ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Part Timers Being Shafted

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hendrixstrat
Posts: 12
Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 16:46
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by hendrixstrat »

Have to agree with the majority on this.

No chance of earning any OT while this is going on, which I would argue the majority of P/t rely on. Yet you have posties doing firms finishing around 10;30, then going home and coming back to do an SA. All the walks on OT are getting snapped up by people in the morning.

All this while my wife isn't earning.

I checked my contract and any change to start times has to be done by letter. RM are in breech of contract law by not doing this.

Also during these hours you aren't likely to see your union rep.

The union really need to get it's act together regarding part timers and the way they are treated differently to full timers.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Lao Tzu
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by maisymoo04 »

HTPostman wrote:I feel for you, you’re getting a raw deal. I am also doing 1 while 6 however it’s through choice. I believe however RM have to give notice to change your start time, so they can’t just ring up at 11.30 and ask you to come in now. It will be in your contract.

When I mention how unfair it is that all PT staff are starting at 1pm to a FT member of staff I’m told ‘we’ve all had to do it and work our way up’ which is a load of rubbish, I don’t ever remember in years gone by postmen being made/asked to do 1pm till 6pm.

And like you say we then get the usual ‘you’re late today’ and ‘did you sleep in’ from the public, day after day.

What I’m about to say will be unpopular but if ever Rico wanted a bigger no vote next time the union ballot for strike action, all he’d have to do is target the part timers and dangle a few carrots in that direction because a lot are fed up. There’s the same staff coming back from their rounds at 12.30 and getting paid till 3, there’s the same tracked parcels for that block of flats on the round next to yours that somehow ends up on your frame all so Billy Bob doesn’t have to go up the stairs and can save 2 minutes.

It would be amazing if we just worked together, stopped trying to shaft each other (leave that to managers).
WORK TOGETHER ??
having a laff arnt ye the part timers don't give a sh@@ in our office look after themselves all time . fast enough putting there hand up (CAN I COME IN EARLY PLEASE BOSS ) its the P/T that our destroying the job always said this. No when you all went for the job interview did it say P/T ??? so stop moaning if its not PRO ROTA its DELIVERY PAYMENT list goes on :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :chuckle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by Tinoblade »

maisymoo04 wrote:
HTPostman wrote:I feel for you, you’re getting a raw deal. I am also doing 1 while 6 however it’s through choice. I believe however RM have to give notice to change your start time, so they can’t just ring up at 11.30 and ask you to come in now. It will be in your contract.

When I mention how unfair it is that all PT staff are starting at 1pm to a FT member of staff I’m told ‘we’ve all had to do it and work our way up’ which is a load of rubbish, I don’t ever remember in years gone by postmen being made/asked to do 1pm till 6pm.

And like you say we then get the usual ‘you’re late today’ and ‘did you sleep in’ from the public, day after day.

What I’m about to say will be unpopular but if ever Rico wanted a bigger no vote next time the union ballot for strike action, all he’d have to do is target the part timers and dangle a few carrots in that direction because a lot are fed up. There’s the same staff coming back from their rounds at 12.30 and getting paid till 3, there’s the same tracked parcels for that block of flats on the round next to yours that somehow ends up on your frame all so Billy Bob doesn’t have to go up the stairs and can save 2 minutes.

It would be amazing if we just worked together, stopped trying to shaft each other (leave that to managers).
WORK TOGETHER ??
having a laff arnt ye the part timers don't give a sh@@ in our office look after themselves all time . fast enough putting there hand up (CAN I COME IN EARLY PLEASE BOSS ) its the P/T that our destroying the job always said this. No when you all went for the job interview did it say P/T ??? so stop moaning if its not PRO ROTA its DELIVERY PAYMENT list goes on :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :chuckle
How do you mean look after themselves?
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

maisymoo04 wrote:WORK TOGETHER ??
having a laff arnt ye the part timers don't give a sh@@ in our office look after themselves all time . fast enough putting there hand up (CAN I COME IN EARLY PLEASE BOSS ) its the P/T that our destroying the job always said this. No when you all went for the job interview did it say P/T ??? so stop moaning if its not PRO ROTA its DELIVERY PAYMENT list goes on :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :chuckle
It sounds like they are not going to get solidarity from you. All ours have mine.
Fdeezy
Posts: 48
Joined: 28 Jul 2019, 21:12
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by Fdeezy »

maisymoo04 wrote:its the P/T that our destroying the job always said this.
:left: :left: :left:

"Rico's gone, who can we blame now?!"

