ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Part Timers Being Shafted

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Strong bull wrote:And before anyone bleats on about you knew it was a PT job when you joined I was told at the interview that I would get made up to FT after a year. I started 10 years ago and still i am on a 25 hr contract .
How many PT have higher seniority than you? If there any any PT with more seniority than you, they'll be made up to FT (or at least an increase on hours) before you
smok3y666
Posts: 754
Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by smok3y666 »

I never understand why Part Timers and I was one myself, come to RM on a PT contract expecting to or hoping to be made up to full time and then moan when they don't? And moan when everyone else gets the OT becuase they need the money. I understand you "need the money" but then you shouldn't have taken the job PT and had any hope of getting FT hours. I'm sure when I left PF FT and came to RM PT nowehere in the job description did it say anything about a glimmer of hope of maybe one day being FT, I just got lucky and our rep is half decent.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by Woody Guthrie »

nowehere in the job description did it say anything about a glimmer of hope of maybe one day being FT
It was a thing for many years, being promised full-time at the interview by whatever clown was doing it. We know that because the new PT staff would turn up at the DO asking whether they would be full-time next week and which one was their duty.

Because of the long waiting time some of these guys knocked back other full-time jobs in the meantime which is of course exactly why RM told them the lie in the first place.
Only dead fish follow the current
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by Jamesfr3man »

smok3y666 wrote:I never understand why Part Timers and I was one myself, come to RM on a PT contract expecting to or hoping to be made up to full time and then moan when they don't? And moan when everyone else gets the OT becuase they need the money. I understand you "need the money" but then you shouldn't have taken the job PT and had any hope of getting FT hours. I'm sure when I left PF FT and came to RM PT nowehere in the job description did it say anything about a glimmer of hope of maybe one day being FT, I just got lucky and our rep is half decent.
As stated in my previous post and by others in this thread, the only positions available when applying for a job with RM from the outside is P/T. It is impossible to get a F/T contract from the get go. If you wanna be a postal worker its P/T or nothing. You then get told by the chaps doing the interview and by other members of staff that you can be "made up" to full time after you've done so many years. We now know this is a lie, F/T posties are retiring and RM are hiring P/T to fill the gaps because we do exactly the same job only cheaper! It's that simple. We put the time in and get nothing back.
maisymoo04 wrote:
Strong bull wrote:
Jamesfr3man wrote:
maisymoo04 wrote:
HTPostman wrote:I feel for you, you’re getting a raw deal. I am also doing 1 while 6 however it’s through choice. I believe however RM have to give notice to change your start time, so they can’t just ring up at 11.30 and ask you to come in now. It will be in your contract.

When I mention how unfair it is that all PT staff are starting at 1pm to a FT member of staff I’m told ‘we’ve all had to do it and work our way up’ which is a load of rubbish, I don’t ever remember in years gone by postmen being made/asked to do 1pm till 6pm.

And like you say we then get the usual ‘you’re late today’ and ‘did you sleep in’ from the public, day after day.

What I’m about to say will be unpopular but if ever Rico wanted a bigger no vote next time the union ballot for strike action, all he’d have to do is target the part timers and dangle a few carrots in that direction because a lot are fed up. There’s the same staff coming back from their rounds at 12.30 and getting paid till 3, there’s the same tracked parcels for that block of flats on the round next to yours that somehow ends up on your frame all so Billy Bob doesn’t have to go up the stairs and can save 2 minutes.

It would be amazing if we just worked together, stopped trying to shaft each other (leave that to managers).
WORK TOGETHER ??
having a laff arnt ye the part timers don't give a sh@@ in our office look after themselves all time . fast enough putting there hand up (CAN I COME IN EARLY PLEASE BOSS ) its the P/T that our destroying the job always said this. No when you all went for the job interview did it say P/T ??? so stop moaning if its not PRO ROTA its DELIVERY PAYMENT list goes on :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :chuckle
Just a heads up but RM aren't employing F/T workers from the get go like they used to, only P/T positions. I took this job as a P/T with the vain hope of maybe being made up to full hours but now I'm trapped with the current job market, we all have bills to pay and a P/T job isn't enough so we have to rely on O/T to make up our wages. And with RM not making staff F/T what choice to we have? What frustrates me among everything else is how F/T get paid a full wage and only work half most of the time and then they scoop up all the S/A and other O/T work becasue they've finished early and we don't even get a look in. They complain about US not doing the job properly or "its the P/T that our destroying the job" all the while they finish early, don't take all their O/S, absorption or tracked and we're loaded with it, in some cases I deliver more parcels and letters in a day for less money and in a shorter time than my F/T counter parts, and WE are the problem? Grow up...
The most sensible and truthful post I've read on here in ages. Agree 100% . We have F/T was who manage to come in early, snap up all the SA and late packets as well as working pretty much every day off(and moan like he'll if they cant) however P/T workers don't get a look in unless the DOM is absolutely desperate.

