ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Racist 'Banter'

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Racist 'Banter'

Post by hampshireman »

Tman wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/

Go down half way and there's a piece titled "Big Jock" about Jock Stein. I'm so offended at this clearly racist comment, and from the BBC too. You really must be so devastated at this blatant racism, so keep arguing the toss Fishy if it makes you feel all liberal and warm inside. I'd rather keep a sense of perspective than look for problems, but there you go.... :shhhhh
Very good.

And the sense of perspective is what? Where are your boundaries?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Racist 'Banter'

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Tman wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/

Go down half way and there's a piece titled "Big Jock" about Jock Stein. I'm so offended at this clearly racist comment, and from the BBC too. You really must be so devastated at this blatant racism, so keep arguing the toss Fishy if it makes you feel all liberal and warm inside. I'd rather keep a sense of perspective than look for problems, but there you go.... :shhhhh
Jock Stein was called Jock, not because he was Scottish but because his first name was John.
Jock is widely used as a nickname for John, and represents an everyman - literally a John or Jane Doe,
and that a BBC quote as well http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8094716.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mind you a lot of unintentional irony has crept into this thread since you started posting TMan.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Racist 'Banter'

Post by fishtank »

Tman wrote:Go down half way and there's a piece titled "Big Jock" about Jock Stein.

He was big and his name was Jock.
If a piece about Jock Stein had been titled "Little Frank" it would have been slightly confusing to the reader..
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
brothermagrew
Posts: 3015
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 16:38
Gender: Male
Location: Shares a border with England to the south.

Re: Racist 'Banter'

Post by brothermagrew »

Employers have both a legal and moral responsibility to make clear that making racial slurs and insults is not part of the working environment and that such behaviour is unacceptable both to the recipients and the wider workforce. Such harassment in the workplace may constitute unlawful racial discrimination with serious consequences for both the person doing the harassing and his/her employer.

There is no hard and fast definition of racial harassment. It is a general term covering a wide range of unacceptable and often unlawful behaviour. But there are other, subtler forms of harassment that are equally distressing and that can create an intimidating and unpleasant atmosphere at work: racist ’jokes‘, banter, insults, taunts, gibes, literature and graffiti; shunning people because of their race, colour, nationality or ethnic background; excluding them from conversations; making racist insinuations; being condescending or deprecating about the way they dress or speak; picking on them unnecessarily; and so on.

• Racial harassment is unwanted conduct of a racial nature, or other conduct based on race affecting the dignity of women and men at work.

• There are no excuses for racial banter and abuse at work. There can be no degree of acceptability.

• All staff should receive training in what employers mean by unacceptable behaviour at work.


Employers have a duty to ensure that all staff, whatever their ethnic origin, can expect equal conditions of work in an environment that is free from humiliation and intimidation and in which their performance, career prospects and job satisfaction are not affected by racial
prejudice, discrimination and harassment.

Employers who ignore this duty have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Productivity levels will drop as good employees are unable to give their best to the organisation. Some employees will vote with their feet and take their skills elsewhere. Others will stand up for their rights and
make complaints, going as far as taking poor employers to industrial tribunals, with all the negative publicity this can bring.
"Today’s workplace has become heartless and soulless. Employees are seen as units of labour, automatons, functionaries, objects for achieving designated tasks, and as costs to be minimised."
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Racist 'Banter'

Post by Tman »

He was big and his name was Jock.
If a piece about Jock Stein had been titled "Little Frank" it would have been slightly confusing to the reader..
Good enough, so as long as the nickname is physically accurate, it's OK? Are you sure about that?

Jock Stein was called Jock, not because he was Scottish but because his first name was John.
And of course, he'd still be called "Jock" had he been born in Abingdon or Aberdare, wouldn't he? :roll: Do you two even know the point you're attempting to make any more, or or will it be the usual ever-increasing obfuscation routine again..?
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Racist 'Banter'

Post by hampshireman »

Tman wrote:
He was big and his name was Jock.
If a piece about Jock Stein had been titled "Little Frank" it would have been slightly confusing to the reader..
Good enough, so as long as the nickname is physically accurate, it's OK? Are you sure about that?

