ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by OnAFlyer »

cyberheater wrote:
db wrote: Enjoy gettin a job where you actually have to work for your money ;-)
Ha ha. That's too funny. I've worked constantly from the moment I've signed in to the moment I've posted my last letter. No breaks. No time to chat. Just solid hard work. It's been the hardest physical work I've ever done.

Not to mention working in pissing rain, howling gales, thunderstorms, -17c in freezing fog, snow blizzards, treacherous ice etc... Times when in all honestly I expected the managers to say it's too dangerous to work out there but no. They allowed us to work in those conditions but said 'use your own discretion'. Weaselling barstuards.
No breaks......who's fault is that?

This job isn't difficult, yeah it's unpleasant sometimes but hard graft it ain't.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

cloherty1976 wrote:
postypie wrote:I know several lads in our office who have quit, or took evr etc over the years.....every single one to a man has said it was the best thing they have ever done....no regrets other than the fact they missed some mates and work banter....company not missed at all...nor the inept managers...one lad in particular left as he had had enough...started his own his own building company...and now employs several lads...he said leaving RM was the kick up the back side he needed...now has a social life, more time with his kids(own boss and all that),and looks forward to going to work.
i agree with this totally as if you hate your job so much you should have the drive to do something that you like.
But what about those of us who love the job, think its the best they have had, but despair at the mis-management from top to bottom, management who can't even stick to agreements (and in some cases even understand them) a lack of basic organisation, Union disconnection from the workers, and general pettiness that makes an uncomplicated job stressful for some.

Can we stay, complain and still enjoy the job, please. :chuckle I'd like to do my bit to make this a good job for everyone.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
cyberheater
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 274
Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 18:36
Gender: Male

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by cyberheater »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
cloherty1976 wrote:
postypie wrote:I know several lads in our office who have quit, or took evr etc over the years.....every single one to a man has said it was the best thing they have ever done....no regrets other than the fact they missed some mates and work banter....company not missed at all...nor the inept managers...one lad in particular left as he had had enough...started his own his own building company...and now employs several lads...he said leaving RM was the kick up the back side he needed...now has a social life, more time with his kids(own boss and all that),and looks forward to going to work.
i agree with this totally as if you hate your job so much you should have the drive to do something that you like.
But what about those of us who love the job, think its the best they have had, but despair at the mis-management from top to bottom, management who can't even stick to agreements (and in some cases even understand them) a lack of basic organisation, Union disconnection from the workers, and general pettiness that makes an uncomplicated job stressful for some.

Can we stay, complain and still enjoy the job, please. :chuckle I'd like to do my bit to make this a good job for everyone.
I think you've outlined the major issues with the job. The actual job of posting letters is okay. On a nice sunny day with the wind behind you it's a very nice job... Once you get out the office.

It was the management that killed it for me. I honestly think that some of these managers shouldn't just be sacked. They should be in the dock for the way they treated us and the emotional harm they created. The fact that middle management employ people of that calibre talks volumes of the culture embedded in this organisation.

When I think about the amount of times I've worked over. Or worked my day off at short notice to help them out. And as soon as you ask them a favour it's an instant no. Most ungrateful bunch of barstewards I've ever had the misfortune to work for. Managers possessed of almost zero people skills and whose sole primary task is to get the mail out and delivered irrespective of the harm and pressure it causes to their employees. The way they ignore their health and safety obligations I believe borders the criminal.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by maisymoo04 »

Let all the fannys leave can't handle it,legs killin me, backs killin, get up to early,hate management,hate union,best thing ever done etc , my god get a life now uve all left you can stay off this forum coz you hate it so much don't you :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo!
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
jifjoe
Posts: 8
Joined: 20 Dec 2010, 02:49
Gender: Male

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by jifjoe »

I started at 16! Almost 6 years on... I actually love this Business! I want it to succeed, I want a future! I've done a few roles from postman, collections, callers, mail centre, deputy manager, line manager, support manager and worked my way up from there. All I can say is its hard on both halves of the fence. But now I've found my ideal job where I do some facilitation and engagement. But I would gladly take a pay cut to keep my job! Its not just a job, it a commitment!

Yes I do understand it can be hard work! Having to ask a member of the public to turn the key on my pouch box, because my hands were so cold I couldn't physically turn it... were you had so much in your bag it would snap the strap and you would be screwed for the rest of your duty, with your quick fix tied strap... Having paint thrown on me in a rough estate because i didn't have a customer parcel that day... But I wouldn't change the experiences i've had, It allows me to show empathy with front-line staff.

