Letter from the Monthly Propaganda Magazine (aka Courier) August 2013 for this exact situation (no need to go to indoor):Bahia Feliz wrote:That's why I switch to indoor mode if i redeliver a special after 1pm after i have scanned it as no answer before 1pmJanet Brum wrote:It would change to delivered if it`s scanned afetr a no answer one, the tracking will show all the scans.
If it`s before 1 pm all good, it won`t flag up, if it`s after 1 pm it`s a problem.
And a similar letter Oct 2015 issue:Yesterday I delivered a Special Delivery package, but there was no reply. So I left a P739 card,
and walked back to my van after scanning the item. The customer then opened the door and said they had been in the
garden. I phoned the management and was told to tell the customer I had to return the item to the delivery office.
You can imagine the customer’s response, when I was there holding it! To give the best customer service I
could, I agreed to take it to the local post office for them to pick up within an hour. This made Royal Mail look
as if it did not care, and made me angry that I could not do my job and deliver the item.
This situation must occur daily with Special Deliveries, which are meant to be our flagship service. Why is there no time window on
the PDA to allow for this, or are management too worried about items failing on their reports?
David Popplestone, postman, Hedge End delivery office
Graham Wonham, premium products improvement manager, replies:
The correct procedure in this instance is to scan the barcode on the item again, scan
the item as delivered, obtain the customer’s signature and then hand over the item (in
other words, simply repeat the delivery procedure as you would for a new item).
The reporting systems for Special Delivery and Royal Mail Tracked take the first doorstep
scan event to stop the Quality of Service clock, so quality will not be affected if you
use this procedure. I hope this helps to clarify things and should prevent this situation from happening
in future.
So there you go - no need to go to 'Indoor Menu', just scan it again as you would normally and give the recipient a happy smileTim Stratton, quality and customer manager, replies:
This also applies when a postman or woman returns to deliver standard mail items,
after they have earlier attempted a Special Delivery. If a customer appears after
an item has been scanned as ‘not delivered’, colleagues can simply scan the item again, and
follow the ‘delivered’ process. This procedure is documented within our PDA training guides.
This second scan does not affect quality of service, as the original scan stops this performance
clock and this information should not get overwritten. We must be mindful that
under no circumstances should items be scanned as undelivered, without a delivery attempt
being made at the delivery point for the address on the item.
and off you go whistling down the path......