ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
-
simply_the_best
- Posts: 594
- Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
I've always worn mine and wouldn't remove it for anyone.
-
work
- Posts: 231
- Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 17:01
- Gender: Male
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
JUST STOP ANGLING FOR BEEF...The Royal British Legion stance is wear red, wear white, wear both or none. JUST REMEMBER ALL THE FALLEN. (innocents/ civilians/ military/ animals) because war is carnage and there are no 'winners'. You can do this in your own way...and never forget...we will remember them.
-
thefox
- Posts: 1197
- Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 20:09
- Gender: Male
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
I wear my poppy every year in office and on delivery if i was ever told to take it off for whatever reason i would refuse no matter the consequences wonder what the newspapers would say if someone leaked a story that a dom had suspended a postman for refusing to remove his poppy
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
I find the most effective way to deal with this kind of Management BS is just to ask, "Would it be possible for you to show me the relevant rules"? Nine Times out of Ten they can't .... because they're just making it up to suit their own agenda.twoloops wrote:Dom removed a large poppy off the front a van this morning, said they are not allowed?
We Will Remember Them
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
barcajr
- Posts: 168
- Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 01:04
- Gender: Male
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Poppys are sold in my Delivery Office
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Do they sell shamrocks on saint patricks day..
-
Tinoblade
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
- Gender: Male
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Dorset Plodder wrote:I find the most effective way to deal with this kind of Management BS is just to ask, "Would it be possible for you to show me the relevant rules"? Nine Times out of Ten they can't .... because they're just making it up to suit their own agenda.twoloops wrote:Dom removed a large poppy off the front a van this morning, said they are not allowed?I don't believe ANY half sensible Manager in a UK Business would make this kind of statement FFS.
Next week I'll probably be making a few pointed remarks to certain individuals in my DO, as to why they're not wearing a Poppy.
We Will Remember Them
Last edited by Tinoblade on 03 Nov 2019, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
-
work
- Posts: 231
- Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 17:01
- Gender: Male
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
but they do sell you down the river in order to collect their bonusaiden01 wrote:Do they sell shamrocks on saint patricks day..
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Not the same thing. They don't sell roses on St George's day, daffodils on St David's day, or thistles on St Andrews day eitheraiden01 wrote:Do they sell shamrocks on saint patricks day..
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Wearing a poppy whether it's red, white, black or I believe purple to remember the animals who gave their lives doesn't necessarily make anyone a good person, it doesn't necessarily mean you respect those who gave their lives or those who will in the future. It doesn't necessarily mean you're a pacifist or even an animal lover.
It just means you bought a badge.
The rest is an internal human decency thing and wearing a poppy or not doesn't indicate any of that. To be honest it's just a bit of virtue signalling like a Children in Need badge.
I give to the RBL all year round not just in November, I am connected in ways I won't go into on here but I won't wear a poppy because too many people wear it as a badge of honour and it was never meant to be that.
It just means you bought a badge.
The rest is an internal human decency thing and wearing a poppy or not doesn't indicate any of that. To be honest it's just a bit of virtue signalling like a Children in Need badge.
I give to the RBL all year round not just in November, I am connected in ways I won't go into on here but I won't wear a poppy because too many people wear it as a badge of honour and it was never meant to be that.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Yes,I often used to be left with just a stalk,but I always got another one. If I was on delivery on the the 11th, and at 11oclock I would always listen out for the cannon and then stand still. It always brought a lump to my throat.Ulysses wrote:Been wearing mine, no problem...
...until it got torn off by a bag over my shoulder![]()
Still easy to get another one
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2039
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Royal Mail Sack Postman For Defending The Cenotaph in London, why’s our CWU not on this?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72754
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Reading through the word salad the video maker posted, he wasn't sacked for "Defending the Cenotaph" he was sacked for being absent without authorization. As he had previously stated to his manager why he wanted the day off, it wouldn't take that much of a leap for it to become Gross Misconduct, when he went after the leave was denied.
Whatever side of the political spectrum you are on, going AWOL for a political event isn't the best move, especially when you told them before exactly what you were intending to do.
I think the Union Rep should represent him if he is a union member, at any hearings, but I certainly wouldn't expect the CWU nationally to make an issue of this when he effectively shot himself in the foot.
Also just so you know where I am coming from, I Served 1 Tour in NI, 1 in the FRY, and 1 in FI.
Whatever side of the political spectrum you are on, going AWOL for a political event isn't the best move, especially when you told them before exactly what you were intending to do.
I think the Union Rep should represent him if he is a union member, at any hearings, but I certainly wouldn't expect the CWU nationally to make an issue of this when he effectively shot himself in the foot.
Also just so you know where I am coming from, I Served 1 Tour in NI, 1 in the FRY, and 1 in FI.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Tman
- Posts: 4146
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Obviously as a union member he's entitled to union representation, but that's to see that the various rules and regs are correctly followed but not to "get him off" of any disciplinary actions due to his going AWOL.TrueBlueTerrier wrote: ↑27 May 2021, 08:02
I think the Union Rep should represent him if he is a union member, at any hearings, but I certainly wouldn't expect the CWU nationally to make an issue of this when he effectively shot himself in the foot.
Hopefully next time he'll keep quiet about his plans ahead of the day.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Are we allowed to wear a poppy?
Bit difficult if you're going to risk being on the news and social media as such demonstrations is likely to do.Tman wrote: ↑27 May 2021, 08:56Obviously as a union member he's entitled to union representation, but that's to see that the various rules and regs are correctly followed but not to "get him off" of any disciplinary actions due to his going AWOL.TrueBlueTerrier wrote: ↑27 May 2021, 08:02
I think the Union Rep should represent him if he is a union member, at any hearings, but I certainly wouldn't expect the CWU nationally to make an issue of this when he effectively shot himself in the foot.
Hopefully next time he'll keep quiet about his plans ahead of the day.
Personally remembrance doesn't have to mean you have to go to a cenotaph to defend it, the Police will do that, it's not worth risking your job so as an alternative, you can stand and remember wherever you are and don't do the manager any favours in the future.
The purpose of remembrance is for families, relatives, friends and comrades is to provide a focus of reflection.
Some ex serving may prefer to stay at home and remember in their own way.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.