ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Job and finish

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ArthurPewty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by ArthurPewty »

They might be monitoring it to get the average total amount of hours they finish early and will then take those hours out of the office[/quote]

They've been told time & again that they're shooting themselves in the foot, but won't listen!
There's going to be an almighty shake-up one day in the DO and they wont know what's hit them when it comes.
Fairly rare that the office isn't cleared, so maybe it is a case from Area that if it ain't broke do'n't fix it, nothing to see there... :whistle ?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by Celgar »

No one should have a problem with working all their duty time. It is RMs responsibility to get enough business so we work all our hours. On the other hand we should have a problem with working beyond our duty time and this is where the problems are currently.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by rambo1 »

twoloops wrote:I usally get back an hour to half hour before finishing time & there is never any managers about to check what time we return, their office are locked up.
Don't you get it? The PDA and therefore your Dom and his/her bosses know what time you finish. It's when you scan the consolidation collection barcode and log off. Don't think for a minute that you're getting away with it. They are really clamping down on hrs paid that aren't worked. If it's not with you yet it soon Will be.
FacesOfStone
Posts: 112
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by FacesOfStone »

I do wonder what the next steps are. It’s all very well saying after the event that you’ll just do the job properly, not cut corners etc but if they have their data showing that you’re finishing early every day, you get another loop added and then decide that, actually, you will use your trolley, don’t run etc and start cutting off, are they going to say “you’ve been finishing early for x number of months, you’re obviously slowing down artificially to avoid work” and use the PDA actuals to take it further?
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by number one »

FacesOfStone wrote:I do wonder what the next steps are. It’s all very well saying after the event that you’ll just do the job properly, not cut corners etc but if they have their data showing that you’re finishing early every day, you get another loop added and then decide that, actually, you will use your trolley, don’t run etc and start cutting off, are they going to say “you’ve been finishing early for x number of months, you’re obviously slowing down artificially to avoid work” and use the PDA actuals to take it further?
They can’t make you worker faster than the slowest worker so there’s nothing they can do
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by postmanzach »

Nope, not in our office. We got longer days, suppose to be 6 hour delivery, so 1545 finish and there’s often people finishing around 1330-1400. So that’s about 2 hours short a day. It’s crazy, I can’t see how someone up above our manager isn’t going to be looking at the pda actual data and soon make big changes. Tried telling these runners about the pda actuals but they just don’t get it or think they should make the most of it whilst they can.
Jeppol
Posts: 50
Joined: 06 Sep 2011, 15:20
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by Jeppol »

Can't see the point in rushing round anymore to get finished asap, I used to be like that but now I do everything by the book, meal break, seat belt on every time ( rural ), cut no corners whatsoever & try to get back as near to finish time as possible, was fed up of getting back early only to be asked to go back out again, that doesn't happen anymore.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Job and finish

Post by steve1873 »

Ashley’s wrote:If we have taken lapsing which is every other day now, we can go home before finish time, if we haven’t done lapsing we come back and do d2d’s until finish time!
That isn't how it's meant to work. If you don't take lapsing because you have a genuine feeling that you don't have capacity, but misjudged it and happen to be back 15 minutes before time, when others who have taken lapsing have been and are signed out and away, whilst you are being made to work your hours - then that should be a grievance. We are paid by the hour, not by the task so if 1 person is away home, whilst someone else is being kept back, then that is discriminatory.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by robbertwhitton »

rambo1 wrote:
twoloops wrote:I usally get back an hour to half hour before finishing time & there is never any managers about to check what time we return, their office are locked up.
Don't you get it? The PDA and therefore your Dom and his/her bosses know what time you finish. It's when you scan the consolidation collection barcode and log off. Don't think for a minute that you're getting away with it. They are really clamping down on hrs paid that aren't worked. If it's not with you yet it soon Will be.
The time I return to the office and scan the consolidation bar code to say the letters I collected on my round have met a dispatch,certainly isn’t my finishing time,I return undeliverable items ,return van keys etc,maybe if I have time do a row of d2d under the one plan scheme,then sign out and walk out the door,finished.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Job and finish

Post by norris9 »

How far away are we from 100% automated mail sorting? These machines sort most of the mail for us into order. As I don't sort mail often I am not sure what mail is not sorted....I assume it's the written addressed mail that is not sorted?

So is it just a case of some tech guru building a machine that can read written mail and RM will implement it, or instead RM making people send post with printed addresses and then the machines can sort everything into order?

I am surprised this isn't already happening.

