important, the use of the equipment provided and more. As for making people drive.......................certainly providing they pay for that ability, as they once did, otherwise why should you? There are many more pitfalls for someone who drives for RM than those who either cannot or will not. I personally do not and have never driven for RM unless you count using my own vehicle when I was delivering so that I could get home early etc.
I think you have an idealised opinion that there should be a "standard" and that everyone should conform to that - however who is to decide exactly what that standard should be - you? There are many diverse abilities which do not involve speed - accuracy is also important, the use of the equipment provided and more. As for making people drive.......................certainly providing they pay for that ability, as they once did, otherwise why should you? There are many more pitfalls for someone who drives for RM than those who either cannot or will not. I personally do not and have never driven for RM unless you count using my own vehicle when I was delivering so that I could get home early etc.
-
Straight4ward
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1621
- Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
No one should have to work 'way' beyond what is necessary (and what is paid for) just to help a colleague.
Its amazing how some folks don't realise that that we should all work as a team; and that sometimes we have to go the extra mile for the sake of the office
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16736
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: No I in Team
The fat ones will have a lot to fear.chrisj wrote:
People need to be tested; and make sure they are able to carry out their duty as proscribed.It is only FAIR!
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
Straight4ward wrote:No one should have to work 'way' beyond what is necessary (and what is paid for) just to help a colleague.Its amazing how some folks don't realise that that we should all work as a team; and that sometimes we have to go the extra mile for the sake of the office
You can do better than that!
The clue is on doing it for the sake of the office not just a slow individual and certainly not 'way' beyond simply doing more work or additional loop if the colleague is in some difficulty or for the sake of simply finishing on time.
The OP was clear clear in that he was working much much harder to cover what appears to be an inefficient colleague. Simples!
-
Straight4ward
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1621
- Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
I don't have to do better than that, they're your words not mine.
Keep digging.
Keep digging.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: No I in Team
Rule number 1 in Zombieland.................cardioclashcityrocker wrote:The fat ones will have a lot to fear.chrisj wrote:
People need to be tested; and make sure they are able to carry out their duty as proscribed.It is only FAIR!
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
BoltonPostie
- Posts: 328
- Joined: 09 Jul 2007, 17:20
- Gender: Male
- Location: Up s**t creek.
Re: No I in Team
Maybe somebody should test you Chris regularily for illegal substances. 
The grabbing hands
Grab all they can
All for themselves
After all
Grab all they can
All for themselves
After all
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
Maybe a sign over the gate, "Arbeit Macht Frei", with a convenient disposal system round the back - dual purpose for the excess D2D 
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: No I in Team
What is a post if it isn't words?chrisj wrote:There we go again, picking on the words of the post not the post itself.
The overriding sentiment that comes from your posts chris...is fear.
Fear that nobody will recognise your valiant efforts at showing gratitude to your employer and going that extra mile,fear that the incumbent system of seniority over subservient ambition will render all of your hard work fruitless.
Fear that at the end of the day no-one gives a rat's arse how hard you work,how many hours overtime you work or whether you bring an apple in for the boss every day.
You're right...nobody cares.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share