ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Voluntary Redundancy

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Deadly wrote:It is expensive for Royal Mail, but it's a short term financial pain for a long time financial gain by getting rid of mainly full time long serving staff with all the expensive perks they have. Perhaps Royal mail are for once planning for the long term rather than not looking further ahead than the next twelve months, which is what they normally seem to do.
Yes but "getting rid of mainly full time long serving staff with all the expensive perks they have" doesn't mean that newer employees will be on lower pay or without sick pay, holiday pay and pensions. :shock:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Stormproof wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Stormproof wrote:They done the VR exercise at my office before xmas. Everyone was given their figures but we've been told no VR's. Only buy down being offered.
Well it's worth looking at depending on your age and circumstances. Bearing in mind that should a vacancy occur full time after 2 years you could apply for it. It may be that the buy down gives you the opportunity to work overtime when you want it.
I'm taking buy down. Have been told you are not allowed to work o/t or any SA's otherwise you have to start paying buy down money back once you go over your hours (new thing??). Anyway I'll be happy to do my 25 hours and then stick my fingers up if they want me to go over :Very Happy
Very happy that RM are giving me money to start my own business from home :cuppa
Stormy,
Yes it probably is a new thing that one has to start paying buy down money back once you go over your hours because those I know that bought down many years ago have routinely been making their hours up "part to full" with overtime. :shock:
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by baldrick »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
Deadly wrote:It is expensive for Royal Mail, but it's a short term financial pain for a long time financial gain by getting rid of mainly full time long serving staff with all the expensive perks they have. Perhaps Royal mail are for once planning for the long term rather than not looking further ahead than the next twelve months, which is what they normally seem to do.
Yes but "getting rid of mainly full time long serving staff with all the expensive perks they have" doesn't mean that newer employees will be on lower pay or without sick pay, holiday pay and pensions. :shock:
It does if they are PT staff with pro-rata sick and holiday pay, pensions and less holidays with shorter service.
Even less if they are Angard temps.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by dvbuk55 »

Stormproof wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Stormproof wrote:They done the VR exercise at my office before xmas. Everyone was given their figures but we've been told no VR's. Only buy down being offered.
Well it's worth looking at depending on your age and circumstances. Bearing in mind that should a vacancy occur full time after 2 years you could apply for it. It may be that the buy down gives you the opportunity to work overtime when you want it.
I'm taking buy down. Have been told you are not allowed to work o/t or any SA's otherwise you have to start paying buy down money back once you go over your hours (new thing??). Anyway I'll be happy to do my 25 hours and then stick my fingers up if they want me to go over :Very Happy
Very happy that RM are giving me money to start my own business from home :cuppa
The no OT rule must be new there was no such stipulation when I took it 9 years ago. I was 59 and took my pension and the lump sum just 9 months later and didn't work overtime either, in fact the lump sum made up the difference between FT and PT salary for the 2 years! I briefly returned to FT when I did the CSS training but tbh at 65 I was too old to go back to four 10 hour nights and decided to revert after a fortnight. I found the buy down and PT hours gave me the opportunity to continue working beyond 65 and I retired on 28 December. Good luck with your business.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by Lounge Lizard »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Stormproof wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Stormproof wrote:They done the VR exercise at my office before xmas. Everyone was given their figures but we've been told no VR's. Only buy down being offered.
Well it's worth looking at depending on your age and circumstances. Bearing in mind that should a vacancy occur full time after 2 years you could apply for it. It may be that the buy down gives you the opportunity to work overtime when you want it.
I'm taking buy down. Have been told you are not allowed to work o/t or any SA's otherwise you have to start paying buy down money back once you go over your hours (new thing??). Anyway I'll be happy to do my 25 hours and then stick my fingers up if they want me to go over :Very Happy
Very happy that RM are giving me money to start my own business from home :cuppa
The no OT rule must be new there was no such stipulation when I took it 9 years ago. I was 59 and took my pension and the lump sum just 9 months later and didn't work overtime either, in fact the lump sum made up the difference between FT and PT salary for the 2 years! I briefly returned to FT when I did the CSS training but tbh at 65 I was too old to go back to four 10 hour nights and decided to revert after a fortnight. I found the buy down and PT hours gave me the opportunity to continue working beyond 65 and I retired on 28 December. Good luck with your business.
DVB,
It's a revelation to learn that you're only about 68. :nana
Some on here, mischievously or not, have been making out that you're much older than that. :no no
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by dvbuk55 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:DVB,
It's a revelation to learn that you're only about 68. :nana
Some on here, mischievously or not, have been making out that you're much older than that. :no no
You mean they think I'm 69? Actually I am 69 this year. Trouble is LL I only look 50, well by candlelight and a filtered lens :chuckle
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by krussel »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:DVB,
It's a revelation to learn that you're only about 68. :nana
Some on here, mischievously or not, have been making out that you're much older than that. :no no
You mean they think I'm 69? Actually I am 69 this year. Trouble is LL I only look 50, well by candlelight and a filtered lens :chuckle