I mean, we are placing sequenced mail into slots on a frame and then taking them out again. It seems counter productive. I understand it has to be done because of leaflets and redirections and non sequenced mail, but surely we are not that far away from having a machine sort the whole round for us and bundle it up. This would surely save RM a fortune in wages and they also won't need such large depots as frames will no longer be needed.

Sooner or later we won't be sorting, but just picking up the mail and going out on delivery?
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by rambo1 »

robbertwhitton wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
twoloops wrote:I usally get back an hour to half hour before finishing time & there is never any managers about to check what time we return, their office are locked up.
Don't you get it? The PDA and therefore your Dom and his/her bosses know what time you finish. It's when you scan the consolidation collection barcode and log off. Don't think for a minute that you're getting away with it. They are really clamping down on hrs paid that aren't worked. If it's not with you yet it soon Will be.
The time I return to the office and scan the consolidation bar code to say the letters I collected on my round have met a dispatch,certainly isn’t my finishing time,I return undeliverable items ,return van keys etc,maybe if I have time do a row of d2d under the one plan scheme,then sign out and walk out the door,finished.
If I were you, I'd make sure logging off your PDA is the LAST thing you do before going home. PDA actuals is what they are looking at, don't matter what time you signed a bit of paper to say you're finished for the day I'm afraid.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by rambo1 »

norris9 wrote:How far away are we from 100% automated mail sorting? These machines sort most of the mail for us into order. As I don't sort mail often I am not sure what mail is not sorted....I assume it's the written addressed mail that is not sorted?

So is it just a case of some tech guru building a machine that can read written mail and RM will implement it, or instead RM making people send post with printed addresses and then the machines can sort everything into order?

I am surprised this isn't already happening.

I mean, we are placing sequenced mail into slots on a frame and then taking them out again. It seems counter productive. I understand it has to be done because of leaflets and redirections and non sequenced mail, but surely we are not that far away from having a machine sort the whole round for us and bundle it up. This would surely save RM a fortune in wages and they also won't need such large depots as frames will no longer be needed.

Sooner or later we won't be sorting, but just picking up the mail and going out on delivery?
You haven't been a postie for long have you. You're brilliant idea was thought of....and quickly forgotten... for now at least, as it wasn't workable.
Hand written letters are fine going through sequence machines. We have quite a bit of manual sorted mail still, mainly flats (A4 ) which sometimes come as buddy boxes i.e 2 walks mixed but just walk sorted not sequenced. Packet sorting machines are in the process of being rolled out I understand but I still can't see how that's gonna work. Will each walk have it's packets sorted into one or two shrouded yorks and loaded on the wagons? Even the tiny chinese ones that take ages to actually find an address on? I'll believe it when I see it. Btw, if you're idea comes to light, you'll probably be looking for another job as well. ATB.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by SpacePhoenix »

There's quite a few manufacturers now whose machines can sort and sequence flats and letters (inc AFAIK those wrapped in plastic) together
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by Celgar »

norris9 wrote:How far away are we from 100% automated mail sorting? These machines sort most of the mail for us into order. As I don't sort mail often I am not sure what mail is not sorted....I assume it's the written addressed mail that is not sorted?

So is it just a case of some tech guru building a machine that can read written mail and RM will implement it, or instead RM making people send post with printed addresses and then the machines can sort everything into order?

I am surprised this isn't already happening.

I mean, we are placing sequenced mail into slots on a frame and then taking them out again. It seems counter productive. I understand it has to be done because of leaflets and redirections and non sequenced mail, but surely we are not that far away from having a machine sort the whole round for us and bundle it up. This would surely save RM a fortune in wages and they also won't need such large depots as frames will no longer be needed.

Sooner or later we won't be sorting, but just picking up the mail and going out on delivery?
You are indirectly referencing the proposal for bench merging which was planned by Moya Greene before she left. That proposal was entirely unworkable and the trial failed monumentally. After this RM had to accept that the planned savings were not possible to achieve which has led to the obvious conclusion that further SWW cannot be implemented.
RM is already starting to remove machinery that sequences letters & as the amount of letters drop there will be less & less need to sequence or even walksort the letters & flats. Machinery to sort parcels & packets will take their place.
Sorting all the mail into the frame is the optimum method to prep the mail & we all know it. It may seem daft if you think about it but it's just the way it is.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

Job and finish

Post by themailman »

Celgar wrote:No one should have a problem with working all their duty time. It is RMs responsibility to get enough business so we work all our hours. On the other hand we should have a problem with working beyond our duty time and this is where the problems are currently.
A significant number of staff in my office do, and I'd not be surprised if that is a national problem too.

The worst offenders tend to be those on already sub 4 hour deliveries - they like to set themselves a challenge to get done in under 3.5 hours. All being logged in the PDA's, day after day.