ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Does anyone actually like the job??

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8906
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by blue1873 »

Navalron wrote:
koolishy67 wrote:I am happy with my job done worse than this job. Great pay, nice hours, paid sick leave, paid annual leave, free shares, good pension.
Yes and a lot of posties, me included went on strike, some for several weeks at a time for all these GREAT CONDITIONS that come with the job. Never forget that RM WILL come for them and sooner rather than later. I saw it start in the mid 90s and especially with the way BACKWARD agreement in 2000. Splitting us up into different groups, some still getting paid m/r, different hours for delivery/MCs like 41.5 he's on walk and 39 in MCs, and even splitting up the workforce in the MCs into, distribution,processing, ect. Like I said enjoy the terms and conditions but when they come for them at least have the decency and balls to fight for them and not well them for £350. Remember that 20 minute break. :arrrghhh
Your spot on there "Navalron" they've paid out the backpay and will be looking for payback in any shape or form
whether it be extra work or conditions they'll have their pound of flesh :d'oh!
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by wacko74 »

koolishy67 wrote:I am happy with my job done worse than this job. Great pay, nice hours, paid sick leave, paid annual leave, free shares, good pension.

Great pay?... Coming out with a couple of quid above minimum wage is hardly ''great'' given the physically demanding nature of our job and out in all weathers and don't forget, someone on minimum wage working similar hours will be paying little/no tax and n.i. and will probably be entitled to Working Tax Credits so could well be getting as much as us.

Nice hours?... Despite finish times that are generally supposed to be about 2.30 we all know on most days we have to be out later than that to complete and anyone who needs to finish on their time to pick up kids for instance will have a daily fight on their hands to do so.

Paid sick leave?... Harassed with daily phone calls, sometimes more than once a day, whilst off sick and pressured to return to work early even when you have a sick note.

Free shares?... Worth a couple of grand for full timers, woohoo, a real life changing sum.

Good pension?... Maybe at one time, as were most private and public sector pensions. The latest proposed scheme will more than likely be as poor performing and precarious as most other pensions now are.
Seagull1983
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 109
Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 13:46
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by Seagull1983 »

11
Last edited by Seagull1983 on 04 Mar 2020, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by SpacePhoenix »

wacko74 wrote:Nice hours?... Despite finish times that are generally supposed to be about 2.30 we all know on most days we have to be out later than that to complete and anyone who needs to finish on their time to pick up kids for instance will have a daily fight on their hands to do so.
Once LAT takes off you'll probably be looking at all delivery duties in DOs finishing at least an hour later so that LAT items get delivered as part of the normal workload. Also if your local MC has been failing a lot more since the start of Network 18 then dispatch times for MC to DO runs might get put back and DO duty start times put back by the same amount
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

rubberbond wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Sink Estate, shootings and police raids on a regular basis, but the people are brilliant and even the gang bangers know me.

I love this job, better than being a call centre operator as I was before.

Only the people who like a job will moan about it, those that don't care won't even think about it after the clock stops.
Has the Walpole Estate moved upmarket then?
Not that estate - the other one. They move the troublemakers from mine to Walpole. :chuckle :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by postmanzach »

Yes I like it, I like it a lot. Doing it 11 years and I enjoy it more than ever.
Keeps me fit and healthy, time flies by, my colleagues are sound and I got a decent DOM.

I think this place is mostly used as an outlet for people to complain, I’m sure there’s plenty of other happy posties like me.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by postslippete »

Great job sadly spoilt by cack management.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by Brandy »

postslippete wrote:Great job sadly spoilt by cack management.
You have hit the nail on the head. :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by Brandy »

postmanzach wrote:Yes I like it, I like it a lot. Doing it 11 years and I enjoy it more than ever.
Keeps me fit and healthy, time flies by, my colleagues are sound and I got a decent DOM.