DGP1 has told me all about your "69" antics in the naughty room. :nervous
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by dvbuk55 »

krussel wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:DVB,
It's a revelation to learn that you're only about 68. :nana
Some on here, mischievously or not, have been making out that you're much older than that. :no no
You mean they think I'm 69? Actually I am 69 this year. Trouble is LL I only look 50, well by candlelight and a filtered lens :chuckle

DGP1 has told me all about your "69" antics in the naughty room. :nervous
I've been waiting for 69 all my life now it's here I'm not limber enough :sad: Don't listen to DGP he's prone to exaggeration as many of the ladies found to their cost :wink:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by Lounge Lizard »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:DVB,
It's a revelation to learn that you're only about 68. :nana
Some on here, mischievously or not, have been making out that you're much older than that. :no no
You mean they think I'm 69? Actually I am 69 this year. Trouble is LL I only look 50, well by candlelight and a filtered lens :chuckle
Is that those scented candles I've heard of that have something of a hallucinogenic effect on those nearby ? :no no
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by dvbuk55 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:DVB,
It's a revelation to learn that you're only about 68. :nana
Some on here, mischievously or not, have been making out that you're much older than that. :no no
You mean they think I'm 69? Actually I am 69 this year. Trouble is LL I only look 50, well by candlelight and a filtered lens :chuckle
Is that those scented candles I've heard of that have something of a hallucinogenic effect on those nearby ? :no no
The scented candles are to disguise the inevitable odour of old person and cabbage - just a tip for when you get older LL , better start buying them now:chuckle
Rommagic
Posts: 1518
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 16:52

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by Rommagic »

Heard EVR has been withdrawn by the Cwu is this true?.In kent area
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72760
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Rommagic wrote:Heard EVR has been withdrawn by the Cwu is this true?.In kent area

Surely you mean Royal Mail. The CWU doesn't do EVR, it provides support, information and carries out discussions and negotiations with Royal Mail, but it can't withdraw EVR. :confused
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Patti-Ann
Posts: 68
Joined: 17 May 2014, 09:57
Gender: Female

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by Patti-Ann »

Rommagic wrote:Heard EVR has been withdrawn by the Cwu is this true?.In kent area
One of our union reps was in our office asking on Monday morning. Going round taking names of people interested.

I'm considering it so I've put my name on the list and I'll see what he comes back with :Very Happy
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by Nigel1505 »

"I'm considering it so I've put my name on the list and I'll see what he comes back with."


A pasty probably, if he is anything like our rep. :thumbup
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Voluntary Redundancy

Post by dvbuk55 »

Nigel1505 wrote:"I'm considering it so I've put my name on the list and I'll see what he comes back with."


A pasty probably, if he is anything like our rep. :thumbup
You have to feel sorry for them really it's called "Greggsitosis" and reaches almost all the way down. :chuckle