Some offices are deliberately understaffed to ensure there is plenty of docket for those lucky enough to be in employment.sussexlad wrote: But overtime is done as and when it's needed, RM would not employ more posties in the off chance that someone goes sick etc.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Overtime Rate???
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Overtime Rate???
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Overtime Rate???
£350 a week take home at £70 a daypiranha wrote:I've never understood this, we get about 70 a day after tax but if you work your day off you only get an extra 50 after tax! I don't do overtime since the revision
-
ysbrydtawel
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 111
- Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 20:57
- Gender: Male
- Location: South West
Re: Overtime Rate???
Certainly not the case with me - I'm on 20 hours. From 20 - 39 I get £9.62 an hour, then 39+ I get £9.87 for the first 10 hours, then it drops down to £9.27 for anything above 49 hours.Postie_since_1989 wrote:Yes but overtime rate is only paid after 39 hours, if you are p/t then any excess you claim for will be paid at normal rate until you exceed 39 hours.wacko74 wrote:Its not bleedin' worth it I know that much!
I'm on 20 hours a week and booked 1hr 30 mins extended last week... ended up coming out with only £7.00 more than a flat week!
We have a perfect record in aviation: we never left one up there.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Overtime Rate???
you are actually not getting an improved rate, you are getting paid the extra delivery supplement which takes it up to the £9.62 so that when you have worked 39 hours you have received the exact same as a FT member of staff including the delivery supplementysbrydtawel wrote:Certainly not the case with me - I'm on 20 hours. From 20 - 39 I get £9.62 an hour, then 39+ I get £9.87 for the first 10 hours, then it drops down to £9.27 for anything above 49 hours.Postie_since_1989 wrote:Yes but overtime rate is only paid after 39 hours, if you are p/t then any excess you claim for will be paid at normal rate until you exceed 39 hours.wacko74 wrote:Its not bleedin' worth it I know that much!
I'm on 20 hours a week and booked 1hr 30 mins extended last week... ended up coming out with only £7.00 more than a flat week!
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1538
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Overtime Rate???
You're correct, I was wrong before, but it also includes the Defined Area Supp pay as well.zx135 wrote:you are actually not getting an improved rate, you are getting paid the extra delivery supplement which takes it up to the £9.62 so that when you have worked 39 hours you have received the exact same as a FT member of staff including the delivery supplementysbrydtawel wrote:Certainly not the case with me - I'm on 20 hours. From 20 - 39 I get £9.62 an hour, then 39+ I get £9.87 for the first 10 hours, then it drops down to £9.27 for anything above 49 hours.Postie_since_1989 wrote:Yes but overtime rate is only paid after 39 hours, if you are p/t then any excess you claim for will be paid at normal rate until you exceed 39 hours.wacko74 wrote:Its not bleedin' worth it I know that much!
I'm on 20 hours a week and booked 1hr 30 mins extended last week... ended up coming out with only £7.00 more than a flat week!
That's me decided not to work any extra at Christmas then.
-
Godric
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 855
- Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 12:08
- Gender: Male
- Location: The Kingdom of Alba
Re: Overtime Rate???
after 39 hours it is about 20p above your normal hourly rates and below the normal hourly rates after 10 hours as somebody has already pointed outalanmc wrote:because you only 20 hrs you don't get ot rates till 39hrs have been worked so your getting your normall hourly ratewacko74 wrote:Its not bleedin' worth it I know that much!
I'm on 20 hours a week and booked 1hr 30 mins extended last week... ended up coming out with only £7.00 more than a flat week!
"Vi har haft århundraden av kärlek och tillit till varandra."
-
ratchet
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 03 Dec 2012, 13:12
- Gender: Male
- Location: Buggered off to France
Re: Overtime Rate???
Overtime appears to be constantly needed.sussexlad wrote:But overtime is done as and when it's needed, RM would not employ more posties in the off chance that someone goes sick etc.ratchet wrote:I agree that Overtime costs jobs, but overtime is a fact of life in the RM and they are massively benefitting from it as things currently stand.clashcityrocker wrote:Overtime costs jobs.Postaltony wrote:
After 10hrs overtime the rate is even lower.
