ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
-
sheff postie
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 131
- Joined: 04 Feb 2011, 22:01
- Gender: Male
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
like i said muffin take the job with the agency then if you like the job apply to RM and it will probaly stand you in good sted that you have worked for RM before. LIke most of the others have said most of us like the job we do or we would leave and not many leave, we just like to moan alot 
-
muffingg
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 07 Feb 2011, 15:52
- Gender: Male
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
I don't mind doing it, but I don't know if I'll have to travel very early in the morning and to where/how far I'll have to go from my home (Streatham, London) to collect it and then how exactly it works with the distribution. Will I have to drive/by public transport (how far?) from the office to the street or how does that work?sheff postie wrote:like i said muffin take the job with the agency then if you like the job apply to RM and it will probaly stand you in good sted that you have worked for RM before. LIke most of the others have said most of us like the job we do or we would leave and not many leave, we just like to moan alot
-
malcolm3011
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 05 Aug 2010, 18:42
- Gender: Male
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
I wouldn't even consider it, try and get a less stressful jobmuffingg wrote:Sorry, I'm using this forum for the very first time and don't know if I'm in the right category.
What's it like to work as a Royal Mail postman? I would like to know if it would be suitable for a 19 year old male who doesn't have a car.
Will I have transport difficulties?
How early will the work begin / will I have to wake up?
Living in London, how far will I have to travel?
What is your opinion about working for Royal Mail? How stressful, how much enjoyment, how difficult, any benefits, why to take this over a supermarket role?
Thanks.
-
skull
- Posts: 450
- Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
Totally agree , if you get in a half decent office and you are prepared to work hard you might find it's a decent job .LukeyBoy wrote:Personally I tend to agree with Taurus/RedBagMan I *shock* really enjoy my job i've only been with the RM for a year maybe I'll grow to hate it but at the moment It's fine.Just keep your head down,get on with,and have a laugh on the way you wont go much wrong there's worse jobs fo sure.
If you like being out in the fresh air , want to keep fit and want your working time to go fast you will be ok .
A lot on here are p*ssed off because Royal Mail have asked them to work all the hours they are paid for
Last edited by skull on 07 Feb 2011, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
-
skull
- Posts: 450
- Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
Remember most people will post on here because they are unhappy , to get more balanced opinions you would be better asking posties you meet in the street .
-
cyclemech1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
- Gender: Male
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
I may be wrong, but I don't think your application will be considered by Royal Mail as you haven't got a driving licence.sheff postie wrote:like i said muffin take the job with the agency then if you like the job apply to RM and it will probaly stand you in good sted that you have worked for RM before. LIke most of the others have said most of us like the job we do or we would leave and not many leave, we just like to moan alot
Go onto the RM website http://www.royalmail.com/jobs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and fill in the online form for any vacancy (if there is one) I'm sure that one of the first questions is whether or not you have a driving licence. If you answer 'no' it says 'your application cannot be considered', or it did a few months ago when a mate of mine applied!
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
If your looking to just fill in a gap year and earn a bit of money for not a lot of responsibility then go for it as i cant see what you have to lose.
If you find it too hard then just tell the agency "nope", i dont think its far of the bottom anyway.
If you give it a go and find you like the great outdoors then it may be worth applying to RM direct.
If you give it a go and find you like the great outdoors then it may be worth applying to RM direct.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
If you want a job at Royal Mail apply direct as you will get better pay. ie bonus, holiday pay, sick pay (after 12 months), pensions and other allowance.
Royal Mail job is not a bad job but it is full of politics and changes. It is very physical demanding job and I would recommend you to look at colleges course to learn a proper trade ie electrician, nursing, bricklaying, plumbing, decorating.
The bright side is you meet people, nice dogs, see pretty ladies in nightie (if you are lucky enough), getting tips at Christmas, offer of drinks in hot day or very bad cold day, and keep you fit and help you lose weight.
The Downside is nasty dogs, rude people, changes, ridicous workload, tough to get your own walk, full time job are getting more rarer.
It is ok for a job but not for a career.
Royal Mail job is not a bad job but it is full of politics and changes. It is very physical demanding job and I would recommend you to look at colleges course to learn a proper trade ie electrician, nursing, bricklaying, plumbing, decorating.
The bright side is you meet people, nice dogs, see pretty ladies in nightie (if you are lucky enough), getting tips at Christmas, offer of drinks in hot day or very bad cold day, and keep you fit and help you lose weight.
The Downside is nasty dogs, rude people, changes, ridicous workload, tough to get your own walk, full time job are getting more rarer.
It is ok for a job but not for a career.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
Get an apprenticeship or something that will improve your working life over time.
Working for the Royal Mail is like being a vampires bitch, you're just there for your bosses to suck the life out of whenever they feel peckish!
The job is dead end and mind numbingly boring.
If you really must work for the RM and have no other options, at least go for a processing job as deliveries are just get regularly shafted by the Management and the union. Processing get payrises for doing nothing extra and sit in a nice warm office eating cakes all day long!
<waits for the backlash to hit>
Working for the Royal Mail is like being a vampires bitch, you're just there for your bosses to suck the life out of whenever they feel peckish!
The job is dead end and mind numbingly boring.