And before anyone bleats on about you knew it was a PT job when you joined I was told at the interview that I would get made up to FT after a year. I started 10 years ago and still i am on a 25 hr contract .
jamesfr3man and strongbull me heart bleeds for you both :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :cuppa :cuppa


All you F/T w**kers who joined straight out of school or saw an ad in the paper when the job economy was bountiful, rode your bikes and did f*** all, no parcels, no oversized, took your time and coasted for decades, finished early, went down the pub or had another job going, all like to complain about us. This job was the bol*ocks back in the day and you know it. All we want is to be treated equally and fairly and have the same opportunities as you guys. I'm surprised the union haven't caught on to this or done something about it. Currently in our office we have 4 P/T staff starting at 1:00pm and are unable to take S/A as we now finish too late in the day and 4 agency workers doing absorption's and prepping frames, all the while our F/T counter parts finish before their duty time and p*ss off home. If all or even half of our of P/T staff were made up, agency workers wouldn't be needed to prep frames and more work could be done and we could be earning a real living wage.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by aiden01 »

Work in an mc mate not far short of ft time but calling people w--kers wont get your point across.infact you will probably get more abuse.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by clashcityrocker »

smok3y666 wrote:...... nowehere in the job description did it say anything about a glimmer of hope of maybe one day being FT, I just got lucky and our rep is half decent.
Well it is actually in black and white in the 4 Pillows agreement:

Four Pillars of Security and Pay National Agreement

This agreement has been reached within the spirit and principles of the Agenda for Growth, Stability and Long Term Success Agreement and its Legally Binding Contract.


8. Resourcing In Line with Current Agreements Both parties agree that the aims, principles and detail contained in our agreements and recent Joint Statements will be re-affirmed and fully applied.
Both parties will re-affirm that they will deploy legally binding commitments to part-time workers and the use of agency workers.

In respect of part-time workers the following will apply with immediate effect:
It is agreed that part-time workers in Royal Mail Group provide an excellent and efficient contribution to the operation when they perform extra hours above their contracted hours. It is equally recognised that some part-time workers wish to extend their contractual hours whilst others prefer to perform extra hours when they wish to.

It is apparent that while some colleagues have secured additional conditioned hours and also converted to full time employment there is more that can be done to reflect a part-time worker’s regular commitment to additional hours (should they wish it). This means, in line with our agreements, and where justified, we should focus on moving to full-time, or increasing contractual hours below full-time either on a temporary or permanent variation of contract.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
smok3y666
Posts: 754
Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by smok3y666 »

clashcityrocker wrote:
smok3y666 wrote:...... nowehere in the job description did it say anything about a glimmer of hope of maybe one day being FT, I just got lucky and our rep is half decent.
Well it is actually in black and white in the 4 Pillows agreement:

Four Pillars of Security and Pay National Agreement

This agreement has been reached within the spirit and principles of the Agenda for Growth, Stability and Long Term Success Agreement and its Legally Binding Contract.


8. Resourcing In Line with Current Agreements Both parties agree that the aims, principles and detail contained in our agreements and recent Joint Statements will be re-affirmed and fully applied.
Both parties will re-affirm that they will deploy legally binding commitments to part-time workers and the use of agency workers.

In respect of part-time workers the following will apply with immediate effect:
It is agreed that part-time workers in Royal Mail Group provide an excellent and efficient contribution to the operation when they perform extra hours above their contracted hours. It is equally recognised that some part-time workers wish to extend their contractual hours whilst others prefer to perform extra hours when they wish to.

