ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Union rep being dom support?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Union rep being dom support?

Post by 97gaz »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
28 Feb 2021, 10:59
cpsteve wrote: ↑
28 Feb 2021, 09:43
Conflict of interests id say not that ive heard of such a thing as dom support.
It's an admin role that goes back to the old days when everything was paper based and the DOM was more hands on with the actual supervision of the operation.

In this day and age with the number of line managers floating around and the fact that everything is just a click away on the system it's laughable that it's still a job to "support" a delivery office manager.

The management and support structure in most delivery offices is probably the most bloated and inefficient area of the business (as well as being incredibly ineffective).

Businesses outside RM would piss themselves laughing if they knew.
I was Dom Support for about the last ten years and did the job ad-hoc even before that. I would argue that the workload has gone up many fold since the days when we used to just use paper. There is just so much crap to do now that it wasn't unusual to spend two or three days on one task alone. Take the recent PSP V RCS issue where they weren't matching up nationally. I spent a week on that alone and now it's just one more task that has to be done weekly.

We had a DOM and LM in an office of 80 people and daily one of them was at some meeting or other. I was part time DS but the DOM has been trying to make it FT for years. It was a busy job mainly because I was the first person they came to for a delivery when people called in sick.That meant that what DS work I had to do just kept backing up all the time.

Incidentally I was also rep while I was Dom Support. I had already been the rep once and swore I would never do it again but I was approached by the some of the lads and asked to take it on again. I did for a short while and packed it in for the same reason as I did the first time. Members of staff trying to use the Union to get at other members of staff they didn't like.

But, as I said. It is not managerial or supervisory. That's a managers job.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Union rep being dom support?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

My point was not what the DOM Support does but that it should really be done by management.

Yes the business has managed over the years to put layers and layers of mostly pointless processs in place to try to science the s**t out of this job and that has increased the apparent administrative workload in the office but that doesn't justify DOM support it just makes the whole thing even more bloated.

Most modern businesses are constantly looking to streamline and simplify their internal processes. I've watched this business over the years turn the relatively simple idea of delivering something from A to B into something that NASA would consider over engineered.

Having said that £12 an hour plus delivery supplement for an admin job is a pretty sweet deal if you can get it so good luck to you guys.
Only dead fish follow the current
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Union rep being dom support?

Post by 97gaz »

x
Last edited by 97gaz on 01 Mar 2021, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Union rep being dom support?

Post by 97gaz »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
01 Mar 2021, 11:25


Having said that £12 an hour plus delivery supplement for an admin job is a pretty sweet deal if you can get it so good luck to you guys.
Nice dig. When I took it on the DS work was probably about an hour a day. Other than that I had a delivery to prep and deliver, drop off all the bags and then do all the town packets. The DS work just got more and more every year.