PorkPie wrote:Personally I find the LWT particularly helpful ... takes all the weight off your joints and cannot understand why people dig their heels in and refuse to use them ... prefer to push it myself rather than pull and invariably have a bag on each side, one for the mail and one for the packets ... take as many packets in the bag as possible to keep the large packet delivery from the van in between loops to a minimum.
I do acknowledge that if you have a street where it's possible to walk across the frontage of houses rather than up and down a garden path then it would slow you down and prove a bit frustrating but to me it's still an improvement on carrying a 16kg (+) bag on your shoulder
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Trolleys???
-
fng
- Posts: 462
- Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolleys???
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
-
Jynxx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 198
- Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 16:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolleys???
I'm personally finding lwts quite troublesome, the duty I currently do is mainly up and down steep streets dragging one of them behind and its causing me to twist my back. I am curious about any long term studies (if any) they have conducted regarding using them in this manner. I've never had any back problems using a bag on shoulder, now im waking up in the morning my lower back is killing me and im having trouble turning.
-
harrymortimer
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 23 Mar 2009, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolleys???
My experience is that, like with most things concerning RM these days, LWTs are nothing more than an exercise in arse-covering. We have daily reminders on dogs and the dangers they pose, yet nothing is ever said about people using trollies. Has anyone, anywhere ever been formally disciplined for not using one? Certainly not in our office.
We've just had a revision put in, supposedly timed for the use of trollies, my feeling is that they know the vast majority of people won't use them, and the timings reflect that. I would always say to colleagues to do the job as you're supposed to do it, take breaks, use proper equipment, don't cut corners etc, very hard to though when you're in the small minority that do and you're constantly been harassed into doing lapsing, cutting o/t, and having your performance questioned. All with very little union support.
We've just had a revision put in, supposedly timed for the use of trollies, my feeling is that they know the vast majority of people won't use them, and the timings reflect that. I would always say to colleagues to do the job as you're supposed to do it, take breaks, use proper equipment, don't cut corners etc, very hard to though when you're in the small minority that do and you're constantly been harassed into doing lapsing, cutting o/t, and having your performance questioned. All with very little union support.
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolleys???
The LWT has been dreadful on my joints. I don't know if it's a question of one size not fitting all, or simply because I'm a fool, but ever since we've started using them, I've had pain in my knees, and have felt continually exhausted. I would love to think this is because I'm fat, old, lazy and unfit, but frankly I am none of those things. I can cycle for miles, do weights thrice a week, and am plenty young enough to not suffer any ill effects. To be honest I have the impression that I'm slightly too tall to be dragging it along. I'm only 6 feet but I always seem to be stretching a bit much. Is that me being foolish? Perhaps my arms are too short.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolleys???
There is always the tendency to bend the rules though whatever the agreed method is. I distinctly remember carrying 6 pouches down to my car in the early 90s, sometimes in the lift but if it wasn't readily available then down two flights of stairs. I hardly ever weighed a pouch unless it was making my knees buckle - usually to find it weighed closer to 35 kilos than 16 and the reason for it..................job and finish, chasing time, places to go people to see whatever you like to call it. With the advent of the demise of job and finish I can't see any reason not to use the equipment and take as much time as necessary to do the job properly.
Oh and the price I paid for being an idiot...............a knackered knee.
Oh and the price I paid for being an idiot...............a knackered knee.
-
ballee
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 14 Nov 2007, 19:21
Re: Trolleys???
Just saw a postie today with his LW trolley hanging out of the boot of his car, when he got to his delivery he filled it up from his car. Classic case of shooting yourself in the foot.
-
Glenn AFCB
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 10 Sep 2012, 18:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolleys???
Call me stupid but why would anyone carry bags on their shoulders instead of using a trolley? Talk about asking for back problems! I love my trolley, one bag for mail, one bag for parcels - simples!! Also i find it much easier to pull rather than push. I can pull it along barely using a finger and thumb whereas if you push it its likely to hit something and jam straight into you're stomach. Maybe it helps that i have short legs! Come on people why struggle when you can use a trolley?
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3363
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolleys???
I love my LWT and I wish more of my duty was suited to it. Someone borrowed our van on Saturday and dumped the trolley in the office which I didn't notice until we got out there. Luckily it was light and I split the bags, but even with a light bag my shoulders tense up to stop it slipping off. With the trolley I really feel a lot better - excepting the occasional strain in the arm from yanking it in frustration when it tips over or the wheels catch on something.
The machine stops.
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1535
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolleys???
So they can finish early, doesn't matter that they'll probably pay for it later in life.Glenn AFCB wrote:Call me stupid but why would anyone carry bags on their shoulders instead of using a trolley?
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolleys???
Or even on time.Hitcher wrote:So they can finish earlyGlenn AFCB wrote:Call me stupid but why would anyone carry bags on their shoulders instead of using a trolley?
Or even late...but not as late as they would have been with a trolley.
This business and some of the guys that work in it are a mind f**k.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
monkeyhanger1
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 25 Oct 2013, 08:14
- Gender: Male
Trolleys???
Is anybody having shoulder problems with the golf trolleys. I'm currently awaiting investigation for severe shoulder pain and possible nerve pain due to lifting and pushing a loaded golf trolley on my delivery .
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolleys???
Spot on.Glenn AFCB wrote:Call me stupid but why would anyone carry bags on their shoulders instead of using a trolley? Talk about asking for back problems! I love my trolley, one bag for mail, one bag for parcels - simples!! Also i find it much easier to pull rather than push. I can pull it along barely using a finger and thumb whereas if you push it its likely to hit something and jam straight into you're stomach. Maybe it helps that i have short legs! Come on people why struggle when you can use a trolley?
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Trolleys???
Some of the new bags we got sent to our office didn't even have clips on for the L/W Trolleys
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Trolleys???
Doing weights cycling for miles as well as the job thats going to make you exhausted.taurus88 wrote:The LWT has been dreadful on my joints. I don't know if it's a question of one size not fitting all, or simply because I'm a fool, but ever since we've started using them, I've had pain in my knees, and have felt continually exhausted. I would love to think this is because I'm fat, old, lazy and unfit, but frankly I am none of those things. I can cycle for miles, do weights thrice a week, and am plenty young enough to not suffer any ill effects. To be honest I have the impression that I'm slightly too tall to be dragging it along. I'm only 6 feet but I always seem to be stretching a bit much. Is that me being foolish? Perhaps my arms are too short.