ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
This job is killing me
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2039
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
This job is killing me
My walk today from start to finish was just over 33,000 steps & that was with giving the normal Wed/Thurs/Fri 2 loops away, I had a young lad with me last week lasted 2 days in RM boots, he’s brought is own walking trainers since.
-
matt_1983
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 08:39
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
How did you record your steps? Ive noticed there can be huge differences between different step measuring devices eg iphone or fitbittwoloops wrote:My walk today from start to finish was just over 33,000 steps & that was with giving the normal Wed/Thurs/Fri 2 loops away, I had a young lad with me last week lasted 2 days in RM boots, he’s brought is own walking trainers since.
-
blacov
- Posts: 397
- Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
Well I did HCT walk today around 9-10miles + stairs. Pretty heavy and I am not gonna lie I felt it a little especially that I haven't done trolley walk in a while. I got rid of the pain in 20min literally. Roller, deep tissue self massage (calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower back) then stretching. Feels like I had a day off. If hurts a bit (its killing if you dont do it at all) but it certainly takes the pain away)
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
Finished at 2pm. If only!norris9 wrote:I'm not even an older Postman. I am in my 30's.![]()
Out on the round I generally don't feel that bad. I feel the odd twinge of pain and walking up stairs is exhausting, but I don't feel that I can't finish a round - I can easily finish the round....
It's more when I am at rest that I notice the exhaustion. My legs burn and seem to always be in a state of recovery, but I guess they never recover and therefore need longer to recover, (maybe several weeks!)..........And then I crash by 7.30pm, falling asleep....
I suppose the normal working day for the typical British employee is a 5.30pm finish, therefore they will have 5 hours left of the day before it gets to 10.30pm when they might think of going to bed. Us Posties are finished at around 2pm and therefore 5 hours after work is 7.30pm. Therefore, in that sense, feeling tired at 7.30pm, especially in a physical job like this, I would assume is quite typical?
I just hate going to bed that early. I think some Posties go home and have a nap for a couple of hours and then stay up later. I might try the same thing. How many of you guys/girls take a nap shortly after you get home from work?
-
midegarelu
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 414
- Joined: 12 Sep 2009, 07:09
- Gender: Male
- Location: somewhere over the rainbow
This job is killing me
Not the discs needing water, more likely the Kidneys needing water.Coinbags wrote:Could be dehydration.
I used to get a really aching back - started drinking 5 pints of water a day and backache gone.
stopped for a while - bad back again.
Returned to the 5 pints of water and back ache gone - reckon the discs needed the water.Have you looked at diet - not enough iron ?
If you are getting enough iron - are you getting enough vitamin C - Iron needs vitamin C.
A fella in his 30's shouldn't find it that tough.
All the Best
If this persists you may need to see your Doctor.
"We employ you so we can sack you"
-
fatmike
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 27 May 2011, 14:52
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
I'm also in my 30s, but find myself falling asleep around 8 - 8.30pm (I wake up around 5.30 on a work day).
I mostly do HCT jobs, and 10 - 12 miles is common most days. I do sport (football and running) about three times a week as well. I have been to the doctor in the past and had quite a few tests done, but they concluded that I probably just need the sleep because I have such an active lifestyle. I've always needed a lot of sleep, even before this job, so I guess some of us are just different. I don't understand how so many of my colleagues can stay awake until 10 - 11pm, but it's nice to know I'm not alone!
I'd go with the previous advice of keeping well hydrated, and don't be afraid to have an afternoon nap if you feel like it. Sometimes the body just needs a catch up.
I also take protein shakes on days of heavy exercise - the protein can aid muscle recovery and leave your limbs aching less.
I mostly do HCT jobs, and 10 - 12 miles is common most days. I do sport (football and running) about three times a week as well. I have been to the doctor in the past and had quite a few tests done, but they concluded that I probably just need the sleep because I have such an active lifestyle. I've always needed a lot of sleep, even before this job, so I guess some of us are just different. I don't understand how so many of my colleagues can stay awake until 10 - 11pm, but it's nice to know I'm not alone!
I'd go with the previous advice of keeping well hydrated, and don't be afraid to have an afternoon nap if you feel like it. Sometimes the body just needs a catch up.
I also take protein shakes on days of heavy exercise - the protein can aid muscle recovery and leave your limbs aching less.
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
This job is killing me
Comfortable shoes are also an important factor in feet/legs/body pain, I know from experience.
I`m buying my own trainers from Sports Direct every 3-4 months, it`s worth paying £30 or less for the wellbeing of my poor feet and to not be in pain all the time.
Your Gp will definately give you a note for your manager about wearing your own shoes for medical reasons.
Also thick socks helps too, soaking feet in warm water with bath salts after work, a bit of massage and a cream works wonders.
I have a weak coffee around 3-4 pm and that keeps me awake until 10-11 pm when I go to bed, I take naps mostly at weekend.
I`m buying my own trainers from Sports Direct every 3-4 months, it`s worth paying £30 or less for the wellbeing of my poor feet and to not be in pain all the time.
Your Gp will definately give you a note for your manager about wearing your own shoes for medical reasons.
Also thick socks helps too, soaking feet in warm water with bath salts after work, a bit of massage and a cream works wonders.
I have a weak coffee around 3-4 pm and that keeps me awake until 10-11 pm when I go to bed, I take naps mostly at weekend.
-
glass joe
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 16:59
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
Buy second hand trainers on ebay you can get 100 quid trainers that have been used 10% for 20-30 quid.
-
deltaforce
- Posts: 778
- Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
And probably get yourself a foot fungal infection to boot.glass joe wrote:Buy second hand trainers on ebay you can get 100 quid trainers that have been used 10% for 20-30 quid.
-
glass joe
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 16:59
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
Not happened with me for 5 years of doing it, use a washing machine no different for 2nd hand clothes.
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
This job is killing me
Why buy second hand when you can buy a new pair of Reebok, Nike or other good brand for £30 or less?
Sports Direct always has sales, everytime I need a new pair I find it there.
Sports Direct always has sales, everytime I need a new pair I find it there.
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
I use to ache and was tired when started 12-13 years ago 0500 starts was always tired. Now il ache from running on a Sunday but my round is easy enough. I think you get use to it but a little gym work build up some strength and conditioning definitely makes the endurance side of the job much easier. Drinking beers every night definitely use to make me ache more at work but barely drink now. Cant believe how early some of you finish, me it’s 1500 or a long day 1545.
-
polar bear
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 31 May 2012, 13:06
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
I worked a backshift. Wasn’t so bad in my initial office but when I moved offices I was so tired when I finished I didn’t want to do anything. Missed out on so many social events just because of tiredness. Maybe it’s an office thing though never felt that in my first office.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
I thought I liked the job. But after being off for 2 months I'm dreading going back in. I don't feel tired no more I've got a better relationship with my son because I want falling asleep. I just feel healthier and happier. When I do finally go back I'll be doing no more rushing about and taking it easier.
-
polar bear
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 31 May 2012, 13:06
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
I basically wasted the last year of my life being totally exhausted 24/7 . If I wasn’t at work I was in my bed. Lucky if I went to a handful of social events. It’s not worth it.