Jock Stein was called Jock, not because he was Scottish but because his first name was John.
And of course, he'd still be called "Jock" had he been born in Abingdon or Aberdare, wouldn't he? :roll: Do you two even know the point you're attempting to make any more, or or will it be the usual ever-increasing obfuscation routine again..?
Can you answer me?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Racist 'Banter'

Post by fishtank »

Tman wrote:
He was big and his name was Jock.
If a piece about Jock Stein had been titled "Little Frank" it would have been slightly confusing to the reader..
Good enough, so as long as the nickname is physically accurate, it's OK? Are you sure about that?
I'm interested although a little confused as to where you're going with this but do carry on.
Is Wee Willie Winkie next?
He was wee although i'm not sure if Willie Winkie was his name or a physically accurate description.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Racist 'Banter'

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Tman wrote:
Jock Stein was called Jock, not because he was Scottish but because his first name was John.
And of course, he'd still be called "Jock" had he been born in Abingdon or Aberdare, wouldn't he? :roll: Do you two even know the point you're attempting to make any more, or or will it be the usual ever-increasing obfuscation routine again..?
You were quoting me but as you snipped the main point of my post you misrepresented what I posted, that is disingenuous, pathetic and argumentative, it was certainly not debating.

I used your BBC quote and mine to point out why he was called Jock and that in THAT instance it was not racist, nothing more or less than that.

So what's your point for being so antagonistic or have you as always dismissed my posts because you dislike me or my role so much.

To be honest because your posts are so dismissive of any views you don't agree with, and your debate style so turgid your posts are fast becoming irrelevant to any discussion which is why I haven't responded to any of your traps recently. The reason I broke my self imposed exclusion is this time I thought you were up for a discussion but I was wrong.

I do have one question why make it so personal, can't you debate without a put down. I would rather have a discussion with a EDL/BNP supporter than engage in a thread with you. Is it really debate or an exchange of views when I feel the need to self censor what I post because of the way you make twist it.

I think I know how you'll respond "what me, your are too......", if so, it'll just confirm all my preconceptions of you.

Actually I wish Postman would let me use 1 rule, I'll let you work out which one.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: Racist 'Banter'

Post by Stella102 »

this racist banter seems prominent in most offices. We had a similar issue recently however the one being racist was the manager.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2060
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Racist 'Banter'

Post by scoobydo79 »

chickenwittle wrote:is john terry a postie now then

Well He aint a football player :chuckle
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Racist 'Banter'

Post by Tman »

You were quoting me but as you snipped the main point of my post you misrepresented what I posted, that is disingenuous, pathetic and argumentative, it was certainly not debating.
Still using the "you snipped me" ploy, I see?
I highlighted the part I was replying to; the ridiculous statement that he was called "Jock" only because his name was "John". Clearly cobblers, as it isn't a Welsh, Irish or English thing to do. Nothing misrepresented there.
I used your BBC quote and mine to point out why he was called Jock and that in THAT instance it was not racist, nothing more or less than that.
Other than it was continuing the point that one of Fishy's innocent and unknown listening bystanders may have had their delicate sensibilities compromised by hearing someone referred to in a way which highlighted their ethnicity? So which way should it be then?
No "racist" terms to be used at all, or a more measured and individual approach to this on-going problem?
So what's your point for being so antagonistic or have you as always dismissed my posts because you dislike me or my role so much.
And there's the other of your usual well-worn drums. Move on, eh?
To be honest because your posts are so dismissive of any views you don't agree with, and your debate style so turgid your posts are fast becoming irrelevant to any discussion which is why I haven't responded to any of your traps recently. The reason I broke my self imposed exclusion is this time I thought you were up for a discussion but I was wrong.
I think I know how you'll respond "what me, your are too......", if so, it'll just confirm all my preconceptions of you.


So then I can't point out that's actually you (in the above post of yours) who's personalised the thread? Confirmed, then.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Racist 'Banter'

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Ah well I was hoping for a mature debate even though I did get angry. TMan with your style of Debate you ruin discussions, you wont change and I wont change. Perhaps we can both reflect on that, but then reflection is a tactic you use very well.
Tman wrote:
You were quoting me but as you snipped the main point of my post you misrepresented what I posted, that is disingenuous, pathetic and argumentative, it was certainly not debating.
Still using the "you snipped me" ploy, I see?

I highlighted the part I was replying to; the ridiculous statement that he was called "Jock" only because his name was "John". Clearly cobblers, as it isn't a Welsh, Irish or English thing to do. Nothing misrepresented there.
Yes I am using the snipped ploy because my statement on its own is ridiculous, with the whole quote it shows that he was called Jock because he was Scottish and called John, Jock being the Scottish version of John. If you snip anyones post you still have to apply the original context - you didn't and I therefore stand by the other part you and I quoted.

Back into obscurity and irrelevancy for both of us I think. :wave :wave
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.