ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Are managers getting worse?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by k979aaa »

Jpro747 wrote:The pressure coming down from the top is what turns them into scumbags. They are expected to cut rediculous hours every year and save save save, or get ushered out the back door. Becuase their given savings target is near impossible, they resort to tactics such as bullying, harrasment, and intimidation in order to meet the demands. Despite Royal Mail claiming they don't tolerate bullying and harassment, the business continues to ignore it. :cuppa
Well said it is the truth I would not do their job even though I could.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by arnold cheshire »

some days he moans when you cut off others hes fine
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Bishbashbbosh wrote:One day it will be a much easier process to get rid of all the bone-idle moaners that work for this company.
There is a process in place for that already, but managers won't use it. What makes you think they'll use another version.
Bishbashbbosh wrote:You get paid £10 an hours to deliver letters through a door and most of the staff are pretty poor at doing that.
Most - you've met them all, should I ask for an autograph from someone so famous. But if you grade people on evidence then you may form part of that group, as you missed the fact that RM sells it self as a Parcel company with a declining letters business. Pretty poor statement just based on facts.
Bishbashbbosh wrote:I'd love it if all you guys did a 9-5 factory job on minimum wage for a few weeks,
Been there done it, and worse. But that's not an excuse to accept crap, it's a reason to try to get them up to our level.
Bishbashbbosh wrote:where your breaks are judged by a buzzer and start from the minute you leave you're post and you have to ask for cover to take a toilet break.
As I said been there are done that and for 7 years not just a few weeks. Failure to seek improvement is a fault in business as it is in management or personal fulfilment. What is "you are" post - I think you meant your. Good job you're not paid on your English Language and Grammar skills. :wink:
Bishbashbbosh wrote: Grow up guys and realise that all Royal Mail want is a work force that are prepared to earn their money and not think don't think it's a god given right to have the easy life on a decent wage with good employee benefits/pension etc...
It may have escaped your attention but very few people moan about the wages, benefits or the fact that we get a pension (albeit less than originally promised) so not sure why you included them in your post.
Bishbashbbosh wrote:Oh and I forgot to mention that one day we may have more postmen that actually care about customer service instead of thinking it's a big laugh and a joke that the office will have loads of mail and parcels left in that customers won't be recieving on the day they should
Isn't that a resourcing problem, which if I am not mistaken falls within the sphere of managerial responsibilities. BTW we clear the office 99% of the time, don't you.
Bishbashbbosh wrote:Let the moaning commence about this post :)
Ok I bit, oh the shame of challenging someones assumptions. Woe is me

I agree there are time wasters, incompetents and chancers in the myriad ranks of OPGs, just as there are in Managerial roles, and they should be dealt with. But they are by no means most of the employees and it doesn't retract from it not being wrong to point out flaws or failings in any system. In fact its a right and a responsibility for all, and one which RM would do well to embrace to the fullest.

Even managers, at least the ones I have met, agree that the Managerial style, system and approach within RM is wrong, is it really so wrong for us to discuss those self same points during our own time.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Bishbashbbosh
Posts: 80
Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by Bishbashbbosh »

Agree with the system being terrible, but you don't hear new postmen/women moaning as much as the old because they appreciate the fact it is still a great job in the whole aspect of it. Many of the more senior ones just reminisce on the past, but a business can't continue as Royal Mail was. Some strange decisions from the powers that be but going in the right direction generally, just in a difficult period at the moment. Still think many should have more pride in giving a good service than they do though
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by spiderj »

Bishbashbbosh wrote:Agree with the system being terrible, but you don't hear new postmen/women moaning as much as the old because they appreciate the fact it is still a great job in the whole aspect of it. Many of the more senior ones just reminisce on the past, but a business can't continue as Royal Mail was. Some strange decisions from the powers that be but going in the right direction generally, just in a difficult period at the moment. Still think many should have more pride in giving a good service than they do though
Any that I've met that don't moan are scares for their jobs due to direct and indirect threats from the management...out of several who started at the same time as me only me takes a break...why's that?

As for giving a service.....nope its a job a simple trade of my time and skills for a wage...I have been in service positions before...and was never made to feel servile until I came to royal mail.

Yes I moan but I also meet those who I deem to be causing me to moan head on

What I don't do is feed trolls..,...think about it.
I won
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

Bishbashbbosh wrote:Agree with the system being terrible, but you don't hear new postmen/women moaning as much as the old because they appreciate the fact it is still a great job in the whole aspect of it. Many of the more senior ones just reminisce on the past, but a business can't continue as Royal Mail was. Some strange decisions from the powers that be but going in the right direction generally, just in a difficult period at the moment. Still think many should have more pride in giving a good service than they do though

We're moaning about management, not the job. RM pay me to deliver letter and parcels, which I do, and well above standard; but there are days when the targets aren't achievable, and it's on these days when management show their lack of sense. I don't class anything as my right. I'm paid to work and nothing else.
Bishbashbbosh
Posts: 80
Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
Gender: Male

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by Bishbashbbosh »

spiderj wrote:
Bishbashbbosh wrote:Agree with the system being terrible, but you don't hear new postmen/women moaning as much as the old because they appreciate the fact it is still a great job in the whole aspect of it. Many of the more senior ones just reminisce on the past, but a business can't continue as Royal Mail was. Some strange decisions from the powers that be but going in the right direction generally, just in a difficult period at the moment. Still think many should have more pride in giving a good service than they do though
Any that I've met that don't moan are scares for their jobs due to direct and indirect threats from the management...out of several who started at the same time as me only me takes a break...why's that?

