Yeah, that manager of yours definitely sounds like a prick lacking a shred of empathy. Just curious, but is his name Donald Trump?hivisvest wrote:The line manager was on his day off and nobody came to cover him so I think my manager didn't want to leave the office unattended. The real reason is probably just because he didn't care about him at all, he's a real prick most of the time but even this behavior was shocking coming from himPostmanBitesDog wrote:I'm wondering why the manager didn't get in his car or an RM van and come out to offer assistance. In our office, most of our Delivery Line Managers (DLMs) do this in a serious situation such as the one you described. Our DLMs step in to cover when needed. Or at least this manager in your case could've accompanied your partner to the hospital.hivisvest wrote:I only called the manager as a courtesy so he'd be able to start organising coverWASD wrote:Sorry to read this, it actually angers me reading this. Your manager is moron and will cross the wrong person at some point. Personally i would of not even phoned the manager until at the hospital.
Any customer would not care that a product wasn't delivered if someone had a heart attack. Health is #1, money comes way further down the line.
My advice is start recording phone calls and using a secret camera. Play it by the book, don't let people like this get to you. The other alternative isn't forum friendly. The rep sounds like a waste of space also.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Disgusted with lack of empathy
-
PostmanBitesDog
- Posts: 1428
- Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Disgusted with lack of empathy
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Disgusted with lack of empathy
To the Original poster it is typical RM managers the don't give a f**k unless it involves them working and and things not covered or unforeseen ie someone having a heart attack is work for them bless their merry little poor bum cheeks that they should leave their perch that some other less deserving parasite should occupy it whilst one of his/her staff is at deaths door. I would say this don't take any s**t for this manager if they even try getting rid of you take it all the way and even if they don't you know this but never trust them again!
-
andyman606
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 18:40
- Gender: Male
Disgusted with lack of empathy
Should we really have to put up with such behaviour in a modern workplace in the UK maybe some employment laws/ court cases are pending in this institution.
Getting away with too much this firm if you did this in the city abuse claims would be flying everywhere!
Getting away with too much this firm if you did this in the city abuse claims would be flying everywhere!
-
Sugar
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 07:57
- Gender: Female
Disgusted with lack of empathy
Have a word with your office union rep about reporting this to area rep, health and safety rep and getting it pushed higher up the union chain so that they can deal with it even if it means contacting union HQ in London to get this manager reported and dealt with. Threatening you in that manner with wilful delay and issuing a stage 1 to your colleague for having a heart attack on delivery is despicable and they don't deserve to be in charge of others.hivisvest wrote:This happened a couple of weeks ago and I've tried to let it go but I am still furious and need to vent.
I have worked for royal mail for a few years now and for most of them I have been on a shared van duty with the same partner. We have become very good friends obviously after being together for multiple hours, five days a week for years. On the day in question we were nearly finished our round and making great time because it was an incredibly quiet day, everything was great until we were at the van after a loop and he collapsed with chest pains (it was later found out he had actually had a heart attack) and I had to call an ambulance. This was obviously a very stressful situation, I was on the phone to 999 whilst trying to calm him down. The ambulance arrived after a few minutes (it felt like hours) and whilst they were attending to him I called the office to let them know about the situation. Our manager asked me to put it on speaker phone to talk to my partner and the ambulance team. They explained that they were going to have to take him to the hospital, at this point he asked the ambulance team if I could come with him because I was his friend; before they could answer my manager cut in and said I would have to stay and continue delivery. My partner started crying because he didn't want to go alone so I said to my manager he could dock my days wages off of me and give it to someone who would finish the walk on overtime. I was told that that wouldn't be possible and I would have to let him go alone and continue. I basically told him to f*ck off (stupid I know but I was frustrated as I wanted to be there for my friend) and that I was going with him. I was told that if i went in the ambulance with him I would be charged with willful delay of mail and would be sacked.
How can royal mail have such little compassion? Thankfully he is ok now (apart from the stage he was issued!) and has recovered. But he could have died alone in the ambulance for all we knew and the only thing they cared about was the mail? Not once on the phone did my manager actually ask if he was ok, one of the first questions he asked was how many loops do you have left? I am disgusted by what happened and hate the company more than ever, which I thought would have been impossible.
Sorry for my rant, I am just angry that I was expected to go about my day as if my friend wasn't on deaths door. This situation has really made me rethink my job with royal mail, I don't think I can keep working for a company that treats people like this
What the hell has this company come to?
