ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by Judgee »

Cheap shot? No just pointing out the hypocrasy of many union reps who say one thing and do another :wink:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by Phantom »

Mr Blonde wrote:
smelly_cat_lady wrote:Don't you have conveyance then and how do you cover the much already discussed insurance issue??
We used to have a number of crew buses but over the years they were used less and less because it's easier to take the car and go straight home.
Do you take all your mail with you? and if so why?
CUT OFF!!!
robinhood
Posts: 89
Joined: 04 Mar 2008, 07:55

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by robinhood »

Judgee wrote:Cheap shot? No just pointing out the hypocrasy of many union reps who say one thing and do another :wink:
Same reps who put their jobs on the line representing ungrateful members
Richie89
Posts: 151
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 23:10
Gender: Male

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by Richie89 »

Office I work in is pretty central, so the vast majority get conveyed to the start of their delivery and walk/bus it back or sometimes get a lift with the driver. Theres a few flyers about that you see sticking 6 bags in the boot but most do the job properly.

Ive been on loan to a larger neighbouring office on an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere, about a mile from the nearest walk, so I can see both sides of the argument. This office was about 5 miles from my house and the walk I was on was about half way, so I took my first bag out in the car, parked up, did the walk from drop boxes and went straight home. If I had got a lift out I would have had to walk back to office to pick up my car, not the drivers job to return people to the office. About 3/4 of the people in this DO either did the same as me or took out everything in the car.

Apologies to the whiter than white on here but it made the job so much easier for everyone, and I wasnt taking work away from the drivers.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by Judgee »

robinhood wrote:
Judgee wrote:Cheap shot? No just pointing out the hypocrasy of many union reps who say one thing and do another :wink:
Same reps who put their jobs on the line representing ungrateful members
No I think you'll find the reps I am talking about most definitely do not put ANYTHING on the line. There are good reps out there granted, but also many many bad ones... or do you think they are ALL squeaky clean and selfless? Believe in Father Christmas too by any chance?
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by krussel »

Judgee wrote:
robinhood wrote:
Judgee wrote:Cheap shot? No just pointing out the hypocrasy of many union reps who say one thing and do another :wink:
Same reps who put their jobs on the line representing ungrateful members
No I think you'll find the reps I am talking about most definitely do not put ANYTHING on the line. There are good reps out there granted, but also many many bad ones... or do you think they are ALL squeaky clean and selfless? Believe in Father Christmas too by any chance?
When election time comes around why dont you stand yourself and show the rest how to be a good rep :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
pickaname
Posts: 1467
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 20:24

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by pickaname »

NWpostie wrote:I believe if the whisper is right, my Office will probably close soon along with other Offices and be merged into a super out of town delivery office with parking spaces for all the CDVs, all will be going out on delivery in them and back.
This is the rumour ive been hearing.

Many smaller DO's will be merged into super hubs.

This is the real reason for P&L / CDV.

Its so people can travel out to deliveries much farther than on a cycle and do much more work in 4x10 hr days.

Beware of Royal Mails secret agenda. They wont ever you what theyre really planning.
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by not me »

well lets throw my scenario up
I start on time,take my breaks,finish on time
i didnt do this before when job & finish was in.just like the rest of my office

we are now relocated to an industrial estate
we are park n loop
duties are large
no duties near the office bar the one delivering to the industrial estate

so today im one part of a P&L pair
i have the easy duty of the two
the other is a bitch of a duty
I tell the guy on that i am happy to P&L and do his duty first and cut my own if required(it would be)
he agrees and we get on with getting the duty up
later I speak tot the lino with regard to not completing/time issues and again state i will not be working over
I then get the X can do it,Y can do it
of course x and y come in early,dont take breaks,do D2D's in their own time etc but it gives thel ino an axe to grind