If you really must work for the RM and have no other options, at least go for a processing job as deliveries are just get regularly shafted by the Management and the union. Processing get payrises for doing nothing extra and sit in a nice warm office eating cakes all day long!
<waits for the backlash to hit>
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
skull
- Posts: 450
- Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
[quote="Judgee"]
The job is dead end and mind numbingly boring.
Yes go and work in a factory or on Tescos check out because that's riveting . We can't all be astronauts or sports stars . The only time I look at my watch is to weigh up what time I'll get finished . I find being a postie far from boring . My previous job I was on £12.00 per hour plus benefits , if they asked me to come back tomorrow I'd turn them down , but each to their own . Anybody thinking for working for RM should get out and about and ask posties on the street because reading this forum you can't get a balanced view .
The job is dead end and mind numbingly boring.
Yes go and work in a factory or on Tescos check out because that's riveting . We can't all be astronauts or sports stars . The only time I look at my watch is to weigh up what time I'll get finished . I find being a postie far from boring . My previous job I was on £12.00 per hour plus benefits , if they asked me to come back tomorrow I'd turn them down , but each to their own . Anybody thinking for working for RM should get out and about and ask posties on the street because reading this forum you can't get a balanced view .
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
I've worked in Factories and even in Tescos for a while skull... perhaps thats why I suggest he goes for an apprenticeship maybe? huh what ya think doh!
These forums are just as balanced as asking any postie on the street... or do you no longer have a different opinion to me?
You may love the job and the changes that management have brought in. Personally, I like many others would prefer a reasonable daily work load over a hard slog any day of the week.
What ever way you look at it, it is a dead end job and anyone young enough to find an alternative would be far better off out of it!
These forums are just as balanced as asking any postie on the street... or do you no longer have a different opinion to me?
You may love the job and the changes that management have brought in. Personally, I like many others would prefer a reasonable daily work load over a hard slog any day of the week.
What ever way you look at it, it is a dead end job and anyone young enough to find an alternative would be far better off out of it!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
muffingg
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 07 Feb 2011, 15:52
- Gender: Male
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
That's a good comment really. Thanks for that. It actually gave both sides. Do you seriously get to see pretty women in nighties? If so, how often? That's quite interesting lool! JK.Darren Bent wrote:If you want a job at Royal Mail apply direct as you will get better pay. ie bonus, holiday pay, sick pay (after 12 months), pensions and other allowance.
Royal Mail job is not a bad job but it is full of politics and changes. It is very physical demanding job and I would recommend you to look at colleges course to learn a proper trade ie electrician, nursing, bricklaying, plumbing, decorating.
The bright side is you meet people, nice dogs, see pretty ladies in nightie (if you are lucky enough), getting tips at Christmas, offer of drinks in hot day or very bad cold day, and keep you fit and help you lose weight.
The Downside is nasty dogs, rude people, changes, ridicous workload, tough to get your own walk, full time job are getting more rarer.
It is ok for a job but not for a career.
-
wiganpostie
- Posts: 670
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
- Gender: Male
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
I saw an old woman in her bra and knickers ironing her clothes through a window one day. Does that do it for you? 
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
muffingg wrote:Do you seriously get to see pretty women in nighties? If so, how often?
We dont see as much totty un-dressed as we used to because we are out much later
As you are young it will be the single mothers on the esates who you will need to watch out for. I had one follow me down the road last year all soapy and just in a short towel waving a docket, they have no embarrassment factor.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
skull
- Posts: 450
- Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: What's it like to work as a Royal mail postman?
[quote="Judgee"]I've worked in Factories and even in Tescos for a while skull... perhaps thats why I suggest he goes for an apprenticeship maybe? huh what ya think doh!
Can't agree more .
[quote="Judgee"]
These forums are just as balanced as asking any postie on the street... or do you no longer have a different opinion to me?
No way is this forum balanced . People will always make the most noise if they are unhappy . Customer complaints departments of the most sucssessful and respected businesses will always deal more with people who have a complaint than people who are happy . People posting on this forum 90% unhappy if you go out on the street I would say something like 50/50 . That's just my opinion .
[quote="Judgee"] You may love the job and the changes that management have brought in. Personally, I like many others would prefer a reasonable daily work load over a hard slog any day of the week.
I used to love my job but since the changes I can only say I like it . If most of us accept we can only do what we can only do and RM have the right for it's staff to work the hours they are paid for , you will find things much easier . People coming in to RM don't no any different and might wonder what all the fuss is about .
Can't agree more .
[quote="Judgee"]
These forums are just as balanced as asking any postie on the street... or do you no longer have a different opinion to me?
No way is this forum balanced . People will always make the most noise if they are unhappy . Customer complaints departments of the most sucssessful and respected businesses will always deal more with people who have a complaint than people who are happy . People posting on this forum 90% unhappy if you go out on the street I would say something like 50/50 . That's just my opinion .
[quote="Judgee"] You may love the job and the changes that management have brought in. Personally, I like many others would prefer a reasonable daily work load over a hard slog any day of the week.
I used to love my job but since the changes I can only say I like it . If most of us accept we can only do what we can only do and RM have the right for it's staff to work the hours they are paid for , you will find things much easier . People coming in to RM don't no any different and might wonder what all the fuss is about .