The union negotiated this as well which I find astonishingly incompetent.
So while a certain amount of overtime opportunities still exists to allow people to earn an extra bit, this "incompetent" union put jobs before overtime.
RM don't get hit with a cost premium for posties who do overtime, so financially they are better off getting a smaller workforce to work longer hours at the rates overtime is paid at the moment.
Four posties working 10 hours overtime a week @ £9.87 per hour will only cost RM £395. However, if the posties were on time and a half it would cost RM £592............. but employing an extra postman to do the 40 hours would bring RM's costs back down to £395.
Obviously the above figures are simplistic as there are many other factors to be taken into account, but I believe posties doing loads of overtime at the standard rate is what is costing postmen their jobs.
Get the overtime rates up, and it will be more cost effective for RM to employ more posties.
There are many postings on this forum about posties on part time contracts who end up working full time hours (or more). Which plays right into RM hands because they only get paid their contracted hours when it comes to being on leave or off sick etc. In my own office posties are constantly pressured to work their days off due to a lack of cover. A few people go sick or leave, and then the brown stuff hits the whirly thing because there simply isn't enough cover. If overtime was to be paid at premium rates RM would make sure there was enough cover.
I'll try to take a sneaky peak at the overtime sheets in my office next Friday and report back on roughly how many hours of overtime are being claimed.
I am no longer a number :-)
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Re: Overtime Rate???
Ok some people need overtime don't we all sometimes so stop bloody moanin don't do it then simple cut off work to ur time , we're in this crap because people didn't do ther job properly ie take brake , ask for instruction , not rushin to get out . Rant over

"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Overtime Rate???
All this overtime stopping depots from failing horribly, covered by PTers doing very long days and/or coming in on days off (now they often work shorter working weeks), should be rewarded far more than just SSPR until they reach a 39hr FT contract week.
PTers should be getting extra holiday pay based on their average working week upto 39hrs as standard.
Why have RM been allowed to get away with just paying PT contract hours holiday pay for so long, especially now that most depots are struggling even more since their Deliery Methods (read "savings at any cost") revisions? A 22.5er for example regularly doing 30 hour weeks would really appreciate the extra ~£340 gross in their standard holiday wage packets, or ~£450 gross if they had purchased extra annual leave.
If RM want to squirm at all that extra wages being paid out, they should look at the farsical workloads they want us to believe are achievable in their own fairytale land everyday outside Xmas pressure.
PTers should be getting extra holiday pay based on their average working week upto 39hrs as standard.
Why have RM been allowed to get away with just paying PT contract hours holiday pay for so long, especially now that most depots are struggling even more since their Deliery Methods (read "savings at any cost") revisions? A 22.5er for example regularly doing 30 hour weeks would really appreciate the extra ~£340 gross in their standard holiday wage packets, or ~£450 gross if they had purchased extra annual leave.
If RM want to squirm at all that extra wages being paid out, they should look at the farsical workloads they want us to believe are achievable in their own fairytale land everyday outside Xmas pressure.
-
tiggle
- Posts: 135
- Joined: 19 Feb 2010, 20:44
- Gender: Female
Re: Overtime Rate???
mr hil. wrote:The overtime rate used to be time and half I think, but that was when the hourly rate was very poor and our pay was "boosted" by all sorts of additions (Driving, Saturday & Early shift allowances plus some others that I remember some people got that had been there years. Over time the union has "consolidated all these extra payments into your basic pay but the overtime rate only went up by each years percentage so has fallen behind the Time and a Half that we all fondly remember
(It could have been time and a quarter, my memory isn't quite as sharp as it used to be due to fatigue brought on by overworking on my delivery)
I remember when I started (15 years ago) a full time wage whilst on leave was about £150 without all the extra allowances
happy days, when I first started in 1996 I got £101.30 for a 24 hour week and I think full time was about £175 before tax.but you could add about another £30 for leaflets and overtime was easy and plentiful,2.5 hours for a second delivery and that worked out about a quid a letter,I'm drifting off the point but I do remember overtime was paid at a higher rate on Saturday,it was a six day week then