ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The Mail is down

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by ssdd »

Photo_talks_1583187913721.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Celgar »

Three letters and four letters - DSA & GDPR - are the main reasons why we are in the mess we are in now.
Without these stamps would cost a lot less and we would have a lot more to deliver and there would probably be more jobs.
Instead of sorting these two problems though it is far easier for Rico to kick us in the face.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Dingo99
Posts: 122
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 14:04
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Dingo99 »

Bullshitte in my office, the only good days are Tuesday's and occasionally Firday's (lapsing aside), on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and even some Saturdays I am coming close to needing two HCT2s and losing 30-40 minutes if I do by walking back to D.O to load up second half. Seriously I cannot believe mail is down judging by my D.O!
Hitcher
Posts: 1534
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Hitcher »

Celgar wrote:Three letters and four letters - DSA & GDPR - are the main reasons why we are in the mess we are in now.
Without these stamps would cost a lot less and we would have a lot more to deliver and there would probably be more jobs.
Instead of sorting these two problems though it is far easier for Rico to kick us in the face.
I don't know why Rico doesn't give Boris a ring and ask to change this now we're no longer in the EU and can undo the deregulation.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by cpsteve »

Dingo99 wrote:Bullshitte in my office, the only good days are Tuesday's and occasionally Firday's (lapsing aside), on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and even some Saturdays I am coming close to needing two HCT2s and losing 30-40 minutes if I do by walking back to D.O to load up second half. Seriously I cannot believe mail is down judging by my D.O!
Thats good it means they have no savings to make in your office mine has close to 100 hours according to pda data but thats management talk.
exetererica
Posts: 152
Joined: 07 Nov 2010, 11:21
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by exetererica »

.
Last edited by exetererica on 20 Apr 2020, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by SpacePhoenix »

exetererica wrote:Mail volumes are not down. My bags are the same weight as always.

It's RM propaganda, tell us enough times and we'll start to believe it
Letter and flat volumes are down, easily seen with the drop in staffing levels for them sections in MCs (and the fact that MCs with FSMs whack whatever they can through them). Parcels have gone up
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Dorset Plodder »

We have to remember that there are nearly a 1000 Delivery Offices across the Country. No two are the same. Royal Mail likes to quote "Average" statistics... so some are going to be Low & Some Higher. I personally believe some areas must be having a much easier time than others, judging by the variety of comments .... "Every day like a Tuesday..." I wish. :pray

"THE MAIL IS DROPPING" is obviously a Mantra that's been passed down to all the management to keep repeating during this run up to IA, to try an convince the undecided that they're lucky to still have a job, and not to rock the boat. It's pathetic. :no no It made the Reserve manager that mentioned it earlier this week look an even bigger idiot than he already is...... because we've just had a Very Heavy Week. :crazy:

We get Traffic Figures quoted coming into the DO, and they're often used to Bully Posties into taking lapsing, or reasons for not paying OT. :no no I've mentioned to the DOM that they are only an "Average" across the DO..... you don't know how much mail a particular duty has. They can Walk Assign Specials, Tracked & Meched Letters but apart from that they're still guessing. We've got a few duties that are well light ("The Chosen Few" who are always in the office moaning), and we've got a few more that are Monsters.... but the Duty Holders are generally Quiet, Unassuming Posties that get on with the job, so they get more work piled on. :no no

I don't think anyone in my DO actually believes the job is getting easier... Whatever figures Management choose to quote! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Ren Hoëk »

The mail may be down but if I still have to take 1 letter to each house it will still take the same time to walk it as if they had 3 or 4 slices. The only time saved will be on throwing it off.

