ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Economy mail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Manboat
Posts: 172
Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16
Gender: Male

Re: Economy mail

Post by Manboat »

Yeh lots of us do this with d2d now anyway, will see how things work out I suppose
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Economy mail

Post by wacko74 »

Most of the junk mail is DSA so I can see this making much difference.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Economy mail

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Alexei wrote: ↑
23 Dec 2020, 21:27
I can see a future where this is implemented with packet scanning technology in mail centres, along with sorting machines for first and second class to determine if we will go to a specific door that day. For example, No first or second class, but a packet for #10 Smith Drive = economy mail will go with the packet to the house. First or second class letter, but no packet = economy mail will go with normal letters.
You'll still have to go through your boxes of sequenced mail. Any mech letters we get through on a given night will be sequenced together (1st class, 2nd class or this new Economy Mail thing) and sent to the DO
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Re: Economy mail

Post by Celgar »

It sounds like nearly as stupid a concept as bench merging to be honest. It is fairly rare that I would have just one letter for any address point so unless it meant we hold back all DSA mail until certain days I don't see this idea having any effect.
Would be much better to renegotiate the DSA system so RM retain more of the revenue rather than cutting the price further.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.