:nana LONG LIVE ROYAL MAIL!
tigercat
Posts: 76
Joined: 23 Sep 2010, 15:01
Gender: Male

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by tigercat »

The above comment must be a wind-up. ;liar
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by Judgee »

jifjoe wrote:I started at 16! Almost 6 years on... I actually love this Business! I want it to succeed, I want a future! I've done a few roles from postman, collections, callers, mail centre, deputy manager, line manager, support manager and worked my way up from there. All I can say is its hard on both halves of the fence. But now I've found my ideal job where I do some facilitation and engagement. But I would gladly take a pay cut to keep my job! Its not just a job, it a commitment!

Yes I do understand it can be hard work! Having to ask a member of the public to turn the key on my pouch box, because my hands were so cold I couldn't physically turn it... were you had so much in your bag it would snap the strap and you would be screwed for the rest of your duty, with your quick fix tied strap... Having paint thrown on me in a rough estate because i didn't have a customer parcel that day... But I wouldn't change the experiences i've had, It allows me to show empathy with front-line staff.

:nana LONG LIVE ROYAL MAIL!

Remember kids... DON'T TAKE DRUGS!!!!! :no no
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
thechemisyshop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 156
Joined: 09 Oct 2011, 20:33
Gender: Male

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by thechemisyshop »

i have worked in a mail centre and on delivery ,, the difference is like day and night ,, working in a mail centre is easy , you know your start and finish times ,, regular paid overtime ,, dry conditions ,canteen ,toilets ,, delivery ,, basically none of the above ,, and a manager chewing at your heels to do more and more ,, bullied and harrassed to the point of breakdown ,,now we are getting told ,, we are going to rape your pension , privatise you , and you will only get 3 years protection after the sale ,, oh and dinnae go on strike or we will withhold £300 of your own pay rise if you go on strike to disrupt the sale ,, when it is privatised the most cuts will be management and in mail centres first , see how smug some people are then :wave rant over :nervous
jifjoe
Posts: 8
Joined: 20 Dec 2010, 02:49
Gender: Male

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by jifjoe »

No love here then, all in the same boat. I just decide to look at the positive aspects of work.
SF
Posts: 183
Joined: 12 Nov 2009, 23:30
Gender: Male
Location: Midlands.

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by SF »

I joined 5 years ago. The job was decent up until the 5th year. Now it's a complete joke.

Management manage to genuinely shock me every week by doing something even more ridiculous than the level of ridiculousness the previous week.

In fact, managers are the only friggin problem. They are just clueless lying bullies. And I've dealt with about 40 over the 5 years. Only 2 were decent.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

2 abusive posts deleted and 1 which quoted one of them

Please remember everyone is welcome on this site. Customers, CWU Officers, Royal Mail Managers, all Royal Mail employees, the General Public, the press,and even MPs, so please do not resort to abuse if people of a different political persuasion or viewpoint to you, post on a thread.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by clashcityrocker »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:2 abusive posts deleted and 1 which quoted one of them

Please remember everyone is welcome on this site. Customers, CWU Officers, Royal Mail Managers, all Royal Mail employees, the General Public, the press,and even MPs, so please do not resort to abuse if people of a different political persuasion or viewpoint to you, post on a thread.
But this one remains?

Masked
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

clashcityrocker wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:2 abusive posts deleted and 1 which quoted one of them

Please remember everyone is welcome on this site. Customers, CWU Officers, Royal Mail Managers, all Royal Mail employees, the General Public, the press,and even MPs, so please do not resort to abuse if people of a different political persuasion or viewpoint to you, post on a thread.
But this one remains?

masked
:oops: :oops: :oops: Missed it cheers - Human error
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
barongreenback
Posts: 13
Joined: 19 Jul 2011, 15:02
Gender: Male

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by barongreenback »

jifjoe wrote: job where I do some facilitation and engagement.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Bye bye RM. You'll not be missed. I finally quit.

Post by krussel »

jifjoe wrote:No love here then, all in the same boat. I just decide to look at the positive aspects of work.
That's fair comment actually. :hmmmm

Your other post was a bit "sugary" TBH which is why you got the bad response. There still are some good aspects working for RM compared with other jobs. There are far worse out there for less money. Trouble is those of use who have been around for a while have been lied to so many times now and seen the job decline. Hence the negative views.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........