It is apparent that while some colleagues have secured additional conditioned hours and also converted to full time employment there is more that can be done to reflect a part-time worker’s regular commitment to additional hours (should they wish it). This means, in line with our agreements, and where justified, we should focus on moving to full-time, or increasing contractual hours below full-time either on a temporary or permanent variation of contract.
And where is the 4 pillars agreement now? Exactly. And do they quote the above in the job description? I don't think so. It's quite clear and specific when a job is advertised how many hours it is for.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by maisymoo04 »

Jamesfr3man wrote:
smok3y666 wrote:I never understand why Part Timers and I was one myself, come to RM on a PT contract expecting to or hoping to be made up to full time and then moan when they don't? And moan when everyone else gets the OT becuase they need the money. I understand you "need the money" but then you shouldn't have taken the job PT and had any hope of getting FT hours. I'm sure when I left PF FT and came to RM PT nowehere in the job description did it say anything about a glimmer of hope of maybe one day being FT, I just got lucky and our rep is half decent.
As stated in my previous post and by others in this thread, the only positions available when applying for a job with RM from the outside is P/T. It is impossible to get a F/T contract from the get go. If you wanna be a postal worker its P/T or nothing. You then get told by the chaps doing the interview and by other members of staff that you can be "made up" to full time after you've done so many years. We now know this is a lie, F/T posties are retiring and RM are hiring P/T to fill the gaps because we do exactly the same job only cheaper! It's that simple. We put the time in and get nothing back.
maisymoo04 wrote:
Strong bull wrote:
Jamesfr3man wrote:
maisymoo04 wrote:
HTPostman wrote:I feel for you, you’re getting a raw deal. I am also doing 1 while 6 however it’s through choice. I believe however RM have to give notice to change your start time, so they can’t just ring up at 11.30 and ask you to come in now. It will be in your contract.

When I mention how unfair it is that all PT staff are starting at 1pm to a FT member of staff I’m told ‘we’ve all had to do it and work our way up’ which is a load of rubbish, I don’t ever remember in years gone by postmen being made/asked to do 1pm till 6pm.

And like you say we then get the usual ‘you’re late today’ and ‘did you sleep in’ from the public, day after day.

What I’m about to say will be unpopular but if ever Rico wanted a bigger no vote next time the union ballot for strike action, all he’d have to do is target the part timers and dangle a few carrots in that direction because a lot are fed up. There’s the same staff coming back from their rounds at 12.30 and getting paid till 3, there’s the same tracked parcels for that block of flats on the round next to yours that somehow ends up on your frame all so Billy Bob doesn’t have to go up the stairs and can save 2 minutes.

It would be amazing if we just worked together, stopped trying to shaft each other (leave that to managers).
WORK TOGETHER ??
having a laff arnt ye the part timers don't give a sh@@ in our office look after themselves all time . fast enough putting there hand up (CAN I COME IN EARLY PLEASE BOSS ) its the P/T that our destroying the job always said this. No when you all went for the job interview did it say P/T ??? so stop moaning if its not PRO ROTA its DELIVERY PAYMENT list goes on :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :chuckle
Just a heads up but RM aren't employing F/T workers from the get go like they used to, only P/T positions. I took this job as a P/T with the vain hope of maybe being made up to full hours but now I'm trapped with the current job market, we all have bills to pay and a P/T job isn't enough so we have to rely on O/T to make up our wages. And with RM not making staff F/T what choice to we have? What frustrates me among everything else is how F/T get paid a full wage and only work half most of the time and then they scoop up all the S/A and other O/T work becasue they've finished early and we don't even get a look in. They complain about US not doing the job properly or "its the P/T that our destroying the job" all the while they finish early, don't take all their O/S, absorption or tracked and we're loaded with it, in some cases I deliver more parcels and letters in a day for less money and in a shorter time than my F/T counter parts, and WE are the problem? Grow up...
The most sensible and truthful post I've read on here in ages. Agree 100% . We have F/T was who manage to come in early, snap up all the SA and late packets as well as working pretty much every day off(and moan like he'll if they cant) however P/T workers don't get a look in unless the DOM is absolutely desperate.

And before anyone bleats on about you knew it was a PT job when you joined I was told at the interview that I would get made up to FT after a year. I started 10 years ago and still i am on a 25 hr contract .
jamesfr3man and strongbull me heart bleeds for you both :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :cuppa :cuppa


All you F/T w**kers who joined straight out of school or saw an ad in the paper when the job economy was bountiful, rode your bikes and did f*** all, no parcels, no oversized, took your time and coasted for decades, finished early, went down the pub or had another job going, all like to complain about us. This job was the bol*ocks back in the day and you know it. All we want is to be treated equally and fairly and have the same opportunities as you guys. I'm surprised the union haven't caught on to this or done something about it. Currently in our office we have 4 P/T staff starting at 1:00pm and are unable to take S/A as we now finish too late in the day and 4 agency workers doing absorption's and prepping frames, all the while our F/T counter parts finish before their duty time and p*ss off home. If all or even half of our of P/T staff were made up, agency workers wouldn't be needed to prep frames and more work could be done and we could be earning a real living wage.
PITTY you wont be full time then isn't it :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :cuppa :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo!
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by Route1 »