Also, Iv been at the same DO for a good few years now and the mail volumes are exactly the same as when I started there. Some weeks light some weeks heavy but on average EXACTLY the same. More packets though! The only way any of the walks are achievable is because the DOM has D2D's thrown in for us, early IPS with much of it done by himself, Early starters and meal break skippers. All hidden time from his bosses!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Ren Hoëk wrote: The only way any of the walks are achievable is because the DOM has D2D's thrown in for us, early IPS with much of it done by himself, Early starters and meal break skippers. All hidden time from his bosses!
It's all in the "DOMs Little Book of Dirty Tricks" RH. I'm sure they get given a copy when they become managers. We have a big problem with Posties throwing of households in their own time. Either Saturday before they go home, of coming in early before their Duty start time. :arrrghhh No matter how many times you tell them that they're giving Royal Mail FREE work .... they still keep doing it! :arrrghhh

The most popular reasom is, "I need to come in early and do this so that I can get home earlier, because my walk is so big".... It's explained to them that they are making a Rod for their own Back, because they're making their Walk appear do-able. If it's too big use the over-running procedure ... but a lot of Posties can't face the hassle of arguing with the DOM. :sad:

I throw off 20% of households per day Before I start to throw off the mail (apart from Saturday). I record this and it's often 1 -1/2 hours a week (depending on how many contracts). I showed this to one of the guys (who throws them off in his own time on Saturday). :arrrghhh I asked him how much he was paid for Prepping his Households? He said, "£25.66 the same as everyone else" I said "I'm paid nearly £40 for mine" :thumbup ... and explained that I threw them of while being paid 1-1 1/2 hoursto do it ..... The Point was lost on him... he couldn't see it, and this is a Postie that says he needs the OT to make as much money as he can. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Zicomurphy
Posts: 579
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Zicomurphy »

Compare the job now to 10 years ago

Mail volumes may be down but to counteract that

I would say call rates are similar
Walks are much larger with many more delivery points
We have to deliver all large packets which used to be delivered by a separate duty
D2D is now built into workload
Parcels have increased by a large amount. Most of them have to be scanned now too. More time spent trying delivery to neighbour or writing p739s
Later start and finish times meaning having to stop what you doing and make sure you deliver any specials for the later part of your walk by 1pm before driving back and resuming normal delivery.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

The Mail is down

Post by k979aaa »

Another excuse for lapsing which equals a bonus for said manager in time tell him to do one as packets take longer to do!
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Ren Hoëk »

Zicomurphy wrote:Compare the job now to 10 years ago

Mail volumes may be down but to counteract that

I would say call rates are similar
Walks are much larger with many more delivery points
We have to deliver all large packets which used to be delivered by a separate duty
D2D is now built into workload
Parcels have increased by a large amount. Most of them have to be scanned now too. More time spent trying delivery to neighbour or writing p739s
Later start and finish times meaning having to stop what you doing and make sure you deliver any specials for the later part of your walk by 1pm before driving back and resuming normal delivery.
You forgot to mention reduced staffing levels as well!
Deadly
Posts: 703
Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by Deadly »

Ren Hoëk wrote:
Zicomurphy wrote:Compare the job now to 10 years ago

Mail volumes may be down but to counteract that

I would say call rates are similar
Walks are much larger with many more delivery points
We have to deliver all large packets which used to be delivered by a separate duty
D2D is now built into workload
Parcels have increased by a large amount. Most of them have to be scanned now too. More time spent trying delivery to neighbour or writing p739s
Later start and finish times meaning having to stop what you doing and make sure you deliver any specials for the later part of your walk by 1pm before driving back and resuming normal delivery.
You forgot to mention reduced staffing levels as well!
Plus C.O.D.
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

The Mail is down

Post by masterblaster »

Warriorpostie wrote:I’ve been with the company over ten years now, from the first week I started I’ve been hearing this phrase “the Mail is down” letters are on the decline etc... still every week 4-5 days a week we get hammered with letter volumes, flats, junk mail etc.... who does Royal Mail think they are kidding with the latest propaganda? :cuppa
Our mail volume is UP in our office - due to the fact the number of delivery points have increased by 100% over the past 5 years.