Tee-hee - agreed.fishtank wrote:These guys don't sound that slow to me.A few of the slow posties have never even touched parcels,We were made to do some of them.
I love the attitude from certain individuals that slowness (in terms of speed as opposed to dexterity of thought) makes an individual a (and I quote) "slow piss taking c*nt". We all work at different speeds. It sounds to me like the slower individuals have got exactly the right idea. Go at your own speed, whatever gets done gets done. Running around and trying to finish early is a moron's game. If you've got too much work and not enough time then great, that's the perfect situation to be in instead of racing against the clock. As a relative newcomer to Royal Mail, I have been able to get over a few of the old-fashioned ideas fairly quickly. The major one is the idea of time pressure. It's a concept I no longer take into account. There is no time pressure for me because the latest I am prepared to finish is 1.50pm - my finish time. If there's too much work then great, I have the luxury of not having to deal with that. The other major one is the idea that you are your own boss. This relates intimately to the idea of 'job and knock'. Royal Mail are slowly ironing out the extent to which you are personally micro-managing your work. Admittedly, they are doing it to their own detriment because their ideas to combat this are frankly ludicrous. But we, as the workforce, should embrace their stupid ideas and use their stupidity against them. They are not our friends and will happily throw you hither and thither and spin you along like a good old-fashioned marionette. If you give them your time for free, they'll take it back with interest - literally. If you run around and do the same amount of work twice as quickly, they'll make you run twice as far.
The best way to deal with it is to go at half the speed and do half the work, then go home. And forget about it. The job is sh*t, any sense of job security is dead in the water, and there's little to no point in taking personal affront to anything that happens to you. Play them at their own game until they shoot you in the back. If you're stupid enough to keep playing along then enjoy taking the licks that go with it. I see enough stupid people working for Royal Mail and I pride myself in being one of the not-so-stupid ones. Even more so because I'm not stupid enough to let on that I am anything more than stupid.