ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Posties not using trolleys
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Posties not using trolleys
It's still amazing how many posters use the same excuse or reason is "Its faster" or "slows you down " or " what fits best " etc.
You are all taking a big stick to your own back! RM made the rules, not yours to bend, work around and get faster to do even more work !
Until all the turkeys out there realise Xmas soon comes, RM managers will continue to take the piss while wearing blindfolds gasping in amazement that there's fools out there prepared to cripple themselves for the sake of a gold star or pat on the back for being a t..t
You are all taking a big stick to your own back! RM made the rules, not yours to bend, work around and get faster to do even more work !
Until all the turkeys out there realise Xmas soon comes, RM managers will continue to take the piss while wearing blindfolds gasping in amazement that there's fools out there prepared to cripple themselves for the sake of a gold star or pat on the back for being a t..t
-
taxi4leighton
- Posts: 343
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:05
Posties not using trolleys
has anyone done long term research on effects of trolleys
perhaps their not that great
me, i prefer to break up loops with bags that are not too heavy
ive always thought it strange that the occasions when you would like to use trolley i.e. delivering flats with loads of stairs,you cant
perhaps their not that great
me, i prefer to break up loops with bags that are not too heavy
ive always thought it strange that the occasions when you would like to use trolley i.e. delivering flats with loads of stairs,you cant
-
taxi4leighton
- Posts: 343
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:05
Posties not using trolleys
in our shared van we do two walks.
one all blocks of flats with maximum loop of 25 minutes
the other 95% main door houses
if i was to do duty with trolley these loops would take 45 minutes each
i think,and do second walk as first
keeping loops and weight on back to comfortable level
this seems logical and common sense
one all blocks of flats with maximum loop of 25 minutes
the other 95% main door houses
if i was to do duty with trolley these loops would take 45 minutes each
i think,and do second walk as first
keeping loops and weight on back to comfortable level
this seems logical and common sense
-
SierraOscarBravo
- Posts: 156
- Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
- Gender: Male
Posties not using trolleys
Wholeheartedly agree with everything you say. Some people working on shared van duties do feel pressurised by their runner partners to carry overweight bags on their shoulders just because they don't want the stick. It shouldn't be that way and it just makes no sense why you wouldn't use the equipment provided to take the weight off your shoulder.tommyrep wrote:It's still amazing how many posters use the same excuse or reason is "Its faster" or "slows you down " or " what fits best " etc.
You are all taking a big stick to your own back! RM made the rules, not yours to bend, work around and get faster to do even more work !
Until all the turkeys out there realise Xmas soon comes, RM managers will continue to take the piss while wearing blindfolds gasping in amazement that there's fools out there prepared to cripple themselves for the sake of a gold star or pat on the back for being a t..t
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Posties not using trolleys
*duplicate sorry*
Last edited by bustedflush on 17 Jan 2017, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Posties not using trolleys
Put it this way, I was on a round once and we had one of those 'spot checks' where the Manager and Lino ambushed us and checked our footwear, van for handbrake applied, supply of 739's and PDA, watched us delivering for a street (annoying as many drives had low wire or picket fences we would normally step over and for their benefit we had to make a show of trying neighbours with packets when we knew nobody was in) and checked ID badge hi-viz was on and uniform and funnily enough pouches. We were fine, on all counts. Thing is as usual on that round we had no trolley, not even folded in the van as that particular round had always been broken up for pouches. Not a word was said, not even when we asked how we did and were told all was good. I think the managers ASSUME everyone uses pouches still and view the trolleyers as a minority. Of all the rounds I did there was only 2 or 3 when I needed a trolley due to the way it was split.
I was told from day 1 these were mostly unnecessary by whomever I was paired with. I was effectively off my trolley from the day I started delivery.
I was told from day 1 these were mostly unnecessary by whomever I was paired with. I was effectively off my trolley from the day I started delivery.
-
SierraOscarBravo
- Posts: 156
- Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
- Gender: Male
Posties not using trolleys
Yes I agree. Colleagues shouldn't feel pressurised but there are some that do. Many runners talk about 'beating you back to the van' or 'making time' etc as if that is all that matters. I am not slow but most of the time my partners get back to the van first. Partners who don't use trolleys, cut across lawns, openly admit to door stepping and only leaving parcels with neighbours if someone comes out.phillippo73 wrote:I don't understand why posties feel pressurized into carrying a bag when working with a runner?I use the LWT every loop the way we are supposed to,it takes as long as it takes,if the runner has to wait 10 minutes at the van then hard luck,as for breaks,sorry back to the office for 20 minutes,people need to stick up for themselves and stop being walked all over by selfish work colleagues.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Posties not using trolleys
I prefer to use a trolley. However I work in an office where the manager never leaves the office for the light of day and therefore hasn't any real evidence or interest that 90% of the staff never use a trolley, there is a rusting and growing pile of trolleys in the back yard (unloved), colleagues actually get quite angry with each other over use of trolleys or not. Management also buy in to the non use of trolleys unofficially in the mistaken belief that it keeps the overtime bill down and hence improves their own bonus.
