ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I've got a feeling

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

I’ve got a feeling

Post by CharlesSpooner »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
norris9 wrote:There are some obvious things I can see on a day to day basis that could easily be done better.
I think you're confusing Royal Mail Higher Management with people that actually want to Improve the Company, and make it Better Norris. :hmmmm

All your points are very relevant... But only to us. :sad: IMO RM Higher Management just want to parachute into the Top Job ... Make Loads of Savings/Get rid of Lots of Staff ... Push the Short-Term Profits Up .... Take a Big Golden Handsake and then piss off to do the same somewhere else. :no no

Makes my Blood Boil ... I wouldn't mind if I thought their "Solutions" would actually make an improvement to the Business Long-Term, and give us better job security and improved T&Cs. They seem totally incapable of generating New Business, just grizzle about how Business isn't as good as it used to be ... well you're in Charge do something about it! :cuppa
The new packet system is being introduced to capitalise on the growing demand for a relatively cheap next day product capable of accepting items into the pipeline late into the evening. It's something the current system of one delivery leaving the office early on in the day is incapable of delivering.

It's exactly about generating new business.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

I’ve got a feeling

Post by Lincox »

Nothing wrong with creating a system for new business as long as the employees servicing this new business are paid on the same basis as the existing workforce, and are not forced to race around late afternoon and through the evening on zero hour contracts/minimum wage and health and safety is disregarded. It is also the case that this should not impact on staff servicing the existing system by creating workloads as a result of cutting walks, that are simply not achievable and may seriously impact the well being of many staff both physically and mentally.
To disregard the importance of mail and advertising at this point in time will be totally folly. Many people use Royal Mail to send packets and parcels because they are still regarded as a public service and a trustworthy institution. Once the sight of the regular delivery person is taken away from this business it will become the same as the Hermes and DPS companies. At that time the trust will disappear and it will be totally down to cost when people are looking just for fast delivery.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

I’ve got a feeling

Post by Dorset Plodder »

CharlesSpooner wrote:
The new packet system is being introduced to capitalise on the growing demand for a relatively cheap next day product capable of accepting items into the pipeline late into the evening. It's something the current system of one delivery leaving the office early on in the day is incapable of delivering.

It's exactly about generating new business.
Glad to hear it CP. I'm not against change, I think we'd all like to work in a successful business ... that could afford to pay a Decent Wage, with Decent T&CS. :thumbup I'd also like to see them trying to Develop/Revive the ailing mail sector of the business ... I suggested to the "Ambassador" that everytime We lose a contract RM should be visiting that customer and trying to win back that business, by undercutting our competitors .... We should be be pushing a "Send someone a letter" campaign, using TV & Internet Advertising (I'm sure the Spin Doctors could label it as "Retro" or "Vintage" and then all the Millenialls would jump on the latest trend)? :hmmmm

As Lincox says you can't just do away with mail because parcels are a better bet at the moment (although I realise that's exactly what short-term investors do). :no no We are a highly trusted business, with a good reputation, just talk to any of your customers who've had their parcels dooorstepped in the pouring rain by our competitors (despite notices to Leave it with a Neighbour), or have had their parcels delivered to the wrong address. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)