Why/how are we destroying the job?
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by HTPostman »

maisymoo04 wrote:
HTPostman wrote:I feel for you, you’re getting a raw deal. I am also doing 1 while 6 however it’s through choice. I believe however RM have to give notice to change your start time, so they can’t just ring up at 11.30 and ask you to come in now. It will be in your contract.

When I mention how unfair it is that all PT staff are starting at 1pm to a FT member of staff I’m told ‘we’ve all had to do it and work our way up’ which is a load of rubbish, I don’t ever remember in years gone by postmen being made/asked to do 1pm till 6pm.

And like you say we then get the usual ‘you’re late today’ and ‘did you sleep in’ from the public, day after day.

What I’m about to say will be unpopular but if ever Rico wanted a bigger no vote next time the union ballot for strike action, all he’d have to do is target the part timers and dangle a few carrots in that direction because a lot are fed up. There’s the same staff coming back from their rounds at 12.30 and getting paid till 3, there’s the same tracked parcels for that block of flats on the round next to yours that somehow ends up on your frame all so Billy Bob doesn’t have to go up the stairs and can save 2 minutes.

It would be amazing if we just worked together, stopped trying to shaft each other (leave that to managers).
WORK TOGETHER ??
having a laff arnt ye the part timers don't give a sh@@ in our office look after themselves all time . fast enough putting there hand up (CAN I COME IN EARLY PLEASE BOSS ) its the P/T that our destroying the job always said this. No when you all went for the job interview did it say P/T ??? so stop moaning if its not PRO ROTA its DELIVERY PAYMENT list goes on :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :chuckle
As I’ve said countless times we are all to blame. Not just one group but all of us:

Top management for coming up with bad idea after bad idea.

Lower management for not standing up to them and telling them the ideas are crap.

DOMs and Lino’s for agreeing to stupid deals, ghost OT etc.

FT for coming in early, doing anything they can to save 5 minutes even if it means shafting you.

PT for coming in early, not taking breaks, agreeing to use cars.

Union for not addressing the 2 tier workforce and not making one claim for holiday pay, instead making us all do individual claims.

Workplace coaches who rarely coach. Ours works his chuffing holidays!

Everywhere I look everyone is doing this job for themselves, there’s a handful in every office who will do what they can to help you, don’t come in early, offer advice if you’re on a walk blind. But that’s about it.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

maisymoo04 wrote: WORK TOGETHER ??
having a laff arnt ye the part timers don't give a sh@@ in our office look after themselves all time . fast enough putting there hand up (CAN I COME IN EARLY PLEASE BOSS ) its the P/T that our destroying the job always said this. No when you all went for the job interview did it say P/T ??? so stop moaning if its not PRO ROTA its DELIVERY PAYMENT list goes on :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :chuckle
It is also those people who think others are destroying the job that are doing what they accuse others of. A little empathy, and a little understanding of others situation and actually trying to help them, whether through advice or solidarity and this job would be better than it is.

Don't forget when you point a finger at someone, you have 3 pointing back at you.
index.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by Jamesfr3man »

maisymoo04 wrote:
HTPostman wrote:I feel for you, you’re getting a raw deal. I am also doing 1 while 6 however it’s through choice. I believe however RM have to give notice to change your start time, so they can’t just ring up at 11.30 and ask you to come in now. It will be in your contract.

When I mention how unfair it is that all PT staff are starting at 1pm to a FT member of staff I’m told ‘we’ve all had to do it and work our way up’ which is a load of rubbish, I don’t ever remember in years gone by postmen being made/asked to do 1pm till 6pm.

And like you say we then get the usual ‘you’re late today’ and ‘did you sleep in’ from the public, day after day.

What I’m about to say will be unpopular but if ever Rico wanted a bigger no vote next time the union ballot for strike action, all he’d have to do is target the part timers and dangle a few carrots in that direction because a lot are fed up. There’s the same staff coming back from their rounds at 12.30 and getting paid till 3, there’s the same tracked parcels for that block of flats on the round next to yours that somehow ends up on your frame all so Billy Bob doesn’t have to go up the stairs and can save 2 minutes.

