ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The PDA

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cookiewise
Posts: 101
Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
Gender: Female
Location: over the hills and far away

The PDA

Post by cookiewise »

Hi Janet
Thanks for the link - I had already read through that thread. I'm really interested in finding out more about what training on the pda people have had as I have only been shown the yellow scanning button and nothing else re. the capabilities of the technology.
At induction RM stressed their commitment to training and investing in their staff but I have yet to see any evidence of that. It is the most disappointing job I have ever had. The way I am being treated at the moment is damaging my mental health and yet at induction they emphasised their concern for staff wellbeing.

It's all just a massive balloon of hot air. They don't give a damn about their employees. Well, they don't in my DO that's for sure.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

The PDA

Post by Celgar »

cookiewise wrote:Hi Janet
Thanks for the link - I had already read through that thread. I'm really interested in finding out more about what training on the pda people have had as I have only been shown the yellow scanning button and nothing else re. the capabilities of the technology.
At induction RM stressed their commitment to training and investing in their staff but I have yet to see any evidence of that. It is the most disappointing job I have ever had. The way I am being treated at the moment is damaging my mental health and yet at induction they emphasised their concern for staff wellbeing.

It's all just a massive balloon of hot air. They don't give a damn about their employees. Well, they don't in my DO that's for sure.
I have been reading your posts and your DO sounds like one of the really badly run ones.
You should have had training on how to use the PDA on a one to one basis either with the initial postie that showed you the walk or by the DOM or coach if your office has one. The most recent major training was regarding the tracked items with 'safeplace' marked on them that need a photo taken if not given to the customer. That training is also about deciding if the safeplace is safe and choosing other drop-down options such as leaving with a neighbour and typing the neighbour details into the PDA. The most recent PDA change is the logging off method which has changed. You should also have been shown how to use the phone on the PDA to phone if you had an accident in a RM van .
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
cookiewise
Posts: 101
Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
Gender: Female
Location: over the hills and far away

The PDA

Post by cookiewise »

Hey Celgar
That's really interesting.
There is no work coach in my DO and I was only shown how to log into the pda and download my route and then scan a parcel as delivered. I only just discovered you can scan more than one at a time! I've been doing them all separately! I figured out how to phone to call the DOM to say I was running out of time and what did he want me to do? Of course he didn't pick up so I just carried on and hoped I would be paid for my extra time.
I don't know anything about 'safeplace' or leave with a neighbour nor do I have any idea of how to take a photo. Just how crap is my DO?!!

My office seems to run on the goodwill of the staff. When the DOM is absent the place is much happier. Folk just get on with it and they want to do a good job, but when you're constantly being put down by your DOM it's difficult to continue to give a damn and I do really like the customers on my route. Most of them are so friendly.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

The PDA

Post by Celgar »

cookiewise wrote:Hey Celgar
That's really interesting.
There is no work coach in my DO and I was only shown how to log into the pda and download my route and then scan a parcel as delivered. I only just discovered you can scan more than one at a time! I've been doing them all separately! I figured out how to phone to call the DOM to say I was running out of time and what did he want me to do? Of course he didn't pick up so I just carried on and hoped I would be paid for my extra time.
I don't know anything about 'safeplace' or leave with a neighbour nor do I have any idea of how to take a photo. Just how crap is my DO?!!

My office seems to run on the goodwill of the staff. When the DOM is absent the place is much happier. Folk just get on with it and they want to do a good job, but when you're constantly being put down by your DOM it's difficult to continue to give a damn and I do really like the customers on my route. Most of them are so friendly.
It's amazing how badly some offices are run. The DOM at your office really needs replacing.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
cookiewise
Posts: 101
Joined: 16 Sep 2018, 09:31
Gender: Female
Location: over the hills and far away

The PDA

Post by cookiewise »

The irony here is he's only been there 6 weeks (same length of time as me) and he's clearly never managed staff before. He is only temporary since the last DOM went off long term sick. I am starting to really resent the place and the job - all because of the way the DOM is treating me. I can't sleep through worry (hence this post a 0420!) and really don't know how to improve this situation. I wish I'd stayed in my last job. It paid a bit less but OMG it was stress-free. Unlike this.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

The PDA

Post by Celgar »

cookiewise wrote:The irony here is he's only been there 6 weeks (same length of time as me) and he's clearly never managed staff before. He is only temporary since the last DOM went off long term sick. I am starting to really resent the place and the job - all because of the way the DOM is treating me. I can't sleep through worry (hence this post a 0420!) and really don't know how to improve this situation. I wish I'd stayed in my last job. It paid a bit less but OMG it was stress-free. Unlike this.
The job isn't that bad once you get used to it. I wouldn't give up on it yet as the temporary DOM might not be there too long then you might get a more intelligent person running your DO. Certainly in the case of our delivery office once new people have learnt the job and have settled in they stay for years - you just need to get to that point.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.