ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by postslippete »

Postmangit wrote:Same old crap every day, same old snide remarks every day. And I’m 30 year man. Those days when management brought in job & finish, great for us, but little did we know that it was probably an exercise to see how many hours were wasted & that’s where we are now ? PDA actually confirming this . Been told we need 200 hours out of our office yet there are hundreds of houses being built, how can this work. I’m glad I’m nearer the end of my working life & not at the start.
We were told many moons ago that PDA actuals were analysed and they could take out loads of hours out of the depot,but they haven't done it. The managers working in our office know why - just one look at them scrambling around to try and cover a duty when someone is on sick should give me the answer. I also think that it is one of the reasons why Royal Mail don't want to grant us a SWW. They know when staff come in on time and take a break,the job can't be done in the time,and even though there will always be posties that rush the job and make lapsing possible,they will soon turn when they duties have got 7 or 8 loops in it
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by p5aul789 »

There's no consistency regarding taking a break.

I working at another office for a few months a while ago, and in the morning before you went out, one of the managers said
"right all go and take a 20 minute break".

But not here, no one takes a break before going out, and you are not told to take a break or that you are entitled to one.

Also, everyone i've ever worked with on a van share works right through to finish and of course, we rarely finish on time!

None of the managers give a s**t about you, as long as you do you job, and it seems you can get sacked at the drop of a hat! Especially with the hard hitting c**ts we have in our office at the moment.
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by p5aul789 »

greengiant wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:I can safely say it's the worst job i've ever done! I absolutely hate it! I hate everything about it! I suffer from depression and am seriously thinking of packing it in!

I hate some of the shitty public i have to deal with! I hate the constant barking and yapping from dogs!

Now I am getting grief from a power crazy young under manager who I fear has got it in for me and is going to make my life hell!

As for taking a break! What's that all about?

I never have a break! If i did I would'nt finish on time!
Perhaps if the job is affecting your mental health that badly, see your GP to get signed off for a few weeks? That'll give you time to consider what you want to do job wise. No job is worth affecting your health over. Good luck.
Maybe getting signed off for a few weeks would be a good idea! It'll give me a break from the s**t. Any idea what sickness pay i am entitled to?

What annoys me, is that physically I am very fit, it's mentally i have the problem.

I see others off sick because they are unfit with various fairily pathetic ailments.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by joewyan »

p5aul789 wrote:
greengiant wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:I can safely say it's the worst job i've ever done! I absolutely hate it! I hate everything about it! I suffer from depression and am seriously thinking of packing it in!

I hate some of the shitty public i have to deal with! I hate the constant barking and yapping from dogs!

Now I am getting grief from a power crazy young under manager who I fear has got it in for me and is going to make my life hell!

As for taking a break! What's that all about?

I never have a break! If i did I would'nt finish on time!
Perhaps if the job is affecting your mental health that badly, see your GP to get signed off for a few weeks? That'll give you time to consider what you want to do job wise. No job is worth affecting your health over. Good luck.
Maybe getting signed off for a few weeks would be a good idea! It'll give me a break from the s**t. Any idea what sickness pay i am entitled to?

What annoys me, is that physically I am very fit, it's mentally i have the problem.

I see others off sick because they are unfit with various fairily pathetic ailments.
If you don’t like dealing with the public this isn’t the best job for you unfortunately.
What might be a fairly pathetic ailment to you might be quite different to someone else.
Do you know why you aren’t completing the rounds? Is it because you don’t know them as are being constantly moved around as a reserve or is it because you aren’t getting out on time? Do other posties in your office struggle to get done?
hero22
Posts: 595
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by hero22 »

p5aul789 wrote:
greengiant wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:I can safely say it's the worst job i've ever done! I absolutely hate it! I hate everything about it! I suffer from depression and am seriously thinking of packing it in!

I hate some of the shitty public i have to deal with! I hate the constant barking and yapping from dogs!

Now I am getting grief from a power crazy young under manager who I fear has got it in for me and is going to make my life hell!

As for taking a break! What's that all about?