It would be amazing if we just worked together, stopped trying to shaft each other (leave that to managers).
WORK TOGETHER ??
having a laff arnt ye the part timers don't give a sh@@ in our office look after themselves all time . fast enough putting there hand up (CAN I COME IN EARLY PLEASE BOSS ) its the P/T that our destroying the job always said this. No when you all went for the job interview did it say P/T ??? so stop moaning if its not PRO ROTA its DELIVERY PAYMENT list goes on :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :chuckle
Just a heads up but RM aren't employing F/T workers from the get go like they used to, only P/T positions. I took this job as a P/T with the vain hope of maybe being made up to full hours but now I'm trapped with the current job market, we all have bills to pay and a P/T job isn't enough so we have to rely on O/T to make up our wages. And with RM not making staff F/T what choice to we have? What frustrates me among everything else is how F/T get paid a full wage and only work half most of the time and then they scoop up all the S/A and other O/T work becasue they've finished early and we don't even get a look in. They complain about US not doing the job properly or "its the P/T that our destroying the job" all the while they finish early, don't take all their O/S, absorption or tracked and we're loaded with it, in some cases I deliver more parcels and letters in a day for less money and in a shorter time than my F/T counter parts, and WE are the problem? Grow up...
Strong bull
Posts: 120
Joined: 17 May 2012, 10:34
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by Strong bull »

Jamesfr3man wrote:
maisymoo04 wrote:
HTPostman wrote:I feel for you, you’re getting a raw deal. I am also doing 1 while 6 however it’s through choice. I believe however RM have to give notice to change your start time, so they can’t just ring up at 11.30 and ask you to come in now. It will be in your contract.

When I mention how unfair it is that all PT staff are starting at 1pm to a FT member of staff I’m told ‘we’ve all had to do it and work our way up’ which is a load of rubbish, I don’t ever remember in years gone by postmen being made/asked to do 1pm till 6pm.

And like you say we then get the usual ‘you’re late today’ and ‘did you sleep in’ from the public, day after day.

What I’m about to say will be unpopular but if ever Rico wanted a bigger no vote next time the union ballot for strike action, all he’d have to do is target the part timers and dangle a few carrots in that direction because a lot are fed up. There’s the same staff coming back from their rounds at 12.30 and getting paid till 3, there’s the same tracked parcels for that block of flats on the round next to yours that somehow ends up on your frame all so Billy Bob doesn’t have to go up the stairs and can save 2 minutes.

It would be amazing if we just worked together, stopped trying to shaft each other (leave that to managers).
WORK TOGETHER ??
having a laff arnt ye the part timers don't give a sh@@ in our office look after themselves all time . fast enough putting there hand up (CAN I COME IN EARLY PLEASE BOSS ) its the P/T that our destroying the job always said this. No when you all went for the job interview did it say P/T ??? so stop moaning if its not PRO ROTA its DELIVERY PAYMENT list goes on :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :chuckle
Just a heads up but RM aren't employing F/T workers from the get go like they used to, only P/T positions. I took this job as a P/T with the vain hope of maybe being made up to full hours but now I'm trapped with the current job market, we all have bills to pay and a P/T job isn't enough so we have to rely on O/T to make up our wages. And with RM not making staff F/T what choice to we have? What frustrates me among everything else is how F/T get paid a full wage and only work half most of the time and then they scoop up all the S/A and other O/T work becasue they've finished early and we don't even get a look in. They complain about US not doing the job properly or "its the P/T that our destroying the job" all the while they finish early, don't take all their O/S, absorption or tracked and we're loaded with it, in some cases I deliver more parcels and letters in a day for less money and in a shorter time than my F/T counter parts, and WE are the problem? Grow up...
The most sensible and truthful post I've read on here in ages. Agree 100% . We have F/T was who manage to come in early, snap up all the SA and late packets as well as working pretty much every day off(and moan like he'll if they cant) however P/T workers don't get a look in unless the DOM is absolutely desperate.

