lisag42 wrote:At our induction we were told to return parcels if no one is in, only leave in a Safe Place or with a neighbour if the householder has requested this. At the DO the story is different, they say leave with a neighbour regardless - going against all we were told.
I ask because yesterday I had 20 items I couldn’t offload on anyone - householder wasn’t in, next door wasn’t in. Took me way longer than it should have with all the door knocking & waiting. I’d refused to take extras as I knew I wouldn’t have time which turned out to be the case. No doubt I will get told off tomorrow, but I want your opinions before I say stuff your job.
So far training consisted of a couple of hours out with my coach with him going one way, me the other, I still feel totally lost.
The official RM line is you can try any neighbour unless they have opted out which most haven't. In my experience housing estates are the worst place for delivering parcels as more residents there tend to go to work or just not be in. You won't get in trouble for not trying neighbours as opposed to 'doorstepping' parcels which could land you in a heaps of trouble. Bringing some parcels back as opposed to none all the time also means you office is being used by 'customers' which could help stop your DO being amalgamated into another site.
Once you get to know residents on walks more and which ones are more friendly with you or their neighbours it makes the job easier. A lot of aspects of this job become easier once you attain more knowledge and experience. No one can just arrive and do the job as well as someone who has been doing it for years.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
I am very reluctant to try neighbours after reading a story in the local press of a postie that delivered to a neighbour. The neighbour then denied ever having taken the parcel. Upshot postie got sacked.
thedonkey wrote:I am very reluctant to try neighbours after reading a story in the local press of a postie that delivered to a neighbour. The neighbour then denied ever having taken the parcel. Upshot postie got sacked.
Surely there must be more to it than that? You wouldn't get sacked because of that unless there is more to the story.
I've heard of a few neighbours denying reciept. It's not totally uncommon. The directive is just don't leave parcels with that neighbour again.
Guess I'm old fashioned but I'm still quite reluctant to try neighbours to offload parcels where I deliver. If theres a barcode to scan and the neighbours trustworthy, then I might leave the item with a neighbour (especially if its a large parcel thats occupying half the van space) but on something small with a 2D barcode, well, its just not worth the bother.
I'm aware that customers might complain that you didn't leave an item with a neighbour. But my answer to that is that I would much prefer to put a card through and ensure the customer will get their parcel, than try a dodgy unemployed, drop out neighbour.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.