As for giving a service.....nope its a job a simple trade of my time and skills for a wage...I have been in service positions before...and was never made to feel servile until I came to royal mail.

Yes I moan but I also meet those who I deem to be causing me to moan head on

What I don't do is feed trolls..,...think about it.
Those that cause you to moan... Well that would be yourself because there are plenty of other jobs out there if you really wanted to go and get one? I do wonder why all these moaners haven't done that by now...?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Bishbashbbosh wrote:
spiderj wrote:
Bishbashbbosh wrote:Agree with the system being terrible, but you don't hear new postmen/women moaning as much as the old because they appreciate the fact it is still a great job in the whole aspect of it. Many of the more senior ones just reminisce on the past, but a business can't continue as Royal Mail was. Some strange decisions from the powers that be but going in the right direction generally, just in a difficult period at the moment. Still think many should have more pride in giving a good service than they do though
Any that I've met that don't moan are scares for their jobs due to direct and indirect threats from the management...out of several who started at the same time as me only me takes a break...why's that?

As for giving a service.....nope its a job a simple trade of my time and skills for a wage...I have been in service positions before...and was never made to feel servile until I came to royal mail.

Yes I moan but I also meet those who I deem to be causing me to moan head on

What I don't do is feed trolls..,...think about it.
Those that cause you to moan... Well that would be yourself because there are plenty of other jobs out there if you really wanted to go and get one? I do wonder why all these moaners haven't done that by now...?
Perhaps because it takes more courage to stay and fight to improve the situation, than it does to give up and leave others to the mess they endorse because they won't attempt to make a change for the better. :hmmmm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by motherhubbard »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Perhaps because it takes more courage to stay and fight to improve the situation, than it does to give up and leave others to the mess they endorse because they won't attempt to make a change for the better. :hmmmm
Are there really people working at Royal Mail because they have made it their life mission to try and improve the management style?
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
Cyclopz
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
Gender: Male

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by Cyclopz »

I complain about a lot of the managers at work for three reasons.


One I still care about the job and the people I work with and don't like to see bullying of staff by management.

Two I don't like to see managers promoted because they are the uncle or cousin or brother of another manager.

And three because a lot of them are simply incompetent.

So I guess I had better resign and find another job.
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by Jpro747 »

motherhubbard wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Perhaps because it takes more courage to stay and fight to improve the situation, than it does to give up and leave others to the mess they endorse because they won't attempt to make a change for the better. :hmmmm
Are there really people working at Royal Mail because they have made it their life mission to try and improve the management style?
You spend a good chunk of your day at work, lifes too short to feel miserable during those hours so you can't blame them for trying to make it better for themselves.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

motherhubbard wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Perhaps because it takes more courage to stay and fight to improve the situation, than it does to give up and leave others to the mess they endorse because they won't attempt to make a change for the better. :hmmmm
Are there really people working at Royal Mail because they have made it their life mission to try and improve the management style?
:roll:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by spiderj »

Is bishbash saying we don't have the right to complain?

If you couple this with wtll,"coaching " ,the bullying,use of patrols as a weapon if you cut off or decline overtime and bag checks for the same reason....the paranoid would think its a bit of a strategy?

Strength through unity
Unity through faith?

Or are we all about to be assigned a number,already there with that.
Coupled with the recent report that alleges most sick time off is due to phycological reasons more that anctul physical wear and tear.

Is big brother here already?
Me I'll complain,and listen to folk moan about me as its better to discuss and be wrong as at least we can discuss.
And yes I've stood up for those who haven't or can't,I've helped a few folk out when they felt unable or unwilling to ask the current rep.

Bishbash I value your input even if it is a bit trollie,as it ignites discussion and though I believe your views are wrong I'd still fight for the right for you to express them.
I won
postslippete
Posts: 4201
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by postslippete »

1. Bad managers tell staff what to do
2. Good managers explain why they need to do it
3. Great managers involve the staff in the decision making


IMHO theres too many managers in the first category. Type 1 are usually Deputy managers or rookie young line managers. They are told what to do by the DOM and they try and carry this through to the staff, usually with a lot of grief and/or problems, because they have not explained why.

As for the type 2 manager. Why explain what we need to do when the business is hellbent on cutting costs and saving money? Well I would like to know, for example, why we needed a porter to clear down the mail when we lose a guy on walk sorting? We never had a porter before so how is this improving our office indoor efficiency?

Now the type 3 manager is a bit of a rarity. Involving staff in decision making. Lets start with the recent IWT (indoor work tool). As far as Im aware no staff were consulted in this exercise when it was drawn up. It was just a list of duties with times for prepping/sorting. Where was the consultation with staff over this?? This is perhaps what WTLL sessions should be used for and as far as Im aware are almost never used at all.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Gilly856
Posts: 41
Joined: 13 Nov 2014, 13:29
Gender: Male

Re: Are managers getting worse?

Post by Gilly856 »

Bishbashbbosh wrote:Agree with the system being terrible, but you don't hear new postmen/women moaning as much as the old because they appreciate the fact it is still a great job in the whole aspect of it. Many of the more senior ones just reminisce on the past, but a business can't continue as Royal Mail was. Some strange decisions from the powers that be but going in the right direction generally, just in a difficult period at the moment. Still think many should have more pride in giving a good service than they do though
You are right in most if not all of your observations, as ever you will belittled for having an opinion. The worst offenders are the admins who attack people verbally who don't sing from there own hymn sheet.
I also see the Dom's are not the real problem!