I think this place is mostly used as an outlet for people to complain, I’m sure there’s plenty of other happy posties like me.
Yes I loved being a postie,other posties were a great bunch,but unlike you I didnt have a decent DOM or Lino and what a difference that makes,they were both nasty,only thought of their bonus and woe betide if either were in a bad mood,you just kept your head down,and in the end I just used to dread going in to work.
Best job I ever had but ruined by them pair. :no no
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by postmanzach »

Brandy wrote:
postmanzach wrote:Yes I like it, I like it a lot. Doing it 11 years and I enjoy it more than ever.
Keeps me fit and healthy, time flies by, my colleagues are sound and I got a decent DOM.

I think this place is mostly used as an outlet for people to complain, I’m sure there’s plenty of other happy posties like me.
Yes I loved being a postie,other posties were a great bunch,but unlike you I didnt have a decent DOM or Lino and what a difference that makes,they were both nasty,only thought of their bonus and woe betide if either were in a bad mood,you just kept your head down,and in the end I just used to dread going in to work.
Best job I ever had but ruined by them pair. :no no
Sorry You left now? did you ever consider a transfer? I do fear the future as for 20-30 years left and my managers been good my office is in for a shock when he retires I think in a year or two. He helps out a little bit with scanning tracked and tipping trays, little things that make our office appear more efficient than it is, and one or two come in early. This cooks the boos so next year and after they gonna be forced to repeat or try and squeeze us harder.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1509
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by HTPostman »

Yep, there's a reason I've returned to RM. Sure some parts do your head in but overall for the pay there's few unskilled jobs better.

Believe me, dealing with customer complaints for £7.83 an hour, with minimal heating and no toilet facilities as it packed in and won't be fixed cos your boss won't spend any money then being given a £30 Christmas bonus while he uses £400k of business income to treat himself is what I call crap.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by Brandy »

postmanzach wrote:
Brandy wrote:
postmanzach wrote:Yes I like it, I like it a lot. Doing it 11 years and I enjoy it more than ever.
Keeps me fit and healthy, time flies by, my colleagues are sound and I got a decent DOM.

I think this place is mostly used as an outlet for people to complain, I’m sure there’s plenty of other happy posties like me.
Yes I loved being a postie,other posties were a great bunch,but unlike you I didnt have a decent DOM or Lino and what a difference that makes,they were both nasty,only thought of their bonus and woe betide if either were in a bad mood,you just kept your head down,and in the end I just used to dread going in to work.
Best job I ever had but ruined by them pair. :no no
Sorry You left now? did you ever consider a transfer? I do fear the future as for 20-30 years left and my managers been good my office is in for a shock when he retires I think in a year or two. He helps out a little bit with scanning tracked and tipping trays, little things that make our office appear more efficient than it is, and one or two come in early. This cooks the boos so next year and after they gonna be forced to repeat or try and squeeze us harder.
Not really sorry now, and as I only had another few years left before retiring never really considered a transfer,but would have loved to have done 20 years but just couldnt hack another year with them pair,I suppose though it will always leave a nasty taste in my mouth how I was treated.
Good luck and hope when your decent manager retires you dont end up with a bad one.
WallaceCat
Posts: 70
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 22:38
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by WallaceCat »

postietom wrote:If you're from a different background like yourself or myself then your view is different; the view in unionised industries to to always complain as you should always want better. It's quite understandable to be honest and many of the benefits we enjoy are because of this view. There are certain drawbacks to it in my opinion, there's people in my office that are so lazy or uncompetent they should've been got rid of years ago but that's the trade off for job security. I do really enjoy the job, days like today are crap with the freezing rain in 0 degrees but there's good and bad in all jobs. I'll never leave now of my own accord.
Yes I agree, Iv had some tough jobs so for me this is easy n I can understand the senior posties gripes about certain things. Fortunately I'm on packets this xmas so Iv been warm n cosy lol, plus I gave xmads week as my rota :thumbup
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by postmanzach »

I use to never know my days were gonna be. Now I know what they are for the next year. And every 4 weeks we get long weekends (Friday Saturday Monday Tuesday ) so can use that for short holidays or work one or 2 days of it for loads of extra hours and still have some days off.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Does anyone actually like the job??

Post by Postie45 »

do i like the job ? good question, i enjoy aspects of the job, as others have stated its the management and their unawareness and non trust of its workforce that is the issue.