Personally, I just wanted to make sure that he'd done that (the forms, licence check, etc.), and was therefore covered. There have been cases, where people haven't done it at all, or regularly enough. And have got into trouble. I personally think that no-one should have to use their own car. But if they choose to, and have all the paperwork sorted. Then it's their choice, after all. I just don't want a comparitively new Postie, who might not know about the correct procedure, getting caught out, as a result.chrisj wrote:I dont understand the hell & brimstone over the insurance and papers.
Postmen have been using their cars for absolute ages as far as I was informed. We submit our licence, MOT is checked, we filled a form every year and Royal Mail provides additional insurance... Yes, perhaps we should all declare that we use our cars for work to the insurance company...
I was hit recently on my way back from work and the issue of whether I use my car for work was not relevant...
Anyway, these are hard times, and if you want the job you cannot go in and start rocking the boat - note, new posties have a 6 months or even longer probabation period.
There are not enough bikes for every psotman, fact; and nothing will be done about that given that we are all moving to vans anyway and the fact that bikes are held by established postmen,s ome that are now OPGs or even drivers... There are broken bikes that dont get fixed quickly enough... And the idea that you can always demand you have the right equipment is laughable.
Old Postie can go around like they own the place and the manager are scare of some of them but they would not hesitate to bully a new/pt postmen.
A lad just started as a 24 hour and he does not drive so he has been found a bike but life has been tough for him all round. His round is not preped up completely, sometimes less than 60%, bag drop venues dont even exist on some rounds because they have been done by cars for a long time, bad drop points become congested due to more than one postman using the bag drop (it happened to the fella), and his bags aresometimes dropped by the managers (erratically and often delayed) because the drivers are long gone before he even starts.
My manager delivered packets in his own car over christmas because he is tight with overtime payment and he has lost support of a whole load of postmen when it comes to favours because he shows not loyalty or consideration...
Things are the way they are in some offices and very often it is the fault of the established staff and weak union (nowadays).
The are some people here blaming PTers for coming in early and working for nothing.
But the fulltimers in my office never work together when we decide that people should come in on time and work their hours. People are self-fish and self-serving and some are creeps with managers which suits the divisive management. The way to get ahead for a new and part time staff/postman is to offer themselves for all sorts and ingratiate themselves with management and the cliques.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
one of our posties delivers packets on docket in his car
-
andy2007
- Posts: 3971
- Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: Earth
Re: one of our posties delivers packets on docket in his car
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
it's just another outlook on Reality!
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: one of our posties delivers packets on docket in his car
I use my car for work, the RM bond covers you for conveying mail to your delivery and also storing mail in it whilst there.
However I am 99.9% certain that it does NOT cover you for delivering as per this thread, that requires different insurance, as instead of just carrying mail to your delivery and storing it, you are doing multi drop courier work.
I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure i'm not.
However I am 99.9% certain that it does NOT cover you for delivering as per this thread, that requires different insurance, as instead of just carrying mail to your delivery and storing it, you are doing multi drop courier work.
I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure i'm not.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72773
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: one of our posties delivers packets on docket in his car
AFAIK you are correct - however just to reiterate that your car is not covered under the RM bond, only the mail you are carrying and whatever you hit is . Your own car is not covered that's why you need business insurance.OnAFlyer wrote:I use my car for work, the RM bond covers you for conveying mail to your delivery and also storing mail in it whilst there.
However I am 99.9% certain that it does NOT cover you for delivering as per this thread, that requires different insurance, as instead of just carrying mail to your delivery and storing it, you are doing multi drop courier work.
I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure i'm not.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: one of our posties delivers packets on docket in his car
Ok, I agree that new posties need to know whats what and stay out of trouble. However, in my place, the managers hassle you for your papers; and unless you deliberately lie or provide false papers you should be covered.
Like I said, I hate using my car but the alternative is just not attactive to me. I can use a cheap car and get round whereas I will suffer using a bike especially since I am not that gung-ho about my cycling anyway and then there is the distance and traffic and bag drops and returns - it is ridiculous. Add being a floater on top of that and wanting to return to do a bit of overtime, cycling is just not good for me.