I never have a break! If i did I would'nt finish on time!
Perhaps if the job is affecting your mental health that badly, see your GP to get signed off for a few weeks? That'll give you time to consider what you want to do job wise. No job is worth affecting your health over. Good luck.
Maybe getting signed off for a few weeks would be a good idea! It'll give me a break from the s**t. Any idea what sickness pay i am entitled to?

What annoys me, is that physically I am very fit, it's mentally i have the problem.

I see others off sick because they are unfit with various fairily pathetic ailments.


Complete sympathy for people with genuine mental issues, doesn't give you the right to question others ailments. If you hate the job, people , dogs and everything else why not find a new job ?
Also if u have been on this forum since 2012 how can you not know what sickness pay you are entitled to ?
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by Seymour Buts »

hero22 wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:
greengiant wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:I can safely say it's the worst job i've ever done! I absolutely hate it! I hate everything about it! I suffer from depression and am seriously thinking of packing it in!

I hate some of the shitty public i have to deal with! I hate the constant barking and yapping from dogs!

Now I am getting grief from a power crazy young under manager who I fear has got it in for me and is going to make my life hell!

As for taking a break! What's that all about?

I never have a break! If i did I would'nt finish on time!
Perhaps if the job is affecting your mental health that badly, see your GP to get signed off for a few weeks? That'll give you time to consider what you want to do job wise. No job is worth affecting your health over. Good luck.
Maybe getting signed off for a few weeks would be a good idea! It'll give me a break from the s**t. Any idea what sickness pay i am entitled to?

What annoys me, is that physically I am very fit, it's mentally i have the problem.

I see others off sick because they are unfit with various fairily pathetic ailments.


Complete sympathy for people with genuine mental issues, doesn't give you the right to question others ailments. If you hate the job, people , dogs and everything else why not find a new job ?
Also if u have been on this forum since 2012 how can you not know what sickness pay you are entitled to ?
You're entitled to full pay for anything up to six months off.
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by p5aul789 »

hero22 wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:
greengiant wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:I can safely say it's the worst job i've ever done! I absolutely hate it! I hate everything about it! I suffer from depression and am seriously thinking of packing it in!

I hate some of the shitty public i have to deal with! I hate the constant barking and yapping from dogs!

Now I am getting grief from a power crazy young under manager who I fear has got it in for me and is going to make my life hell!

As for taking a break! What's that all about?

I never have a break! If i did I would'nt finish on time!
Perhaps if the job is affecting your mental health that badly, see your GP to get signed off for a few weeks? That'll give you time to consider what you want to do job wise. No job is worth affecting your health over. Good luck.
Maybe getting signed off for a few weeks would be a good idea! It'll give me a break from the s**t. Any idea what sickness pay i am entitled to?

What annoys me, is that physically I am very fit, it's mentally i have the problem.

I see others off sick because they are unfit with various fairily pathetic ailments.


Complete sympathy for people with genuine mental issues, doesn't give you the right to question others ailments. If you hate the job, people , dogs and everything else why not find a new job ?
Also if u have been on this forum since 2012 how can you not know what sickness pay you are entitled to ?
I didn't mean to be rude regarding other people off sick with ailments.

I was simply making a point out of a source of frustration to myself! I find a lot of people relatively unfit.

Why don't you find another job? That is a very good point!

I have suffered from depression for years. Whatever job I have done i have been depressed.

I would love to do something else.

I have been working for RM since 2014, I started off with a Saturday only position.

I now have a 25 hour contract. I took the job because the exercise does me good.
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

So its not the job its a condition you where already suffering with.

So my question why is it a crap job.

A pointless topic really
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by redneck »

A great job almost completely ruined by bullying and arrogant management, and those we work with who have been broken by them. Where else would you work where your colleagues come in early, don't take any break, and race round trying to break records every day to be rewarded with any o/t going? A few stay on a Saturday pm in their own time too to throw up D2D's on their frame. Incredible corruption throughout the company. The working for nothing club.
hero22
Posts: 595
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by hero22 »

p5aul789 wrote:
hero22 wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:
greengiant wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:I can safely say it's the worst job i've ever done! I absolutely hate it! I hate everything about it! I suffer from depression and am seriously thinking of packing it in!

I hate some of the shitty public i have to deal with! I hate the constant barking and yapping from dogs!