Jamesfr3man wrote:Hi all, just wanted to ask some questions and blow off some steam about our current office rules. I'm a part timer on a 25 hour contract including enquiry office work on Sundays, obviously due to whats going on I've been having Sundays off along with Tuesdays as my rest days. My question is about our working times, due to the fact we can no longer share vans I have to wait until one is available, I'm usually called between 11:30 and 1:30 to come in. My problem is that although I'm a part timer I'm basically "on call" all morning waiting for a van. On some of the more heavier days I have to wait around till 1:30 and then still prep my work ,complete my duty and absorption in under 4 hours including my break! Yesterday I started at 2:00! and finished a 6:30! What postman is delivering mail at ******* 6:30? Its impossible and its starting to get to me, was wondering if this is all kosher? I've also been told that due to the fact my contract states my hours include Sunday I'll have to go out on delivery this Sunday. Again is that ok? I feel like I'm being shafted. :cry
Apparently this two tier workflow was mentioned by the dom when it all started but the union rep told the dom not even go there as noone wants it because ITS A VOLUNTARILY change of start time. We've essentially carried on as park & loop except the passenger walks everywhere. We have two or three guys that are starting one hour later by choice.

We've also not been lapsing since March. With the passenger having to walk everywhere, everything takes longer. But I have found I am finishing on or earlier than my time than before the virus. Letters are down, most weeks one of the two walks doesnt get a d2d & even though parcels have increased 35+% most ppl have been in. We also dont take d2d for closes unless it has a letter for the top floor or if we got mail for a front door.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by SpacePhoenix »

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out now with the government encouraging more people to return to work, so potentially less people in to receive their parcels
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by Cucumber »

The biggest problem I can foresee is that the vast majority of offices have gone into these new ways of working as if it is a few weeks of disruption. Like a slightly longer Xmas pressure.

Senior management are being paid vast amounts of money to MANAGE and staying silent as offices are struggling day after day after day..

I think we can all agree that the job will never be the same.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by clashcityrocker »

There are 2 types of leader:
Baboons who grab power for the sake of it and feather their own nest and elephants who rule for the benefit of the herd.
There are too many baboons in the CWU.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by Murdoch »

smok3y666 wrote:I never understand why Part Timers and I was one myself, come to RM on a PT contract expecting to or hoping to be made up to full time and then moan when they don't? And moan when everyone else gets the OT becuase they need the money. I understand you "need the money" but then you shouldn't have taken the job PT and had any hope of getting FT hours. I'm sure when I left PF FT and came to RM PT nowehere in the job description did it say anything about a glimmer of hope of maybe one day being FT, I just got lucky and our rep is half decent.
A lot of people first get in the door via agency. Most of the agency jobs advertise as full-time or upto full-time, and explicitly express that there may be opportunities for a permanent position.

Only later do they find out those permanent opportunities are a 5 hour contract with Royal Mail.
smok3y666
Posts: 754
Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by smok3y666 »

Murdoch wrote:
smok3y666 wrote:I never understand why Part Timers and I was one myself, come to RM on a PT contract expecting to or hoping to be made up to full time and then moan when they don't? And moan when everyone else gets the OT becuase they need the money. I understand you "need the money" but then you shouldn't have taken the job PT and had any hope of getting FT hours. I'm sure when I left PF FT and came to RM PT nowehere in the job description did it say anything about a glimmer of hope of maybe one day being FT, I just got lucky and our rep is half decent.
A lot of people first get in the door via agency. Most of the agency jobs advertise as full-time or upto full-time, and explicitly express that there may be opportunities for a permanent position.

Only later do they find out those permanent opportunities are a 5 hour contract with Royal Mail.
Upto full time is like saying my broadband is upto 200mb and the key words in the last sentence are "MAY BE". One of the questions I always asked and wanted to know and I presume most others do are what are the hours? Are you suggesting that most people blindly walk in not knowing? If I saw a job being advertised as upto full time and possibly perm first thing I'd want to know is guaranteed min hours and what kind of chance if there of perm position? Most part timers on here like most of the ones I work with presume they're going to get non guaranteed overtime everyweek and then moan when they don't get it because they need the money.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

Don’t forget the part timers who don’t want overtime as well, even they get s**t for telling management no thanks I will just do my hours, none of them can win.