ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA's constantly logging off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

They are as simple as using a mobile phone. It sounds like most of the people on here can't even use one of those. :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by CPTNemoUK »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:They are as simple as using a mobile phone. It sounds like most of the people on here can't even use one of those. :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
Stop trying to wind people up it's obvious what you are doing. I cam build pcs I know how to work my galaxy S8. I know when something is crap and the Pda's are just crap.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by Janet Brum »

My pda crashes at least twice a day, the screen turnes black and I have to remove the battery and start it again or wait up to 5 minutes for it to get back to normal, wich I can`t usually as I have lots of little crap to scan :arrrghhh
Why that happens I have no clue and I`m not useless with technology either, probably not so bright as our mattjo1 who`s probably the smartest man alive :crazy:
Also why the pda`s are so heavy is a big mistery, they weight a ton when they should have been much lighter in this era ...
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by Celgar »

I think the occasional PDA doesn't work very well. A PDA on one of the other walks in our office has something like that logging off problem.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Cowdenpostie
Posts: 45
Joined: 22 Nov 2008, 19:59
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by Cowdenpostie »

Im having issues with my PDA when scanning 2d barcodes - even though I'm scanning the 2d, it often brings up the 1d barcode, and I'm careful to make sure the laser isn't scanning any part of the 1d code, don't know what's going on but then have to input the 2d manually as it just won't take the scan, very frustrating...
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by Darren Bent »

Royal Mail need to fix 2 major bugs

1. Stop it crashing after finishing scanning and putting it in coat pocket then it doesn't work afterward which mean hard reset needed.

2. Stop it loading Sat Nav when I haven't ask for it.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by Celgar »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:They are as simple as using a mobile phone. It sounds like most of the people on here can't even use one of those. :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
Not everyone in RM will have joined the social media/computer/mobile phone using community so those people may struggle a little. Not speaking personally but there may be older Postie's who fall within this bracket.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12199
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Darren Bent wrote:Royal Mail need to fix 2 major bugs

1. Stop it crashing after finishing scanning and putting it in coat pocket then it doesn't work afterward which mean hard reset needed.

2. Stop it loading Sat Nav when I haven't ask for it.
Just lock the screen when you put it in your pocket :roll:
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by crimson king »

Celgar wrote:
mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:They are as simple as using a mobile phone. It sounds like most of the people on here can't even use one of those. :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
Not everyone in RM will have joined the social media/computer/mobile phone using community so those people may struggle a little. Not speaking personally but there may be older Postie's who fall within this bracket.
Good point but to address the original comment, they simply aren't as simple as using a mobile phone. Mobiles have user friendly interfaces, sit comfortably in your hand/pocket and don't lock up in the slightest rain.

And on a mobile phone you can work out how to close a f***ing app that has opened without you wanting it to.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I would be happy if when it did crash you could just close the royal mail app. Then reload it without taking the battery out.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Naming no names but a part of the ethos of this board is to help members, not look down your nose at them.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by Celgar »

If I'm going to carry the PDA in the mail pouch on a walking part of my delivery I just press the off button lightly so the screen goes black. The lock function is a bit fiddly so I don't bother with that method.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3359
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by Mr Rush »

crimson king wrote:And has anyone ever used that memo function thats also appeared from nowhere when you try to scan something?
Yes. Last summer when RM was bombarding us with messages. Accidentally sent some emoticons in reply :wink:
The machine stops.
postmanzach
Posts: 515
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by postmanzach »

Resetting it is probably quicker than taking the battery out.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by CPTNemoUK »

deetee wrote:Resetting it is probably quicker than taking the battery out.
How do you reset it when you get the black screen of death?.