Now I am getting grief from a power crazy young under manager who I fear has got it in for me and is going to make my life hell!

As for taking a break! What's that all about?

I never have a break! If i did I would'nt finish on time!
Perhaps if the job is affecting your mental health that badly, see your GP to get signed off for a few weeks? That'll give you time to consider what you want to do job wise. No job is worth affecting your health over. Good luck.
Maybe getting signed off for a few weeks would be a good idea! It'll give me a break from the s**t. Any idea what sickness pay i am entitled to?

What annoys me, is that physically I am very fit, it's mentally i have the problem.

I see others off sick because they are unfit with various fairily pathetic ailments.


Complete sympathy for people with genuine mental issues, doesn't give you the right to question others ailments. If you hate the job, people , dogs and everything else why not find a new job ?
Also if u have been on this forum since 2012 how can you not know what sickness pay you are entitled to ?
I didn't mean to be rude regarding other people off sick with ailments.

I was simply making a point out of a source of frustration to myself! I find a lot of people relatively unfit.

Why don't you find another job? That is a very good point!

I have suffered from depression for years. Whatever job I have done i have been depressed.

I would love to do something else.

I have been working for RM since 2014, I started off with a Saturday only position.

I now have a 25 hour contract. I took the job because the exercise does me good.
Don't get me wrong mate, know its difficult to find a new job and even harder being the new person etc. Just find a lot of people in this job especially in my office who complain about what an awful job it is and when u ask why they don't leave, they list all the benefits of it. I know managers try their best to destroy it but realistically we are in a pretty good job at the moment. But I do feel for you and those in similar positions who suffer with their mental health. Also if your happy with 25 hours a week, you are in a good position just to work to your time and work to rule etc. I know in my office those of us who have a lesser contract but do extra hours are cut down to contracted hours if we refuse to work on etc.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by maisymoo04 »

wacko74 wrote:It's the disparity between the duties that annoys me the most about the job... it's no wonder the old timers can carry on doing this job well into their 60's, on rounds that haven't changed for decades, whilst posties who started 20 years after them are having to jack it in in their 40's because their ankles, knees, hips have turned to dust.
talking wacko wacko :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by rambo1 »

wacko74 wrote:It's the disparity between the duties that annoys me the most about the job... it's no wonder the old timers can carry on doing this job well into their 60's, on rounds that haven't changed for decades, whilst posties who started 20 years after them are having to jack it in in their 40's because their ankles, knees, hips have turned to dust.
Yes there is discrepancy however, I seriously doubt there is an office that hasn't had a revision in 'decades'.
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by Phantom »

p5aul789 wrote:There's no consistency regarding taking a break.

I working at another office for a few months a while ago, and in the morning before you went out, one of the managers said
"right all go and take a 20 minute break".

But not here, no one takes a break before going out, and you are not told to take a break or that you are entitled to one.

Also, everyone i've ever worked with on a van share works right through to finish and of course, we rarely finish on time!

None of the managers give a s**t about you, as long as you do you job, and it seems you can get sacked at the drop of a hat! Especially with the hard hitting c**ts we have in our office at the moment.
You're paid to work and deliver mail and you do it.

You're paid to take a meal break but you don't???????
CUT OFF!!!
Shepster
Posts: 3
Joined: 20 Jul 2019, 10:06
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by Shepster »

The job is what you make of it.

I’ve only been doing the job for a few months and genuinely quite enjoy it. I’m a morning person and like to be outdoors and active. Sure, some days when the weather is dreadful it can be a bit annoying but everybody is pleased to see me on the round and it’s stress free.

My previous job paid almost three times as much but meant so much stress that I wasn’t sleeping or enjoying life. Now, I finish work and don’t have to think about it again till the alarm goes off in the morning. That is well worth the pay cut.

If you’re not happy, slating the job, the staff and the RM will not make a difference. Try to be solution focussed rather than negative. Talk to your doc about some CBT, certainly changed my thought processes.
Kesknight
Posts: 98
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 22:00
Gender: Male

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

Post by Kesknight »

Just do your own thing. Start on your proper time and go home on your finishing time. If you can't complete your round in the time, it's not your problem. Theres no manager or anybody else can bully you.