ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

POLL:Electronic clocking in machines

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

Would you welcome electronic clocking in machines?

Yes
255
69%
No
116
31%
 
Total votes: 371

Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Electronic clocking in machines

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Tman wrote:I wonder how many of those calling for clocking in machines have ever experienced them in working life? Sickness and absenteeism increases, and flexibility goes out the window. Can't be many clock-punchers who wouldn't swap to signing-in in a heart-beat.
Talk about sledgehammers to crack nuts... :silenced
Yes, I've known clocking in and out machines in previous employments.
I will work the hours I'm paid and expect to be paid the hours I work :thumbup so what possibly can be the problem ? :crazy:
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Electronic clocking in machines

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Could even use the ID badge to get it scanned by a PDA running a clock in/out app, as you come through the door.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Electronic clocking in machines

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Actually I am torn.

There are both benefits and drawbacks to clocking in machines for both individuals and the firm. At the moment I would have to say No I wouldn't welcome them without a full and comprehensive agreement between RM and the CWU, and voted on by members, that had protection written into it for genuine mistakes and oversights, and that also had a formal disciplinary section that couldn't be used as a tool for sacking or charging people without a genuine and overriding cause to do so.

So no - not without protection.

Yes - with protection and agreement but its a qualified yes.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16724
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Electronic clocking in machines

Post by clashcityrocker »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Actually I am torn.


Yes - with or without protection, :Very Happy
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Electronic clocking in machines

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Both :oops:

We are talking cricket aren't we.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Electronic clocking in machines

Post by fishtank »

Tman wrote: Sickness and absenteeism increases
Explain the correlation between clocking in and sickness and absenteeism please.
My curiosity is aroused. :hmmmm
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
GoingRoundTheBend
Posts: 108
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
Gender: Male

Re: Electronic clocking in machines

Post by GoingRoundTheBend »

fishtank wrote:
Tman wrote: Sickness and absenteeism increases
Explain the correlation between clocking in and sickness and absenteeism please.
My curiosity is aroused. :hmmmm
I know something became aroused after watching Natalie imbruglia :oops:
Rabray
Posts: 10
Joined: 30 Oct 2009, 09:29
Gender: Male

Re: Electronic clocking in machines

Post by Rabray »

It would sort out a few people in my office work till there time !!
Lamplite1c
Posts: 4
Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 18:28
Gender: Male

Re: Electronic clocking in machines

Post by Lamplite1c »

Please please please can they get them, ok I know I'm biased however in my previous job of 15 years I've swiped in and out, as a manager for asda it's a great tool for dealing with problem children persistent lates and " I'll clock early and do nowt", all swipes are paid provided your rotas were up to date and correct auto paid overtime once the manager had viewed the exceptions. I cant see it as a problem, now I am a postie I am forever forgetting to book overtime and once I do find the sheet to be filled in its a late claim where as with the swipe system swipe in and out then the manager just clicks the overtime into the right box done in seconds surely a good thing
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: Electronic clocking in machines

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

lylehillboonen wrote:
BarnsleyLackey wrote:
lylehillboonen wrote:
worktotime wrote:
lylehillboonen wrote:Interesting thread and the swipe cards pave the way for this scenario something that I don't think the cwu is strong enough to oppose......

Say your starting time is 0630 you swipe in at 0629 no problem you swipe in at 0630 no problem then you swipe in at 0631 and suddenly you are late ie just the same as phoning in sick. So this has serious implications re the attendance procedure and you don't need to be brain of Britain to work out that this is a real easy way for the company to get rid of people. We are a private company now!!
my last job you clocked in and out , if your start time was 6.00 and clocked in at 6.01 you got docked 15 mins pay . so you didn't start while 6.15 simple.
Yes and that's great that you just got docked 15mins but in a place I worked the late swipe meant a sick occasion!

What if you get to work on time, but there's a dozen people in a queue waiting to clock in as close to time as possible? Someone is going to be late through no fault of their own. It'll mean getting there 10-15 mins early and clocking in as soon or as late as you dare leave it.
It's clocking out that I want it for. I'm sick of hearing "Did you sign out?" when I tell the joker I was over and OT needs marking down, and, "Make sure you come back and sign out", after a ten minute chat about the reason I'm leaving a loop in.


No excuse if u have to be there 15 mins early to avoid a late then be there. Earthquakes, storms , power outages,snow, ice, cattle on the road etc are not valid excuses for late comers.....the swipe card is the rule! Now forget RM 2000!

Not talking excuses, just whatifs.
trevjim
Posts: 170
Joined: 05 Dec 2012, 20:04
Gender: Male

Re: Electronic clocking in machines

Post by trevjim »

Wow 68% at time of writing are in favour of it, and when you consider that reading the comments on here, some the 32% are not entirely against it, it speaks volumes....
Spy
Posts: 107
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 17:57
Gender: Male

Re: Electronic clocking in machines

Post by Spy »

enskied wrote:As we are paid to time it would be interesting to see how many of the runners and early starters would be clocking off at 1:20 as they do now.
1.20 pm ? Why so late ? Have they been doing overtime ?
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Re: POLL:Electronic clocking in machines

Post by CharlesSpooner »

There wouldn't have to be a queue at the clocking in machine or whatever. We have big scanners above the office door that can apparently detect test letters leaving or entering the building using a small chip planted in them. The technology to do the same with ID cards is hardly new and would also help with the large amount of staff who persistently don't carry their ID.

I'm all for it. If only for the sh***s and giggles.

I wouldn't count on an agreement between RM and the CWU being worth a bean - It will be the usual blah blah, agreed to further discussions, blah blah, trial, blah local agreements.