so he then goes and speak s to the other guy and convinces (B&H to me) him to agree to work over and instructs me to complete my duty 1st
so we P&L up to our finish time. i stop and the other guy wants to work on.
if i wanted to i could just do my duty on my own and finish early (its a decentish walk among the crap ones) but I P&L to show how its not working
the point is to try and get others to wake up to whats going on
even after the 2010 yes vote we still only have maybe 1/4 taking a break
over 50% coming in early
many working over every day
i work to my time every day.thats it.
the manger today was saying 'Im just trying to help you'. I informed him i required no help,simply that the duty should be capable of being completed with P&L ,breaks,making D2D's up etc on the majority of days
(i accept the odd humper of a day will occur)
people need to see the bigger picture
when P&L comes in you will have a van to get back to the office
so the car can sit there till you need to drive home
robinhood
Posts: 89
Joined: 04 Mar 2008, 07:55

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by robinhood »

Judgee wrote:
robinhood wrote:
Judgee wrote:Cheap shot? No just pointing out the hypocrasy of many union reps who say one thing and do another :wink:
Same reps who put their jobs on the line representing ungrateful members
No I think you'll find the reps I am talking about most definitely do not put ANYTHING on the line. There are good reps out there granted, but also many many bad ones... or do you think they are ALL squeaky clean and selfless? Believe in Father Christmas too by any chance?
Father Christmas is real my DOM says so.
Know a lot of reps that have been almost sacked for being reps, spent hours on picket lines, hours on keep the post public campaign, hours trying to support labour in last elections,hours writing letters and researching agreements and laws.
Most in their own time
All this to be dismissed by cheap jibes
happy motoring
ashadd
Posts: 605
Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 20:20
Gender: Male

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by ashadd »

WOW....!!!!! This park and loop thingy is really going to be an eyeopener for some...you can see it now, the car user who wants to make a couple hours paired up with someone who does the job how it should be done...fisty cuffs or what ???? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I married my wife for her looks, but not the one she gave me when i said i was going to be a postman.
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by not me »

ashadd wrote:WOW....!!!!! This park and loop thingy is really going to be an eyeopener for some...you can see it now, the car user who wants to make a couple hours paired up with someone who does the job how it should be done...fisty cuffs or what ???? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I see it every day
we have vans for all duties now
yet some still take their cars out
they just dont get it/see it
Mr Blonde
Posts: 337
Joined: 23 May 2007, 20:44

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by Mr Blonde »

Richie89 wrote:Office I work in is pretty central, so the vast majority get conveyed to the start of their delivery and walk/bus it back or sometimes get a lift with the driver. Theres a few flyers about that you see sticking 6 bags in the boot but most do the job properly.

Ive been on loan to a larger neighbouring office on an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere, about a mile from the nearest walk, so I can see both sides of the argument. This office was about 5 miles from my house and the walk I was on was about half way, so I took my first bag out in the car, parked up, did the walk from drop boxes and went straight home. If I had got a lift out I would have had to walk back to office to pick up my car, not the drivers job to return people to the office. About 3/4 of the people in this DO either did the same as me or took out everything in the car.

Apologies to the whiter than white on here but it made the job so much easier for everyone, and I wasnt taking work away from the drivers.
A common sense post, showing how the issue varies from office to office. I wish more people would try to understand that there are different circumstances in different offices.

Our old office used to be great for biking out to deliveries, although at the time there wasn't the sheer weight of mail / number of pouches but being in this location really does make a difference.
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by Phantom »

Yes but are you working from your car? ie storing all the mail in boot?
CUT OFF!!!
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by POSTMAN »

Image
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Mr Blonde
Posts: 337
Joined: 23 May 2007, 20:44

Re: Cars on delivery / flyers / job and finish etc

Post by Mr Blonde »

Phantom wrote:Yes but are you working from your car? ie storing all the mail in boot?
I have two pouch boxes on my delivery.

The point I'm making though is that we have colleagues roundly jumping on others without giving any thought to the differing circumstances that they may have to face.