ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Thinking of quitting already
-
Sick Postie
- Posts: 91
- Joined: 12 Jul 2007, 20:51
- Gender: Female
- Location: Ulster
Re: Thinking of quitting already
It will get easier, when I first started I took painkillers for the first few weeks. Try wearing 2 pairs of socks, it does help the old feet.
The job is a shock to the system, there will be days you come home tired and soaked through but I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't quit after a bad day. Give yourself a chance to settle in and I mean a few months not just a couple of days. There will be people in your office happy to help you, others will make you wonder what you've let yourself in for.
Hang in there, once you're out on your own you'll feel better but make sure you claim your overtime.
The job is a shock to the system, there will be days you come home tired and soaked through but I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't quit after a bad day. Give yourself a chance to settle in and I mean a few months not just a couple of days. There will be people in your office happy to help you, others will make you wonder what you've let yourself in for.
Hang in there, once you're out on your own you'll feel better but make sure you claim your overtime.
-
jolly_postman
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 15:11
- Gender: Female
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Thank you everyone.
I have decided to stick at it. Going to speak to my DOM and work coach tomorrow about OT and make sure I get a break. I wore two pairs of socks today but apparently I won't get uniform or any decent shoes for ages. I understand the uniform but you'd think RM would make sure you were supplied with decent footwear from day one
I have decided to stick at it. Going to speak to my DOM and work coach tomorrow about OT and make sure I get a break. I wore two pairs of socks today but apparently I won't get uniform or any decent shoes for ages. I understand the uniform but you'd think RM would make sure you were supplied with decent footwear from day one
-
Tuffers1875
- Posts: 146
- Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
You did well to get paid before you've even done a weekjolly_postman wrote:Hey guys.
Had my second day on the job yesterday, today is my day off and I'm back in again tomorrow.
When I got home yesterday I was shaking with exhaustion and completely dehydrated. I am worrying now that this might not be the job for me, despite being SO excited about it before I started. A couple of things I'm wondering about - does it get any easier? I had 7 pouches of mail to deliver yesterday in 3.5 hours and as I'm not a driver A LOT of walking to collection boxes. My work coach walks at 100mph as well so I was basically running along to keep up with him and now my feet are swolen and I am hobbling along like an old woman. Another thing - he didn't stop for a drink or a break AT ALL so I found myself gasping for a drink and running on empty. I am contracted to finish at 1.30 but both times we finished at gone 2.30 and as we didn't tell anyone we thought we'd run over I don't get any OT for those hours (you'd think they'd allow new people an hour over?) to make matters worse I've just got my first wage slip though and it says 24 hours - Basic pay - £186, when it should be more like £218 if I'm on £9.10 an hour? Is it just a dodgy first pay slip?
Blah, so many questions! Let me know if I'm being unreasonable or wimpy!
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
We all get our contracted hours paid on the week we do them (getting Friday and Saturday in advance), it is only overtime that is paid a week in arrears.Tuffers1875 wrote:You did well to get paid before you've even done a week
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
The job is a massive challenge at the start as there's just so much to learn, besides the physical aspect, and so few people seem willing to help a newbie.
Having seen many new-starts come and go, often within just a short time of starting, I can see why many staff are reluctant to help them much because the general attitude is that they won't last long anyway so no point in going out of your way to waste your time helping them.
I do think that attitude sucks, but it does mean that once you've toughed it out for a while and proven that you're not just there for the quick thrill of the 'been-there-done-that' crowd, you should hopefully begin to find the job much easier, not just physically as the body adjusts, but in the office too.
I'd recommend sticking with it, certainly at least to give it a proper chance - I've had dozens of jobs in many fields in my decades before RM, and I love this job better than any previous - even with all the crud that comes with it!
Having seen many new-starts come and go, often within just a short time of starting, I can see why many staff are reluctant to help them much because the general attitude is that they won't last long anyway so no point in going out of your way to waste your time helping them.
I do think that attitude sucks, but it does mean that once you've toughed it out for a while and proven that you're not just there for the quick thrill of the 'been-there-done-that' crowd, you should hopefully begin to find the job much easier, not just physically as the body adjusts, but in the office too.
I'd recommend sticking with it, certainly at least to give it a proper chance - I've had dozens of jobs in many fields in my decades before RM, and I love this job better than any previous - even with all the crud that comes with it!
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Waiting for redundancies failing that any payoff I can get just like most who work for a living in royalmail some don't work in royalmail I can guess which one you fall into.wabbithunta wrote:k979aaa wrote:If I was the original poster I would get a proper job instead of working for these profit driven twats you will find out soon!
Sounds like someone wants to practice what they're preaching then...
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Honestly go to a shop a buy some lightweight trainers/running shoes you will be more comfortable. I used to think the YDS shoes were good but the sole on them doesn't cushion at all, and the alternative Anvils are like clogs.jolly_postman wrote:I understand the uniform but you'd think RM would make sure you were supplied with decent footwear from day one
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
You are supposed to get footwear as soon as you start ,due to safety considerations. Get some 1,000 mile socks from Mountain Warehouse /Cotswold Outdoor, or shop of similar ilk. They are expensive,however what price your feetjolly_postman wrote:Thank you everyone.
I have decided to stick at it. Going to speak to my DOM and work coach tomorrow about OT and make sure I get a break. I wore two pairs of socks today but apparently I won't get uniform or any decent shoes for ages. I understand the uniform but you'd think RM would make sure you were supplied with decent footwear from day one
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
norm wrote:Honestly go to a shop a buy some lightweight trainers/running shoes you will be more comfortable. I used to think the YDS shoes were good but the sole on them doesn't cushion at all, and the alternative Anvils are like clogs.jolly_postman wrote:I understand the uniform but you'd think RM would make sure you were supplied with decent footwear from day one
Been knee pain free for around 6 months after suffering for a good 2 years after a motorcycle accident...wore them shitty YDS trainers for 2 weeks and I was almost a cripple again, 2 days back in my trainers and touch wood the pain seems to have subsided.
Now if I slip and hurt myself i'm sure RM will say it's my fault for not wearing those shitty trainers!
-
senior man
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 19 Oct 2014, 17:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Theres one thing nobody seems to have mentioned here, overtime is voluntary you dont have to work past your finish time.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
That's true but on the initial interview it will have been mentioned that overtime may be necessary from time to time, which is fairly innocuous until you get the job and find out it's nearly every day.senior man wrote:Theres one thing nobody seems to have mentioned here, overtime is voluntary you dont have to work past your finish time.
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Being part-time I don't mind working over in fact I don't really count it as overtime until I get my hours up to that of a full timer and obviously I prefer indoor overtime
-
joeyuk
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 10 Jul 2013, 13:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking of quitting already
I'm the same. Only on a 30hr contract but lucky to have my own round which is fairly easy so take 1-3 loops extra a day until i get to 40 hours , most weeks i do less then the 40 hours im paid as the OT never takes as long as what i get paid for it. Love it when i get indoor OT as it really is easy money and means i dont have worry about going back out after.terry2972 wrote:Being part-time I don't mind working over in fact I don't really count it as overtime until I get my hours up to that of a full timer and obviously I prefer indoor overtime
-
jolly_postman
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 16 Oct 2014, 15:11
- Gender: Female
Re: Thinking of quitting already
Just wanted to update you guys - I'm sticking with it for the time being. I was out with a different work based coach on my 4th day and he seemed a lot more sensible and went slightly easier on me, then on Saturday I was out on my own. I only had half the bags but managed to get it all done with an hour to spare. Its my day off today (feet resting) and then tomorrow I suspect I'll be out on my own with the full load, wish me luck!