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Disgusted with lack of empathy
The line manager was on his day off and nobody came to cover him so I think my manager didn't want to leave the office unattended. The real reason is probably just because he didn't care about him at all, he's a real prick most of the time but even this behavior was shocking coming from him the bac. Total wwwwwwaaaaaannnnnnnkkkkkeeeeeerrrr. If that postman was my father or son I'd punch f**k out of the prick.hivisvest wrote:PostmanBitesDog wrote:I'm wondering why the manager didn't get in his car or an RM van and come out to offer assistance. In our office, most of our Delivery Line Managers (DLMs) do this in a serious situation such as the one you described. Our DLMs step in to cover when needed. Or at least this manager in your case could've accompanied your partner to the hospital.hivisvest wrote:I only called the manager as a courtesy so he'd be able to start organising coverWASD wrote:Sorry to read this, it actually angers me reading this. Your manager is moron and will cross the wrong person at some point. Personally i would of not even phoned the manager until at the hospital.
Any customer would not care that a product wasn't delivered if someone had a heart attack. Health is #1, money comes way further down the line.
My advice is start recording phone calls and using a secret camera. Play it by the book, don't let people like this get to you. The other alternative isn't forum friendly. The rep sounds like a waste of space also.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Disgusted with lack of empathy
Oh dear oh dear oh dear I havent been on this website for quite a while,then when I do I see this. What a way to treat an employee,I just cant believe what I am reading,I see nothing has changed with RM they are still as bad as ever.The poor postie probably thought they were dying and wanted to be with someone they knew. Then when thankfully recovered is issued with a stage! Oh dear RM you should be so ashamed!!!!!!!!hivisvest wrote:This happened a couple of weeks ago and I've tried to let it go but I am still furious and need to vent.
I have worked for royal mail for a few years now and for most of them I have been on a shared van duty with the same partner. We have become very good friends obviously after being together for multiple hours, five days a week for years. On the day in question we were nearly finished our round and making great time because it was an incredibly quiet day, everything was great until we were at the van after a loop and he collapsed with chest pains (it was later found out he had actually had a heart attack) and I had to call an ambulance. This was obviously a very stressful situation, I was on the phone to 999 whilst trying to calm him down. The ambulance arrived after a few minutes (it felt like hours) and whilst they were attending to him I called the office to let them know about the situation. Our manager asked me to put it on speaker phone to talk to my partner and the ambulance team. They explained that they were going to have to take him to the hospital, at this point he asked the ambulance team if I could come with him because I was his friend; before they could answer my manager cut in and said I would have to stay and continue delivery. My partner started crying because he didn't want to go alone so I said to my manager he could dock my days wages off of me and give it to someone who would finish the walk on overtime. I was told that that wouldn't be possible and I would have to let him go alone and continue. I basically told him to f*ck off (stupid I know but I was frustrated as I wanted to be there for my friend) and that I was going with him. I was told that if i went in the ambulance with him I would be charged with willful delay of mail and would be sacked.
How can royal mail have such little compassion? Thankfully he is ok now (apart from the stage he was issued!) and has recovered. But he could have died alone in the ambulance for all we knew and the only thing they cared about was the mail? Not once on the phone did my manager actually ask if he was ok, one of the first questions he asked was how many loops do you have left? I am disgusted by what happened and hate the company more than ever, which I thought would have been impossible.
Sorry for my rant, I am just angry that I was expected to go about my day as if my friend wasn't on deaths door. This situation has really made me rethink my job with royal mail, I don't think I can keep working for a company that treats people like this
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Disgusted with lack of empathy
Given the stressful and rather traumatic situation that you had just been through and dealt with it would have been potentially negligent for your DOM to allow you to continue driving that day, even if you said you wanted to, IMO.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Disgusted with lack of empathy
This needs to be seen far and wide on every media opportunity,name and shame them,and hold them to account,you simply couldn’t believe it,unless you work for this company and aware of just how they work,it’s not big or clever anymore,and needs to be challenged
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Disgusted with lack of empathy
Correct. This needs a wider audience. Name and shame the vile excuse for a human being!robbertwhitton wrote:This needs to be seen far and wide on every media opportunity,name and shame them,and hold them to account,you simply couldn’t believe it,unless you work for this company and aware of just how they work,it’s not big or clever anymore,and needs to be challenged
-
ThatsNotPlumb
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
- Gender: Male
Disgusted with lack of empathy
It's actually making me angry reading this, ambulance on scene, work colleague & more importantly sounds like an actual friend was obviously scared & didn't want to be alone in what very well could have been his final hours, yet you've a manager with so little people skills that they didn't have the common sense & compassion to say, go with him, don't worry about the remainder of the duty we'll get it sorted somehow.. cursing him out was probably the politest thing you could have done.
You did the right thing & I would like to think that if/when the rest of your colleagues at your DO heard about what happened, if they actually did try to discipline/sack you, that they'd all show full support & walk out.
You did the right thing & I would like to think that if/when the rest of your colleagues at your DO heard about what happened, if they actually did try to discipline/sack you, that they'd all show full support & walk out.
-
John Hooper
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 11 May 2008, 10:53
Disgusted with lack of empathy
Your local press would have an absolute field day with this. The same manager can't be allowed to do anything similar in the future.
Good luck to you and your colleague.
Good luck to you and your colleague.