ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

postal bill

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: postal bill

Post by Stormproof »

I'd write to my MP but can't because his office burnt down this morning Image
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
smokerjim
Posts: 1921
Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 22:27
Gender: Male
Location: In a corner, thinking "I've picked a bad week to give up smoking..."

Re: postal bill

Post by smokerjim »

Stormproof wrote:I'd write to my MP but can't because his office burnt down this morning Image
It's a conspiracy, a conspiracy, I tells ya!
I don't suppose your mouth bleeds every 28 days, does it?

Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
jockstrapp
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 970
Joined: 28 Mar 2009, 17:58
Gender: Male

Re: postal bill

Post by jockstrapp »

Stormproof wrote:I'd write to my MP but can't because his office burnt down this morning Image
Was he in it at the time. :left: :left: :left:
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: postal bill

Post by Stormproof »

jockstrapp wrote:
Stormproof wrote:I'd write to my MP but can't because his office burnt down this morning Image
Was he in it at the time. :left: :left: :left:
Unfortunately not, it was at 4am and he was probably tucked up somewhere in London. Only a week until the 5th November :whistle
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: postal bill

Post by dvbuk55 »

The second reading was always going to go through, true and so will the bill go through. There is very little to stop it except NOT being able to find a buyer willing to pay the price, just like last time. Mandelson was looking for a hefty wedge for 49% and perhaps on reflection maybe that would have been the lesser of two evils - at least the Government would have held a controlling share and that in itself was reason enough for the big boys not to purchase. This time however they have been quite shrewd, no Post Offices, No pension deficit and a total sell off with a revisited look at the terms and conditions in 18 months and a get out clause in terms of loans in case of insolvency - IMO a licence to print money which the tax payer will underwrite................I think there'll be plenty of takers when the time comes.
2leftfeet
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Sep 2007, 20:43

Re: postal bill

Post by 2leftfeet »

Things will get a hell of a lot worse unless we defeat these plans.
Isn't that what i pay my subs for,are you saying the CWU won't be up to the job?
smokerjim
Posts: 1921
Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 22:27
Gender: Male
Location: In a corner, thinking "I've picked a bad week to give up smoking..."

Re: postal bill

Post by smokerjim »

2leftfeet wrote:
Things will get a hell of a lot worse unless we defeat these plans.
Isn't that what i pay my subs for,are you saying the CWU won't be up to the job?
The union ( any union ) is it's own membership - the principle is if the membership won't fight ( or expects that paying the weekly sub is enough ) then the union can't fight...

...however, on a more generic level, going on what has happened in the last 4 years, we're screwed :sad: :sad:
I don't suppose your mouth bleeds every 28 days, does it?

Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: postal bill

Post by fishtank »

smokerjim wrote:
2leftfeet wrote:
Things will get a hell of a lot worse unless we defeat these plans.
Isn't that what i pay my subs for,are you saying the CWU won't be up to the job?
The union ( any union ) is it's own membership - the principle is if the membership won't fight ( or expects that paying the weekly sub is enough ) then the union can't fight...

...however, on a more generic level, going on what has happened in the last 4 years, we're screwed :sad: :sad:
I agree with you Jim....up to a point.
A union is nothing without it's membership but without proper organisation the membership is just a list of names on a database.
Members should not expect HQ to fight there battles but they do pay their subs to ensure that the battle is properly thought through and not the charge of the Light Brigade or even worse.......capitulation. :nervous
So your right going on recent experience....we're screwed. :sad: :sad: :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: postal bill

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:
smokerjim wrote:
2leftfeet wrote:
Things will get a hell of a lot worse unless we defeat these plans.
Isn't that what i pay my subs for,are you saying the CWU won't be up to the job?
The union ( any union ) is it's own membership - the principle is if the membership won't fight ( or expects that paying the weekly sub is enough ) then the union can't fight...

...however, on a more generic level, going on what has happened in the last 4 years, we're screwed :sad: :sad:
I agree with you Jim....up to a point.
A union is nothing without it's membership but without proper organisation the membership is just a list of names on a database.
Members should not expect HQ to fight there battles but they do pay their subs to ensure that the battle is properly thought through and not the charge of the Light Brigade or even worse.......capitulation. :nervous
So your right going on recent experience....we're screwed. :sad: :sad: :cuppa
How odd! I barely felt a thing :whistle The sad thing is the membership would fight, the leadership won't and now can't. Take the latest campaign against privatisation :silenced
Big Daz
Posts: 5668
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: postal bill

Post by Big Daz »

The government are not for turning on this, CWU can campaign to its heart content but it will not lead to the withdrawl of the PSB. The only hope is that CONDEM MP's will rebel in sufficent numbers. The final PSB will be different to the one being debated as amendments will be debated and accepted/voted in as happened with the previous PSB. I imagine more safeguards will be put in place to calm back bench CONDEM MP's and they will then keep voting yes. Change of shareholder will not be dropped, but how the associated issues are dealt with may well be fine tuned.

Im halfway through reading the transcript and allready I see suggestions from backbench CONDEMS for fine tuning the PSB and no doubt that will lead to ammendments being tabled.


I also notice Labour (John Denham) are not opposed to private capital and are suggetsing that could be achived without a equity stake being taken on by the private sector.
The FraudSquad
Posts: 171
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:04

Re: postal bill

Post by The FraudSquad »

The FraudSquad wrote:emailed soubry, she wont reply cause im outwith her constituency....but it will rankle with her and she will know that we are watching and waiting to displace her next time...390 majority no way she will survive

fair play she did actually reply, however..............

"Thank you for your email.

I had a long and informative meeting with the local branch of the CWU back in September. I made it clear that my priorities were to ensure the universal service and the jobs of postal workers, notably at the Beeston sorting centre. I am very pleased that our proposals for the future of Royal mail will achieve both of those goals. Yesterday two other members of the CWU came to lobby me in Westminster and I met them before they had a meeting in Westminster Hall. I asked them to come back so I could show them around Westminster but unfortunately they were unable to.

I have had many cards from constituents about the future of the Royal Mail, a campaign organised by the CWU by way of a street stall in Beeston. Yesterday an un beknown to me when I made my intervention in the chamber of the House of Commons, I received about 30 “round robin” letters from postal workers in my constituency.

700 people work at the Beeston centre. If the majority of them, as was being claimed, are opposed to the sale of Royal Mail they will no doubt make their views clear to me when I visit the sorting office. I was invited by the two men who came to lobby me yesterday and I had no hesitation in accepting their invitation.

I think the mistake you make is in not appreciating we all want to secure the future of Royal Mail – that includes the pension fund and of course the jobs and livelihoods of the people who work for it.

The last Labour Government intended to do pretty much the same as the Coalition Government in selling Royal Mail – except our proposals are better!

Thank you for contacting me"

With best wishes

Anna
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: postal bill

Post by dvbuk55 »

The last Labour Government intended to sell 49% and keep a controlling interest so she is gilding the lily a bit ;liar
terrace
Posts: 154
Joined: 01 Jun 2007, 18:32

Re: postal bill

Post by terrace »

Concerning Anna Soubry.I emailed her and got a reply,surprised since I don't live in her constituency.She say's she has had frank discussions with local union reps.
She says she has received no petition,only postcards with incomplete addresses.Since she has received no obvious communication in the form of a petition or any other written media in regard to privatisation from the Beeston mail centre workforce,the only conclusion she can draw is that local workforce are not opposed to privatisation.