ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How do you manage....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
JeremyFisher
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 14:10
Gender: Male

How do you manage....

Post by JeremyFisher »

Some people just go at a ridiculous pace, I covered a guys round which everyone said was 'easy' I could barely get done in the time given!

Anyway last week the rounds usual guy and I left the office at the same time and he just took off into the sunset, I couldn't keep up with him even at my fast walk and that's when I realised he's a runner.

Managers love people like that and let them go early as to not piss them off, they'll sprint on a heavy day and not claim OT which is the holy grail for managers, if they made the sprinters do more work, they would just go slower and get back on time.

And of course there's the people who don't use the trolleys when they really should, done a round for the first time last week, driver hands me this HUGE bag and I ask where the trolley is, says the usual guy doesn't use one :arrrghhh
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

How do you manage....

Post by Dorset Plodder »

JeremyFisher wrote:
And of course there's the people who don't use the trolleys when they really should, done a round for the first time last week, driver hands me this HUGE bag and I ask where the trolley is, says the usual guy doesn't use one :arrrghhh
Always know when someones not using the correct working practices........... You prep the walk to deliver it with a LWT and when you get to the van....there's no LWT! If you're lucky you'll discover that before you leave the yard. I have in fact got out on deliver and then discovered it! :d'oh!

FFS IF you're not going to use the bloody thing at least Bungee one in the back of the van! I'm truly surprised by the number of guys that don't use them. Some on the Older guys, should know better. They're no spring chickens and will obviously suffer more from the wear & tear! Of course it's convenient to them because they can't carry any larger packets, "I can't fit them in the bag"!( which is of course the reason why they introduced the LWTs in the first place). So they give them to the driver to deliver, which I feel is unfair and puts more work on him. :no no
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

How do you manage....

Post by ScousePostie »

I'm a newish postie, 18 months in the job. I'm one of the younger ones in the office. I use the LWT quite frequently, especially on heavy days. If the equipment is there to be used, use it. Every van (where theres a shared van duty) should have two LWTs in the van, yet there's many vans in the office I work at which have none.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

How do you manage....

Post by Chewster »

I've seen me out with a LTW with two huge bags on it plus a huge bag over my shoulder, because my driver for that period was a lazy bugger who is so deep in a manager's pocket that he could count his change for him while polishing his bollocks. He's not put on vanshare duties now thanks to other managers taking note. But my point is, drivers aren't all saints who have it hard!

Nowadays I'm more often a driver than a passenger, I'm very fair and will often take parcels that other drivers wouldn't, we usually do the duties together and I'll often offer to take a heavier loop and give the passenger my easier one if they are struggling, and I personally think we have a fairly easy go of it.

But I should stress that on this particular pair of duties, the driving duty is a fair bit shorter than the passenger one (as I understand it's supposed to work) so I'm usually up well before my passenger giving me plenty time to do all the driver specific bits and bobs.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

How do you manage....

Post by Barbel »

Most people in our office get back early, we even have one lad who finishes around 12 every day. The reason is they rush about, drive like maniacs and sign for everything themselves including specials. On a heavy day I usually finish around 2.30 and I very rarely sign for anything as knowing my luck something will go missing so I just do the job how it's meant to be done. The trouble is because of the runners RM thinks it's a doable job in the time we're given, but in reality if everyone came in on their start time, took their breaks and finished when they're meant to RM would be fuc*ed!
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

How do you manage....

Post by bustedflush »

Barbel wrote:Most people in our office get back early, we even have one lad who finishes around 12 every day. The reason is they rush about, drive like maniacs and sign for everything themselves including specials. On a heavy day I usually finish around 2.30 and I very rarely sign for anything as knowing my luck something will go missing so I just do the job how it's meant to be done. The trouble is because of the runners RM thinks it's a doable job in the time we're given, but in reality if everyone came in on their start time, took their breaks and finished when they're meant to RM would be fuc*ed!
Both the former and latter there will likely mean an imminent journey to the Job Centre. Don't do it, ever!