ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by steve1873 »

tony67 wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:
tony67 wrote:that was total nonsense I am asked to go in for 7.30am every morning!
*Asked*. . just say no, you need your sleep, that's what I do.

As for the 1 in 6 saturdays, everyone is entitled to that, if you don't get at least 1 in 6 then you are being treated unfairly, go and see the rep.
I tried this yesterday, thats when i was told for the first time i was a reserve and am not entitled, like i say i will find out how i join the union.
He lied to you simple as that. You are being discriminated against. Take a witness with you, have the same conversation and when told the same again, pick up phone and dial number on pay slip for HR and tell them you wish to file a grievance against said manager!
paulthepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 123
Joined: 06 Nov 2009, 18:43
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by paulthepostie »

supertouring wrote:Been in 7 week and I find the job great. Coming from a professional IT background, the level of incompetence is negligible compared to management I have worked with previously and the demands on my personal time can be counted in minutes rather than days/weekends/weeks.

The physical job is tough, but when out there is no micro management and when the job is done, it is done for the day. No late night or weekend end work/travel etc

Horses for courses, but maybe I landed lucky where I am.
You sound like you were unlucky with your previous work. I left Royal Mail three years ago and work as a 3rd line IT engineer and don't miss Royal Mail at all. Best decision i made and i realise now , how terrible Royal Mail was.

I finish when i want and have every weekend back to myself. The only downside is that I'm on-call once in every two months for a week. I certainly don't have travel etc or late night work if i don't want it.

Fair play though if you enjoy Royal Mail and the outdoor work. I do agree that I have seen some pretty woeful management though ,at times!
jon_gardner85
Posts: 13
Joined: 12 May 2016, 12:14
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by jon_gardner85 »

People need to get a grip. Get in, get it done, get on with life. They underpay you, kick off. They want you to do something you don't want to do, don't do it. Some people really make life a lot more difficult than it really is.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by k979aaa »

jon_gardner85 wrote:People need to get a grip. Get in, get it done, get on with life. They underpay you, kick off. They want you to do something you don't want to do, don't do it. Some people really make life a lot more difficult than it really is.
Except they do have big axe over their necks till they are made permanent so I do feel for them but bullying will go on unless you learn to stand up for yourself!
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by postslippete »

Aye, the overrunning procedure is still as fresh as it was back in the 80s. Only problem is back then you never ever had any need whatsoever to be using the cutting off procedure; whereas now its a daily occurrence with managers brow beating you over how many loops or excess packets you might or might not be allowed to leave. I would actually prefer to take everything out with me and then give them a ring an hour before the shift ends what I am likely to leave back. But they now prefer to know in advance what I am likely not to be able to deliver. So then I say 2 loops, they will come back to me with, can you just leave 1 loop, I then counter with leaving the big packets, and they come back with, can you take all the Tracked items, I then counter with I will but they may not all get delivered in the time unless I do them 1st in which case it would best for me to leave 2 loops. Same sh*t, different manager.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

8 weeks in.....worst job ever!!

Post by k979aaa »

postslippete wrote:Aye, the overrunning procedure is still as fresh as it was back in the 80s. Only problem is back then you never ever had any need whatsoever to be using the cutting off procedure; whereas now its a daily occurrence with managers brow beating you over how many loops or excess packets you might or might not be allowed to leave. I would actually prefer to take everything out with me and then give them a ring an hour before the shift ends what I am likely to leave back. But they now prefer to know in advance what I am likely not to be able to deliver. So then I say 2 loops, they will come back to me with, can you just leave 1 loop, I then counter with leaving the big packets, and they come back with, can you take all the Tracked items, I then counter with I will but they may not all get delivered in the time unless I do them 1st in which case it would best for me to leave 2 loops. Same sh*t, different manager.
Well don't agree anything with them are you a fortune teller? by perchance the title in their job description MANAGER if you cannot for fill the description do not apply and vacate if you do hold the position under false pretences!