If Royal Mail employyes follow all rules re: Health & Safety and driving within speed limit and safely then not a lot will done in the time frame provided. Not that I agree but that is the situation as I find it...
Like I said, I hate using my car but the alternative is just not attactive to me. I can use a cheap car and get round whereas I will suffer using a bike especially since I am not that gung-ho about my cycling anyway and then there is the distance and traffic and bag drops and returns - it is ridiculous. Add being a floater on top of that and wanting to return to do a bit of overtime, cycling is just not good for me.
If Royal Mail employyes follow all rules re: Health & Safety and driving within speed limit and safely then not a lot will done in the time frame provided. Not that I agree but that is the situation as I find it...
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: one of our posties delivers packets on docket in his car
No offence Chris but work isn't that attractive to me full stop...i guess that's why they call it work and pay me for it rather than fun time or something like that and pay me nothing.chrisj wrote:I hate using my car but the alternative is just not attactive to me. I can use a cheap car and get round whereas I will suffer using a bike especially since I am not that gung-ho about my cycling anyway and then there is the distance and traffic and bag drops and returns - it is ridiculous.
You sound like one of my kids...
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: one of our posties delivers packets on docket in his car
Whatever happened to the "No cars on delivery"..............Oh yes it is when the delivery methods revision takes place and the delivery method is either HCT or P&L but definitely no car.................now that makes you wonder why there seems to be so many "self starter" revisions.......would that be because it doesn't involve methods and so it's more of the same old same old.
-
andy2007
- Posts: 3971
- Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: Earth
Re: one of our posties delivers packets on docket in his car
Almost certainly! That's why I said that I don't think anyone should have to use their own cars. And that RM have an OBLIGATION to provide the equipment and transport for you to complete your Duty without using your car. But sadly, they're ducking their responsibilities. So if someone CHOOSES to use their own car. Then although I think it's extremely unwise, it is after all their own choice to do so. Just make sure that all the paperwork is up to date, and you stay within the restrictions of the Bond. Or pay for your own Business Insurance.
But surely, it's better to (with the help of your Reps) get your DOM to get off his/her arse, and fulfil their obligations. So it isn't neccessary for you to have to pay, to do your job.
But surely, it's better to (with the help of your Reps) get your DOM to get off his/her arse, and fulfil their obligations. So it isn't neccessary for you to have to pay, to do your job.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
it's just another outlook on Reality!
-
guvenor
- Posts: 493
- Joined: 20 Dec 2007, 16:58
Re: one of our posties delivers packets on docket in his car
i would sack every one of them for using their own car rm would if it was a 20yr ft memberdvbuk55 wrote:Whatever happened to the "No cars on delivery"..............Oh yes it is when the delivery methods revision takes place and the delivery method is either HCT or P&L but definitely no car.................now that makes you wonder why there seems to be so many "self starter" revisions.......would that be because it doesn't involve methods and so it's more of the same old same old.
arn,t mgmt breaking h/s issues regards 2010 agreement and why are union not jumping on this
wheres acas now
-
The Enemy
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:08
- Gender: Male
Re: one of our posties delivers packets on docket in his car
Anybody who uses their own car is a mug.
RM Bond - 3rd party only. So you have an accident and write your car off, what are you going to do?
The ones who do it without completing the Royal Mail Bond paperwork or without the own Business Insurance, I hope you get caught, fined and then sacked by the same managers who you're trying to gain brownie points off.
You're also destroying the job for the other people who DON'T use their cars, because management won't understand why they appear to take longer to do the delivery than someone who uses their car. You're traitors to your own workmates.
RM Bond - 3rd party only. So you have an accident and write your car off, what are you going to do?
The ones who do it without completing the Royal Mail Bond paperwork or without the own Business Insurance, I hope you get caught, fined and then sacked by the same managers who you're trying to gain brownie points off.
You're also destroying the job for the other people who DON'T use their cars, because management won't understand why they appear to take longer to do the delivery than someone who uses their car. You're traitors to your own workmates.