And before anyone bleats on about you knew it was a PT job when you joined I was told at the interview that I would get made up to FT after a year. I started 10 years ago and still i am on a 25 hr contract .
andyman606
Posts: 80
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 18:40
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by andyman606 »

Please don't upset the apple cart we have had to work our way up to doing half the hours for full time pay- we had to work through the hard 70/80/90's on our bike with two bundles finishing at 10:30 with only in house pub to rehydrate us. We are senior to you we can't be expected to do a full days work we should get the best rounds & easy overtime you part timers are new you should do 75% of the work whilst we relax you know we deserve it.....shut up and take the punishment for been part timers we run the show any changes will only affect your kind we are protected by the union/Dom-don't mess with the status quo newcomers we have an entitlement to the crème we are senior we are Royal Mail don't you forget it!!!
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by maisymoo04 »

:nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :nana :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by maisymoo04 »

andyman606 wrote:Please don't upset the apple cart we have had to work our way up to doing half the hours for full time pay- we had to work through the hard 70/80/90's on our bike with two bundles finishing at 10:30 with only in house pub to rehydrate us. We are senior to you we can't be expected to do a full days work we should get the best rounds & easy overtime you part timers are new you should do 75% of the work whilst we relax you know we deserve it.....shut up and take the punishment for been part timers we run the show any changes will only affect your kind we are protected by the union/Dom-don't mess with the status quo newcomers we have an entitlement to the crème we are senior we are Royal Mail don't you forget it!!!
:Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by maisymoo04 »

Strong bull wrote:
Jamesfr3man wrote:
maisymoo04 wrote:
HTPostman wrote:I feel for you, you’re getting a raw deal. I am also doing 1 while 6 however it’s through choice. I believe however RM have to give notice to change your start time, so they can’t just ring up at 11.30 and ask you to come in now. It will be in your contract.

When I mention how unfair it is that all PT staff are starting at 1pm to a FT member of staff I’m told ‘we’ve all had to do it and work our way up’ which is a load of rubbish, I don’t ever remember in years gone by postmen being made/asked to do 1pm till 6pm.

And like you say we then get the usual ‘you’re late today’ and ‘did you sleep in’ from the public, day after day.

What I’m about to say will be unpopular but if ever Rico wanted a bigger no vote next time the union ballot for strike action, all he’d have to do is target the part timers and dangle a few carrots in that direction because a lot are fed up. There’s the same staff coming back from their rounds at 12.30 and getting paid till 3, there’s the same tracked parcels for that block of flats on the round next to yours that somehow ends up on your frame all so Billy Bob doesn’t have to go up the stairs and can save 2 minutes.

It would be amazing if we just worked together, stopped trying to shaft each other (leave that to managers).
WORK TOGETHER ??
having a laff arnt ye the part timers don't give a sh@@ in our office look after themselves all time . fast enough putting there hand up (CAN I COME IN EARLY PLEASE BOSS ) its the P/T that our destroying the job always said this. No when you all went for the job interview did it say P/T ??? so stop moaning if its not PRO ROTA its DELIVERY PAYMENT list goes on :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :cuppa :chuckle
Just a heads up but RM aren't employing F/T workers from the get go like they used to, only P/T positions. I took this job as a P/T with the vain hope of maybe being made up to full hours but now I'm trapped with the current job market, we all have bills to pay and a P/T job isn't enough so we have to rely on O/T to make up our wages. And with RM not making staff F/T what choice to we have? What frustrates me among everything else is how F/T get paid a full wage and only work half most of the time and then they scoop up all the S/A and other O/T work becasue they've finished early and we don't even get a look in. They complain about US not doing the job properly or "its the P/T that our destroying the job" all the while they finish early, don't take all their O/S, absorption or tracked and we're loaded with it, in some cases I deliver more parcels and letters in a day for less money and in a shorter time than my F/T counter parts, and WE are the problem? Grow up...
The most sensible and truthful post I've read on here in ages. Agree 100% . We have F/T was who manage to come in early, snap up all the SA and late packets as well as working pretty much every day off(and moan like he'll if they cant) however P/T workers don't get a look in unless the DOM is absolutely desperate.

And before anyone bleats on about you knew it was a PT job when you joined I was told at the interview that I would get made up to FT after a year. I started 10 years ago and still i am on a 25 hr contract .
jamesfr3man and strongbull me heart bleeds for you both :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :cuppa :cuppa
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by clashcityrocker »

maisymoo04 wrote:

jamesfr3man and strongbull me heart bleeds for you both :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo! :cuppa :cuppa
And it is that attitude that will signal the end of the union.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Part Timers Being Shafted

Post by Woody Guthrie »

There's some really idiotic posts on this thread coming from both full-time and part-time.

I guess that's the only real equality in Royal Mail.
Only dead fish follow the current