The biggest problems this causes for the workforce (because of our short sighted and often selfish outlook) are we are allowing ourselves to have more work piled on to be completed by ever more ridiculous times because of rushing round over over walls. fences etc with a shoulder bag and tearing round dangerously in the van to deliver the parcels that should have been in the trolly in the first place. And how the hell are we ever to successfully complete a compensation claim or even full rights early retirement should we be unlucky enough to suffer ill health directly caused by using the wrong equipment all the time?
I am constantly amazed by the intense motion that a piece of folding metal with two plastic wheels causes amongst normally rational human beings!
The biggest problems this causes for the workforce (because of our short sighted and often selfish outlook) are we are allowing ourselves to have more work piled on to be completed by ever more ridiculous times because of rushing round over over walls. fences etc with a shoulder bag and tearing round dangerously in the van to deliver the parcels that should have been in the trolly in the first place. And how the hell are we ever to successfully complete a compensation claim or even full rights early retirement should we be unlucky enough to suffer ill health directly caused by using the wrong equipment all the time?
I am constantly amazed by the intense motion that a piece of folding metal with two plastic wheels causes amongst normally rational human beings!
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Posties not using trolleys
redneck wrote:I prefer to use a trolley. However I work in an office where the manager never leaves the office for the light of day and therefore hasn't any real evidence or interest that 90% of the staff never use a trolley, there is a rusting and growing pile of trolleys in the back yard (unloved), colleagues actually get quite angry with each other over use of trolleys or not. Management also buy in to the non use of trolleys unofficially in the mistaken belief that it keeps the overtime bill down and hence improves their own bonus.
The biggest problems this causes for the workforce (because of our short sighted and often selfish outlook) are we are allowing ourselves to have more work piled on to be completed by ever more ridiculous times because of rushing round over over walls. fences etc with a shoulder bag and tearing round dangerously in the van to deliver the parcels that should have been in the trolly in the first place. And how the hell are we ever to successfully complete a compensation claim or even full rights early retirement should we be unlucky enough to suffer ill health directly caused by using the wrong equipment all the time?
I am constantly amazed by the intense motion that a piece of folding metal with two plastic wheels causes amongst normally rational human beings!
That's just it -there's no intense motion when using a trolley, just a stop-start-stop etc. (I know it was a typo only joking..)
I bet if the buggers were motorized and rechargeable so you could stand on the back everyone'd use them....
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Posties not using trolleys
I'm not a fan of the trolleys at all, I only use it if I've got a really heavy bag, or if I've got loads of packets. The trolleys could do with being sturdier at any rate. I had one really heavy day some time last year and took my trolley, only to realise it was totally knackered when I got out on delivery, I had to improvise and make a temporary repair with rubber bands (time studying engineering put to good use at last
)
Yes I know I should have checked the trolley in the morning, but you kind of expect the "mandatory" equipment to be in good working order.
Yes I know I should have checked the trolley in the morning, but you kind of expect the "mandatory" equipment to be in good working order.
-
walkthewalk
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
- Gender: Male
Posties not using trolleys
If you fail to complete your duty in our office on a regular basis because you use a trolley then you are under the microscope by the DOM who then takes you off the duty to put you on another duty and if you fail to complete that duty because you use a trolley when the previous postie was a runner with bag on shoulder then you get the 3 C's all because you are doing the job correctly.
-
Sawfeet
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 13 Dec 2015, 12:01
- Gender: Male
Posties not using trolleys
@walkthewalk
What the 3 C's, Ta
All ready under microscope as still on 6 months probation, do wonder if end of six months DOM will say your not fast enough you're not a Postman!
What the 3 C's, Ta
All ready under microscope as still on 6 months probation, do wonder if end of six months DOM will say your not fast enough you're not a Postman!
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
bergos
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 18:44
- Gender: Male
Posties not using trolleys
My biggest issue with the trollies is they're built for an average sized person to use one I have to bend down to pull it!
Do they make a trolly with a longer handle for the taller man?
Do they make a trolly with a longer handle for the taller man?
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Posties not using trolleys
Got the same problem always makes my back achebergos wrote:My biggest issue with the trollies is they're built for an average sized person to use one I have to bend down to pull it!
Do they make a trolly with a longer handle for the taller man?