ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bikes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Bikes

Post by Seymour Buts »

SpacePhoenix wrote:Would bikes even be allowed now under mail integrity rules (too easy for a thief to nick a bike)?
I would assume rather than delivering mail from the bike, people have been cycling out to their walks as oppose to sharing a van to get there. You could then work out the back of van with a lwt as normal with the partner driving. There's no way you could deliver what we do on a bike nowadays.
mbavelja
Posts: 60
Joined: 19 Sep 2009, 12:55
Gender: Male

Bikes

Post by mbavelja »

So it is not allowed:
I received this today from justsayit.

I must apologise for possibly providing mis-leading information. I have re-read what the DOM sent me and it was not confirmed that cycles were being used to connect with vans as the DOM was not clear at that point what modes of transport colleagues were using from their homes to meet the vans. I have been in touch with our Senior HSE team who confirmed what you rightly pointed out that cycles are not permitted. I have written to the DOM and explained if any of the team are using cycles then this should stop.

I think the confusion arose because of this snippet:
6. Another option that could be considered is for OPGs to use either local council cycles and/or maybe their own private cycles as an option to the first delivery point.

But if I have understood correctly you can travel by cycle to the first delivery point from your home but not from work.
Round up the usual suspects.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Bikes

Post by scoobydo79 »

mbavelja wrote:So it is not allowed:
I received this today from justsayit.

I must apologise for possibly providing mis-leading information. I have re-read what the DOM sent me and it was not confirmed that cycles were being used to connect with vans as the DOM was not clear at that point what modes of transport colleagues were using from their homes to meet the vans. I have been in touch with our Senior HSE team who confirmed what you rightly pointed out that cycles are not permitted. I have written to the DOM and explained if any of the team are using cycles then this should stop.

I think the confusion arose because of this snippet:
6. Another option that could be considered is for OPGs to use either local council cycles and/or maybe their own private cycles as an option to the first delivery point.

But if I have understood correctly you can travel by cycle to the first delivery point from your home but not from work.
That’s bloody ridiculous.Especially if You cycle to Your office from home anyway.Who the F in RM thinks this up? No one in My office used their bike on delivery.It was just to get to their first loop and back afterwards
mbavelja
Posts: 60
Joined: 19 Sep 2009, 12:55
Gender: Male

Bikes

Post by mbavelja »

I assume it is to do with liability.
If you have an accident on the way to work RM aren't liable.
If you have an accident at work then they are.
Round up the usual suspects.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Bikes

Post by postslippete »

The weird thing about this is that I've seen posties put their bikes in the van with the intention of cycling home. Whats to stop then from cycling to the loops as they aren't allowed van share??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Bikes

Post by scoobydo79 »

.... But they were alright with us using them for the best part of 120 years? I raise the Bullshit Flag! During The lockdown our DOM would have let us use a circus unicycle if it meant we wouldn’t fail. RM are the biggest Bull sh1tters I’ve ever worked for.All whilst encouraging the cycle to work scheme in The Courier . :roll:
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Bikes

Post by Woody Guthrie »

.... But they were alright with us using them for the best part of 120 years?
No they weren't.
It has never been alright to use private cycles on delivery.
Only dead fish follow the current