ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Management
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Management
I see nothing changes then,all I can say is,and what I have said many times is What goes around comes around,and all these bullying so called managers will one day get their comeupance,and I wouldnt want to be in their shoes when they do. 
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Management
dtyssmshdchrb wrote:I've worked in a few offices now over the past 15 years, seen good and bad managers as well as well running offices and poorly run ones.
My current office and manager, however, is the worst I've experienced in any job. So many people on here are asking why people are working for nothing and it's a valid question, one I ask myself daily. In this office though, absolutely every step has been taken over the years so that everyone and I mean every single postie is taken advantage of and ends up working for nothing.
The overtime sheet? Never seen it, never signed it, we don't get to. Every single person come in before their time, the manager has long said he doesn't mind if people come in early to get an earlier finish. However, with 24, 30 and 38 hour contracts all the finish times are different. In the summer from time to time you'll get a super early finish and it's great, the rest of the year though you're over time or you're on time... but you worked your breaks. Ask about claiming for overtime or cutting off and you either get told it'll be quiet tomorrow, you'll get the time back. Have a busy Thursday and you'll get told you finished early on Tuesday, which you probably didn't because you worked through your breaks and cut a million corners.
I know we don't bank hours, I know all the procedures for cutting off and I know all my rights. Yet, in this office, the culture is one of just... working for nothing, all the f***ing time! 24hr contracts get paid an extra hour a day to come in early... so they come in even earlier than an hour before their start time. The duties are all too big yet lapsing is compulsory, nobody dares to cut off. We're short staffed and occasionally have to cover even more as a "favour"... nobody gets paid extra. You get grief if you try to do anything by the book. Everyone has grumbles about it but nobody dares to change how it is. Despite knowing all this, I find myself buckling to conform to the way the rest of the office choose to do things too.
It doesn't help that there is no union representation in the office. Our rep seems to be one in name only. I haven't heard a single communication from the union in this office ever. I'm thinking I need to address these problems by going to a regional rep and seeing what they can do. As it stands, our entire staff are being exploited, bullied and are too far gone to seem to want to change things.
Grim.
This sounds like an office where managers would love to work in! Trouble is, too many posties are like sheep and where one goes, others seem to follow. They see posties getting in work over an hour early working for FREE and finishing early and it suits them. The know they managers won't give them any grief and that they will be "looked after". I'm under no illusions that it goes on in every workplace, where the boss will have their favourites because of it. Whereas, the few posties who seem to be doing it by the book are facing an uphill struggle because of their selfish colleagues when they inform their managers that they will either be cutting off or claiming delivery overtime. At this time of year though RM are more than happy to pay overtime, even though there are still some muppets coming in early UNPAID.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.